PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip in restaurants?

craigb
21st February 2006, 02:49 PM
I nearly always do, unless the service is absolutely atrocious.

I suspect that the majority of Aussies do the same (note to American members, tipping is pretty rare in Oz and not a matter of course).

This is the about only service I tip for though (sometimes I'll tip a cabbie).

So why do we tip in restaurants. :confused:

Zed
21st February 2006, 03:14 PM
i rarely tip anyone, the way I see it is they are employed and get a wage, as do I. I dont expect my boss to tip me if I do a good job, why should I give them extra for doing thiers ? however I will compliment them if they do a good job or the food is fabbo. if the food/service is shyte I dont go back - I dont complain as I dont want to eat thier spit.

Sturdee
21st February 2006, 03:20 PM
As I used to work for a very large restaurant I know that restaurant staff are paid proper rates, unlike in the USA where tipping supplement their wages to bring it to a normal level, as well as penalty rates for working on Saturday and Sunday. Then there are the penalties for working early and late, split shifts and meal allowances.

All these costs are paid for by the customer in the cost of dining so why pay extra as well.

Hence I don't tip and for those who do, do you give a tip to the cashier in the supermarket, add it to the gas bill and electricity bill, and the service station attendant when you get petrol, the bank teller when you can actually get into a branch or the station attendant at the railways ?

If not, why not. They perform the same service as restaurant staff in looking after you for which they are paid by their employer.

Peter.

Greg Q
21st February 2006, 03:30 PM
I sometimes wish that tipping was more common so that my failure to tip would have more weight. Recently I attended a local restaurant that has displeased me in the past. The food and service this time was way above average, so I tipped (after telling the new manager 'good job').

Here's a question for you: Produce costs about the same in North America, often is cheaper. Retail rents are about the same, as are the other costs of doing business. So how come their staff get paid shyte, yet their menu items are more expensive? Who's the mug in this game?

Greg

silentC
21st February 2006, 03:58 PM
Yes - Usually - If the waitress is good looking ;)

Greg Q
21st February 2006, 04:01 PM
Yes - Usually - If the waitress is good looking ;)

well, yeah.;) :D

Grunt
21st February 2006, 04:20 PM
I tip exceptional service only. I've spent a lot of time in the U.S. and service there is no better and probably worse than it is here. I hope tipping does not become the norm here.

Robert WA
21st February 2006, 04:50 PM
My wife has family in the US and we have spent some time there, and in Canada, visiting and touring around.

The wage structure here renders tipping voluntary, a reward for better than average service.

In North America tipping is, effectively, mandatory, 10% - 15%. To reward good service you need to tip higher than that. Too much, in my opinion.

We were given a hint by some friends. US peeople love out dollar coin, with the kangaroo on it. Slip one into the tip and you can get way with being a cheapskate.

Driver
21st February 2006, 05:01 PM
I never tip in restaurants in Australia. My rationale is the same as Peter's (Sturdee). Wage rates in Oz are pretty reasonable compared to most other places. In the US, where pay rates for service staff are cr@p, it is important to tip or the poor buggers can't make a living.

But it's an interesting subject, isn't it? I noticed when living in Sydney six years ago that tipping in restaurants was far more common there than here in Perth and I notice that a couple of our New South Welshmen figure amongst the tippers in this poll. (Notable exception being the primate - no obvious surprise there :D )

I tip the young people who cut my hair. They're apprentices and their pay rates are lousy. (Also, due to the state of my aging scone, they deserve extra as a search fee :rolleyes: )

Col

craigb
21st February 2006, 05:22 PM
But it's an interesting subject, isn't it? I noticed when living in Sydney six years ago that tipping in restaurants was far more common there than here in Perth and I notice that a couple of our New South Welshmen figure amongst the tippers in this poll. (Notable exception being the primate - no obvious surprise there :D )

Maybe it is a regional thing Col. There is no logic to it. If we don't tip for anything else, why should we tip for food?

I'd have to say that the vast majority of people that I've been to restaurants with over the years will leave a tip. Even if it's only the couple of dollars change on the bill.

I really think it's expected (in Sydney anyway) otherwise you're considered a bit of a tightasre. :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
21st February 2006, 05:32 PM
Is the waitress the chick at the cash register that adds up all the stuff on the tray??

P
:D

Waldo
21st February 2006, 05:57 PM
G'day,

Stufff tipping!

I don't have clients pay me an extra bit when I put in my invoices. I'm paid my rate and so too is any one else in any industry.

It's another ridiculous Amercianism creeping into society and it peeves me. :mad:

My tip would be a thanks for meal as I always do, it's curteous and polite. If any waiter or other held out his/her hand for a tip I'd shake it, nothing else.

ozwinner
21st February 2006, 06:14 PM
What about at McD's they are a restaurant.
Do you tip there.

Al :confused:

Clinton1
21st February 2006, 06:17 PM
I don't tip.
Tipping is for those countries where they don't respect people enough to pay a minimum wage that is above the cost of living.

Not that I eat out too much, so its not a real issue.

craigb
21st February 2006, 06:27 PM
What about at McD's they are a restaurant.
Do you tip there.

Al :confused:

I never go to The Scottish "Restaurant" :p

Waldo
21st February 2006, 06:29 PM
I don't tip.
Tipping is for those countries where they don't respect people enough to pay a minimum wage that is above the cost of living.

G'day Clinton1,

Totally agree.

Driver
21st February 2006, 08:08 PM
Maybe it is a regional thing Col. There is no logic to it. If we don't tip for anything else, why should we tip for food?

I'd have to say that the vast majority of people that I've been to restaurants with over the years will leave a tip. Even if it's only the couple of dollars change on the bill.

I really think it's expected (in Sydney anyway) otherwise you're considered a bit of a tightasre. :rolleyes:

I think it's true of Sydney, Craig. (And, on the principle of when in Rome ... I have tipped waiters at restaurants when I've eaten out in Sydney).

I'm not so sure about other cities in Oz. I've spent quite a bit of time in Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and Darwin and I've eaten out at restaurants in all those places. Can't say I've been aware of tipping as an issue anywhere other than Sydney.

Col

Kev Y.
21st February 2006, 08:46 PM
It has to be exceptional sevice before I leave a tip, as a matter of fact, the last tip I left was at a wonderful little place in Apollo Bay, not only was the food good, the service was great, and the staff made us feel like old friends and not customers. ( guess who can not remember the damned name of the joint:mad: :mad: :o )

NB: just found it.. its called La Bimba, :rolleyes:

Max Ripper
21st February 2006, 09:02 PM
I always leave a decent tip %10-15 , unless the service is off or they have let zed inside while i'm eating lol.

Max Ripper I'm hungry now

oges
21st February 2006, 09:43 PM
Not usually, not that i've been to a proper restaurant in a while.

But as servo's, corner stores etc i'll put me shrapnel in the charity jars if they have any on the counter ... yeah i know thats not tipping

doublejay
21st February 2006, 09:56 PM
I usually tip if the service has been good.

The major exception to this is for restaurants who put a public holiday surcharge on the bill. I treat the surcharge as the tip and leave it as that.

I'm not sure why I treat restaurant staff differently to other service providers, maybe it's because they are doing a pretty menial task and in a lot of cases they can be seen to be working their butts off. Having had kids who all worked in hospitality at different times, I figure that while the rates are award based etc., it's still crap money.

normell
21st February 2006, 09:58 PM
At my favorite in Melbourne (carlton Noodle Shop) in Rathdowne St, I always leave Mai & Mr C a small tip, but have too laugh:D :D at PPL that wait for the 20c change from $15 for a $14.80 meal:confused:

Normell

Driver
21st February 2006, 10:15 PM
The major exception to this is for restaurants who put a public holiday surcharge

Now that does give me the schidts.

Last time I saw this was in a cafe-cum-snack bar in Margaret River. The place exists on tourism: surfers, wine buffs, honeymooners, eco-tourists, the whole deck of cards. So what the hell is the deal with a public holiday surcharge?

Isn't that when the majority of tourists come to town? Ergo, isn't that when businesses have their biggest revenue days? So what is the rationale behind charging people a surcharge on those days? The cafes and shops aren't doing the tourists a favour by being open on public holidays - although that seems to be the mind-set.

(Just in case anyone suggests, as a defence of this schidt-head practice, the fact that the business owners have to pay penalty rates to staff on public holidays, consider this: those business owners are going to generate as much as 10 times their normal daily revenue on a public holiday. They're not paying staff at a rate of normal pay x 10 - and, even if they were - the additional revenue would still put them ahead of the game).

Public holiday surcharges are a blatant rip-off. I won't buy from any establishment that uses such an obvious scam.

At the Margaret River cafe-cum-snack bar referred to above, I was only informed of the public holiday surcharge (of 15%! :eek: ) when I was given my change and queried why it was less than what I had calculated from the prices showing on the price board behind the counter. I told the owner that I wasn't prepared to pay the surcharge, gave him back the drinks I had been trying to purchase and asked for my money back. After a brief (and quite loud) argument, I got my money back. I have assiduously avoided the establishment on every subsequent trip to the region.

It's a bloody rip-off!

Shedhand
21st February 2006, 10:25 PM
i rarely tip anyone, the way I see it is they are employed and get a wage, as do I. I dont expect my boss to tip me if I do a good job, why should I give them extra for doing thiers ? however I will compliment them if they do a good job or the food is fabbo. if the food/service is shyte I dont go back - I dont complain as I dont want to eat their spit.Trouble is Zed, whether food/ service is excellent the wages are still crap in the industry. As are the conditions. I am an ex union organiser for that industry (pubs, clubs, resaurants, motels, takeaways etc). Workers in that industry are at the bottom of the employment pile. Tips for this group of workers often means eating or not.
Cheers

Waldo
21st February 2006, 10:47 PM
G'day,

To expect a tip or demand a tip to me is a whole pile of crud.

I'll happily give money to the Firies, the CFA, Lifesavers, heck I even give money reguarly to a childrens home in India, but tipping you can go whistle dixie. I've even give a fiver to the handicapped bloke I saw once at our local shopping centre selling turned pens and I didn't buy one of him.

If you don't like the money you're paid then go elsewhere for a job or change jobs. If I get good service from services rendered then you'll see me back again.

You pay good money for a meal, sometimes way too much, to expect a tip - well rasberries to you.

Waldo
21st February 2006, 10:54 PM
Workers in that industry are at the bottom of the employment pile. Tips for this group of workers often means eating or not.
Cheers

For those that offer tips - does that extend to tipping a apprentice tradie you might get to do sparkie work or other a tip? I'd guess not, because you know one day they'll get their worth back. But their wages are crud right? So why is going to a restaurant any different.
:confused:

boban
22nd February 2006, 12:54 AM
I worked as a barman when I turned 18 for about a year and I thought it was great money especially on public holidays etc. I was tipped by a vast minority of patrons and it was not uncommon that I would take home an extra 20 or 30 dollars for the night. It made me feel good so I figure that I can do the same for others in similar positions.

I dont base it on any percentage nor do I feel obliged to do it, I just like doing it. If I dont like what I've experienced, then I wont tip.

I dont dissagree with the other approaches and they are sensible approaches. I guess my reasoning is based on the premise (right or wrong) that most people who do this type of work are not the wealthiest in the community.

I almost always tip cabbies for that very reason. Recently I was paid in kind when the only person to stop on Macquarie St Sydney to help jump start my car was a cabbie. I gave him 10 dollars which he didnt want and then started thanking me as if I did him the favour.

Its only money fellas....

But if I felt like I had to do it then that would be a different story

DanP
22nd February 2006, 01:43 AM
I tip good service and good food. If either is missing I don't tip.

Being where I am means no decent restaurants. Consequently, when I do the trip into town, we eat at the best restaurants. The service is always excellent and the food better, therefore I pretty much always tip.

FWIW The best I've found in Melbourne (asian food) are: Flower Drum, Red Emperor, Man Mo, Silks (be prepared to pay top $). There are others but I couldn't be bothered.

Dan

CameronPotter
22nd February 2006, 09:09 AM
I find that tipping is very rare and generally only practiced by people who are trying to look "sophisticated". Now this may be a Tassie thing (although Shedhand seems to think that people do tip).

About the only time that I tip is if the food and service has been absolutely extraordinary and usually those kind of places are the ones that DON'T expect a tip...

The other time that I might tip is when a large group of people go out to dinner and everyone just rounds up the amount of money they owe and puts it in. That way we won't be under and in a way it is more about making sure that your friends are fine than tipping the staff.

Finally, what about pizza deliverers? My brother did that for a few years and the tips were the only thing that made the job pay reasonably.

DanP
22nd February 2006, 09:28 AM
I find that tipping is very rare and generally only practiced by people who are trying to look "sophisticated".

That must be it...:rolleyes:

Wongo
22nd February 2006, 09:40 AM
Restaurant staff should be paid more by the restaurant in the first place.

Iain
22nd February 2006, 09:45 AM
FWIW The best I've found in Melbourne (asian food) are: Flower Drum, Red Emperor, Man Mo, Silks (be prepared to pay top $).
Dan
For Yum Cha try Westlake, in the same vicinity, upstairs is nice too.

craigb
22nd February 2006, 09:46 AM
Hey Scott, maybe the reason you never get your "free" fruit is because they know you're not a tipper. :p :D

Andy Mac
22nd February 2006, 09:46 AM
Just trying to remember the last time I could afford to go to a restaurant...if I do manage to get there, I certainly don't fork out for tips as well:(.

Wood Butcher
22nd February 2006, 10:24 AM
I don't go running after the 20 - 50c change at a good restaraunt but I wouldn't go out of my way to give heaps more. To go out for a really nice meal here you would be looking at about $60-$80 for the entree, meal and a couple of drinks. After paying that you are almost broke so I can't give much more. (Only been out with SWMBO once in 12 months now :()
There was a small restaraunt/coffee house in my old town that had a tip jar next to the register where all tips where donated to the local charities. Apparently was the staff's decision not the management. I never minded throwing my change and a bit in there!

Auld Bassoon
22nd February 2006, 08:43 PM
For Yum Cha try Westlake, in the same vicinity, upstairs is nice too.

The Flower Drum is brilliant - if a tad exy:eek: - but worth it :)

Woody1
28th February 2006, 03:34 PM
Na I believe I am already paying for a service so why should I pay twice.:rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st March 2006, 01:48 AM
In an expensive restaurant I expect good service. The last I remember it cost me nigh on $50- for a piece of fish that was no better than I could've bought for far less at the local takeaway. Tip 'em? For what? I practically bought the damned chair I sat in...

In a "less posh" restaurant, if I get good value I'll leave the coins... but not the notes. (So I've short arms and deep pockets; that doesn't mean I want 'em full of shrapnel. :rolleyes: )

Jon
1st March 2006, 01:30 PM
I normally round up to the next $5 on eftpos or leave the shrapnel if paid by cash. But if they have cheesed me off they get nuffink.