PDA

View Full Version : i need help

ss_11000
8th February 2006, 09:56 PM
hi all

i need help with glue selection.:confused: i've found good glues for wood but all the ones i've tried with acrylic haven't worked.

this has questions probably been posted b4 so if it is could u point me in that direction.:)

macca2
8th February 2006, 10:29 PM
G'day SS, I use superglue. I have tried cheap brands and the dearer ones sold by Carbetec etc.
For me they all work.
Before using the glue I put the brass sleeves onto the mandel and mount it in the lathe. I then clean (at low speed) the brass sleeves with 400 grit paper. This cleans the brass and gives a surface for the glue to adhere to.
Good luck.

Macca

ozwinner
9th February 2006, 05:55 PM
i need help

If youve come here, you sure do.......

Al :D

ss_11000
9th February 2006, 10:25 PM
i need help

If youve come here, you sure do.......

Al :D
its so true

joez
10th February 2006, 12:31 PM
Hi ss_11000,

Superglue is one option, but I prefer 5 minute epoxy (the 2 part stuff).

It gives more working time and has better gap filling properties than standard (thin) super glue.

It also doesnt end up gluing my fingers to the blank. ;)

Joez

ss_11000
10th February 2006, 06:08 PM
It also doesnt end up gluing my fingers to the blank. ;)

Joez[/quote]

yeah thats annoying.

with 5 min epoxy, does it matter if u dont mix it dead even?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th February 2006, 07:58 PM
Yes... you should mix it properly.

Personally, I prefer normal Araldite to the 5-min stuff. The 24hr drying time still only gives a practical working time of around an hour, but it gives plenty of leeway for mixing and cleaning out the tube after gluing. I hate it when the 5-min stuff starts to thicken up (especially in hot weather) and "blobs" the end of the tube when inserting it into the blank... it just makes for extra work to clean it up.

I've made a stand with a 6x6 grid of 4" nails that I use for glue-ups... I'll sit down for an hour or so and prepare up to 18 pen blanks at a time, storing one part on each nail. This method saves me wasting glue when mixing a batch and also gives me a few days work without needing to muck around prepping things.

darley56
11th February 2006, 09:53 AM

"blobs" the end of the tube when inserting it into the blank... it just makes for extra work to clean it up.

Use potatoe to block 1 end of the tube and no glue will go in it :cool: so no cleaning:D

ss_11000
11th February 2006, 10:44 AM

Personally, I prefer normal Araldite to the 5-min stuff. The 24hr drying time still only gives a practical working time of around an hour, but it gives plenty of leeway for mixing and cleaning out the tube after gluing. I hate it when the 5-min stuff starts to thicken up (especially in hot weather) and "blobs" the end of the tube when inserting it into the blank... it just makes for extra work to clean it up.

I've made a stand with a 6x6 grid of 4" nails that I use for glue-ups... I'll sit down for an hour or so and prepare up to 18 pen blanks at a time, storing one part on each nail. This method saves me wasting glue when mixing a batch and also gives me a few days work without needing to muck around prepping things.

Does araldite go out of date?

cos i have some thats about 5 or so years old and that didn't work to good. although it could just be it wasnt even?

darley56
11th February 2006, 11:55 AM
I think you should buy some new glue, you will have a better bond, no point to scanvanged old glue

ss_11000
11th February 2006, 02:25 PM
yep i rekon u is right

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th February 2006, 11:14 PM
He's dead right. :)

"Shouldn't your Pen be as unique as you are ?"

What, rude, crude and rough around the edges? I don't thinks so, Darley. :D I've heard the potato idea a few times now, but when it comes time to glue up pens I just never remember it. 'Sides it's more fun putting another thread on this BBS to the mythbusters test and lobbing 'em thru the tablesaw.

Errrmmm... potatoes that is, not my pens. Although it'd probably improve my pens' overall appearance. :p

ss_11000
11th February 2006, 11:35 PM
'Sides it's more fun putting another thread on this BBS to the mythbusters test and lobbing 'em thru the tablesaw.

Errrmmm... potatoes that is, not my pens. Although it'd probably improve my pens' overall appearance. :p

try it