PDA

View Full Version : Humidity and glue

Rosethorn
12th February 2006, 12:46 PM
Living in the northern rivers area gives rise to some glueing problems ( and brisbane is probably the same). The heat and humidity makes PVA go off too quickly! Boy do I have to work quickly :mad: So, is there anyone out there who can suggest a glue that will give a longer clamp up times without going to messy epoxies etc? Also is Gorilla Glue available in Australia and if so where from?
Cheers and thanks in advance,
rosethorn

Greg Q
12th February 2006, 12:51 PM
Hi Rosethorn...

I have used Titebond lll recently, and it seems to have good open times, better than other PVA's.

You might want to try hide glue-although it is more bother than bottled glue.Add some urea to retard the setting.

Finally, urethane glues are sold here, but not "Gorilla Brand", which is the same as other polyurethane adhesives, just more costly. Beware of shelf life-1 year maximum. Beware of retailers who still sell expired glue:mad:

Greg

Rosethorn
13th February 2006, 07:29 AM
thanks Greg, hmm hide glue - sticky and revolting but it is all Geoff Hannah uses, maybe I'll have to try it again - ugh the smell though,
cheers rosethorn

AlexS
13th February 2006, 07:37 AM
Carbatec sell liquid hide glue - don't know how good it is.

fletty
14th February 2006, 10:22 PM
I agree with Greg, I used Titebond III for a big lamination glue up on a hot (42deg > 80% humidity) sticky day and it gave about 8 minutes working time which was enough to get the laminations together in groups of 4. Other Titebonds and even my much loved 202GF glues were unworkable after only a few minutes. Fletty

soundman
14th February 2006, 11:28 PM
consider using a diferent PVA formulation.
most of the upmarket PVA glues go off faster by far than the standard vanilla variety.
try standard adquadhere or similar.
cheers