PDA

View Full Version : Can you help some disabled Kids?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ian007
23rd February 2006, 11:33 PM
My wife and I have a son who has Down Syndrome.
He goes to a special school here in Adelaide.
His school teacher has asked me to help with some fund raising so we can get some stuff for the gym.

they currently have three parts of nothing.

So they need to raise some funds.

My Idea is

would any of my fellow Forum members be willing to make a few pens to donate to the kids so that they could be sold to raise funds to buy some gym gear for these very special needs Kids?

I will make some pens but if I made 30 pens and we got $20 each for them as a fund raiser that would only buy one exersise bike:(, and we need a bit more than on bike:o

So there you have it would any of you kind folk like to help out some disabled Kids?

Thanks Ian:)

Ashore
24th February 2006, 12:03 AM
Ian clear your personal message pages, you are full

Rgds

woodbe
24th February 2006, 12:17 AM
Hi Ian,

Put up a list of what they are looking for, some people might have some unused gear to donate.

Oh, and I don't make pens, but there must be something I can do to help :)

Michael

Ian007
24th February 2006, 06:41 AM
Ashore PMs mtd:o

CameronPotter
27th February 2006, 09:19 AM
What is the timing for this?

Cam

Ian007
27th February 2006, 05:49 PM
I was thinking if we could get the pens made over the next 4-5 weeks then I can take then into the school as a whole lot to organise the selling of them.:rolleyes:

well here's hoping anyways

Cheers Ian:)

ozwinner
27th February 2006, 06:21 PM
Ive got a sheet load of Huon, Myrtle, Sass, Blackwood, Redgum, Red Ironbark and Yellow box that I could donate to anyone in Melbourne to do these pens.
And only for these pens..................so down boys, down..

Al :)

woodbe
27th February 2006, 09:13 PM
How do you make a pen?

Is that a lathe/turning thing? All I have is a drill press and a sander...

woodbe

Ian007
27th February 2006, 11:02 PM
Woodbe

I have a couple of lathes one of which is currently on loan to Studley, he only borrowed it yesterday

If you want a loan in a few weeks of that one when it comes back then just let me know, I'll even give you a few lessons:D

Then you could make a few pens as well:D

Cheers Ian

Ian007
27th February 2006, 11:05 PM
Ive got a sheet load of Huon, Myrtle, Sass, Blackwood, Redgum, Red Ironbark and Yellow box that I could donate to anyone in Melbourne to do these pens.
And only for these pens..................so down boys, down..

Your a good man Al.

now all I need is some blokes in Melbourne to put there hand up to make a few.
:) :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th February 2006, 11:13 PM
I'll happily turn some (using Ozwinner's wood :D ) and I'm sure I can twist the apprentices arm to convince him to help. His pens may not be flash, but they're acceptable.

Perhaps it'll be possible to approach a supplier (Jim Carroll?) about a discount on a bulk-order of penkits specifically for this project?

What sort of quantities are we looking at here? :confused:

Ian007
27th February 2006, 11:31 PM
I'll happily turn some (using Ozwinner's wood :D ) and I'm sure I can twist the apprentices arm to convince him to help. His pens may not be flash, but they're acceptable.

Perhaps it'll be possible to approach a supplier (Jim Carroll?) about a discount on a bulk-order of penkits specifically for this project?

What sort of quantities are we looking at here? :confused:

I currently dont know how much we need to raise, but they do need a bit of gear and it wont be cheap :o

If we made 100 pens and we got $20 each thats $2000 and we wont get
anywhere near what we need for that:o :o

I will find out as much as I can in the next few days

Captain Chaos
2nd March 2006, 10:33 PM
Hello Ian,
Just found this thread. Count me in. I'll turn a few pens over the next three or four weeks. They will be mainly slimline pens & maybe a couple of pencils.
I've also got a small amount of African And Brazilian Mahogany that I'm prepared to donate to a woodie here in Adelaide or Sth. Aust. to make some pen cases if they are interested. Maybe you could make up matching pen / pencil or fountain pen sets for these cases & sell them, or perhaps auction them at a school fete etc.? ( It's just a thought).
Regards,
Barry.

Babytoolman
3rd March 2006, 12:30 PM
Ian,
I am happy to make a few things if you like. Let me know when you need it by and i will send down a few bowls and pens and a rolling pin or two.

Roger

Ian007
3rd March 2006, 03:11 PM
I have had a few PM's offering some help with this, thankyou to those fellers.

It has become obvious that lots af people are willing to help out but dont make pens.

So with that in mind I am more than happy to accept things like turned bowls, bandsaw boxes, jewelry boxes, Keepsake boxes, Wongo's little music box thingo:D and Im sure there are tons of other things that you could think up, I hope this covers most of the forum regulars.

I have set a date so as to give you a time frame to work to, a bit longer than I was going to do but I think that just gives us all a bit of extra time to make stuff.

That date is Friday 5th May

I will post some pics of the school gym and maybe some of the kids as soon as I get the OK from them;)
At least I know I dont need to get anyones OK to post a picture of one of the kids. So with that in mind this picture is of my lad Gavin who goes to the school we are trying to help out.

ozwinner
3rd March 2006, 04:08 PM
OK, who wants pen blanks?

How big do I have to make them?

I will post them Oz wide paying the postage myself.
You just make the pens and post back to Ian007.

Hands up ladies and gentlemen.

Tankstand
3rd March 2006, 05:33 PM
G'day Al,

Ian gave me 10 sets (Pens kits and Wood) to make for him but I have other kits I'd like to make for the cause.

I'd love a selection to turn into pens for Ian.

Roughly 19 X 19 X 140mm

I've yet to experience Huon Pine! Or any other posh stuff!:D Pretty starved of nice wood over here!;)

Cheers

ozwinner
3rd March 2006, 05:38 PM
Ok dudes...
PM me your address and I will send some blanks.
Please tell me how many you want.( I will send a mixture of timbers so Ian007 doesnt end up with all Huon pens :p )

I will make them to Tankstands dimensions.

Pulpo
3rd March 2006, 06:15 PM
Sorry Ian I cannot make much except a mess.:D

However I would like to buy a pen.

But not just any pen a pen from this forum.

Could you let us know how we could purchase said pen.

Good luck

Pulpo

Ian007
3rd March 2006, 07:37 PM
Sorry Ian I cannot make much except a mess.:D

However I would like to buy a pen.

But not just any pen a pen from this forum.

Could you let us know how we could purchase said pen.

Good luck

Pulpo

That would be great, how about you get the opportunity to purchase the very first pen in this fund raiser:D

But not just any pen a pen made with Al's fine Timber:D and made with the mastercraftsman skills, finely tuned by many years of high quality sawdust manufacturing by the one the only Tankstand:D :D

ozwinner
3rd March 2006, 07:40 PM
Ian, have you thought about Ebay?
It can be a real pain sometimes, but the rewards are worth it, 'specialy if you mention the needy cause.

Owwh put me down for a coupla pens too, Hmmm, what timber do I want? :confused: :D

Chesand
3rd March 2006, 08:30 PM
I have some offcuts of Blackheart Sassafras, Jarrah and Messmate that I have been saving to give to a pen turner one day so I will gladly cut to the appropriate size and post to anyone who is prepared to turn them and post on to Ian
If in the northern or western suburbs of Melb I will deliver them
I will cut them up over the weekend and let you know how many blanks I finish up with.

Sir Stinkalot
3rd March 2006, 08:56 PM
I will make a few pens for the cause ..... One condition ..... they must sell for more than $20 a pop :D

Oh .... and stay away from ebay ..... thats were I am currently trying to flog my pens with little luck this week ..... I keep asking myself ..... what is wrong with these people :D

Al ... I might put up my hand for your generous offer of some Huon, Myrtle, Sass .....

Stinky

ozwinner
3rd March 2006, 09:03 PM
No worrys Stinky.
Send me your address.

Ian007
3rd March 2006, 09:05 PM
I will make a few pens for the cause ..... One condition ..... they must sell for more than $20 a pop :D

Stinky

OK, are you going to make me a couple of super special pens then?:eek:

Sir Stinkalot
3rd March 2006, 09:30 PM
Ian .... I certainly dont want to rain on your parade but have you given any thought to how you are going to sell 100 pens?

The reason that I ask is that the general public seem to have little aprechiation for the art of a fine turned wooden pen. They seem more than happy to fork out $1000 for some mass produced Mont Blonk or what ever but don't dig into their pocket for an individual handcrafted $20 pen.

Perhaps door to door sales may be your best bet .... others may be able to offer other aproaches.
As I said I don't want to be mr negativity (all the time) but I also don't want to see you stuck with 100 pens and still no gym equipment.

Tikki
3rd March 2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Ian

If I can get the creative juices flowing (and my current project finished), I may be able to put together a small intarsia picture by May 5. It'd be worth a lot more than $20 though ... raffle perhaps?

Cheers
Tikki :)

Ian007
3rd March 2006, 09:45 PM
Yep its called a school community and then there is the school my other kids go to, where there's a will there's a way

Plus I always like a challenge, so is that a dare?:p

Ian007
3rd March 2006, 09:46 PM
Hi Judy, your on.

I bid $500 for one of your aussie bird numbers:D

ss_11000
3rd March 2006, 10:14 PM
i would make some pens up but now that the winter sport seasons starting and year nines proving to have to much homework i cant do much woodwork but i'll see what i can do.

Grunt
3rd March 2006, 10:25 PM
Not a turner but I buy one of them pens. Make it a good one and you'll get $50.

Greg Q
3rd March 2006, 11:05 PM
Ditto for me: Sign me up for a purchase of a "special" when they are done.

Greg

Shedhand
3rd March 2006, 11:06 PM
I have had a few PM's offering some help with this, thankyou to those fellers.

It has become obvious that lots af people are willing to help out but dont make pens.

So with that in mind I am more than happy to accept things like turned bowls, bandsaw boxes, jewelry boxes, Keepsake boxes, Wongo's little music box thingo:D and Im sure there are tons of other things that you could think up, I hope this covers most of the forum regulars.

I have set a date so as to give you a time frame to work to, a bit longer than I was going to do but I think that just gives us all a bit of extra time to make stuff.

That date is Friday 5th May

I will post some pics of the school gym and maybe some of the kids as soon as I get the OK from them;)
At least I know I dont need to get anyones OK to post a picture of one of the kids. So with that in mind this picture is of my lad Gavin who goes to the school we are trying to help out.G'day Gavin.
Looks good in the water. So hot in Tassie today and I'm only 2 minutes from the beach. Too busy making a new shed to go swimming though cobber.
Keep cool little man. Hope your school raises a motza. I'll make something to help out. I'll let your Dad know when I think of what I'll make. Unless you can suggest something (I can't make pens though :o ).
Cheers
Mike;)

Tikki
3rd March 2006, 11:14 PM
I'll buy an acrylic if someone donates one like this (same colours)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28916

Cheers

boban
3rd March 2006, 11:24 PM
Not a turner but I buy one of them pens. Make it a good one and you'll get $50.

I'll do the same

Tonyz
3rd March 2006, 11:52 PM
My work schedule goes like 6.30am start 10/11pm arrive home, boy its fun out in the paddocks cleaning grain.:D

Put me down for 2 pens maybe more.

I love kids with Down syndrome...:). .... funny story, several years ago was helping out at Phoenix Ind.in Theberton one day one of the boys was looking up at the Adelaide hills through binoculars, "what are you doing, John" I ask.... " looking through me binoculars Tony, whats it look like?" :cool: ;) great reply Tony

Ashore
4th March 2006, 12:25 AM
There may be a way to help for everyone even those who don't make pens , with a comp but until Neil ok's it on monday its all in the air

So go easy until then and there may be the oportunity to WIN a fine pen crafted By one of the finest makers of pens in Australia

Not to mention a picture of a rather good looking GOAT if available

maglite
4th March 2006, 12:48 AM
I will support a good cause.

If the cost of the pens is $20 ........sign me up for 20.(a mix would be great) if they are available.

Let me know via PM postal details etc

Cheers
Steve

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th March 2006, 01:32 AM
Ian, have you come up with any figures yet? I really just wanna know how many more pen-kits I'll need to scrounge. ;)

How 'bout a few sets of lace-bobbins as well? Nothing fancy, just basic spindle work... but perfectly usable for tatting.

ozwinner
4th March 2006, 10:15 AM
Ill take a few lace bobbins, how big do I cut the timber for them.
Let me know and I will send some with the pen blanks.

Here are the blanks Ive got ready.
I hope they are alright, I dont do pens so I hope they are.

At the back left Huon and Sass.
Front left, Blackwood, Myrtle and Celery Top Pine

woodbe
4th March 2006, 10:24 AM
I'd buy a pen, maybe even a few for presents.

To be really useful, they need a quality ink mechanism, not just some cheapie biro insert. I imagine a decent insert might cost a bit, so if they are available, it might be worth offering an option for a pen that will get used as well as look good.

woodbe

Groggy
4th March 2006, 10:35 AM
I don't have a lathe so I can't help there. However, I am happy to buy a pen - put me on the list of purchasers please.

Tankstand
4th March 2006, 11:09 AM
Rather than just heap vast amount of pens on Ian to sell, I was going to hit on my work colleages and family to buy them.

If we all do that and forward a cheque to Ian in the name of the school it will save Ian a lot of hassle and also hit on a wider customer base!

Any further thoughts on this?

carbatecwa
4th March 2006, 02:14 PM
Ian,
Could you be so kind as to email us your mailing address as we here at Carbatec WA would like to donate some pen kits to your very worthy cause. As one of our staff is the parent of a very disabled child we can fully understand you position. You can contact me via [email protected] or 0893454522

Ian007
4th March 2006, 04:11 PM
Well It does seem that things have taken off with an offer from Jim Carroll and now Carbatecwa to supply some pen kits, there is Al's pen blanks as well as Chesand,Clinton1 and Driver I can do pen blanks as well if needed, thanks Guys

So what I now need is more People willing to put up there hands to do a bit of the pen turning or making things that we could sell.

anybody out there willing to make a few nice bowls, a jewellery box or two, band saw box or two???

Wongo what about your little music box thingy?

For the pens it now looks like the kits and blanks will be supplied, sent to you, you make the pens and then return them to me or sell them via your contacts as per tankstands idea and return the Money via me for the Kids fund.

I currently have offers for the making of

Auld Bassoon--- Making a jewellery box or two
Tankstand --- Turning pens
Ozwinner--- Suppling pen blanks
Skew ChiDAMN!!--- Tuning Pens
Captain Chaos--- Turning pens
Babytoolman---pens, Bowls and a couple of rolling pins.
Chesand---Pen blanks
Sir Stinkalot--- Turning pens
Tikki--- Intarsia (possibly)
Shedhand--- Something???
Cameron Potter--- has been asked to make an Acrylic Mont Blanc for Tikki:D fingers crossed.
Driver--- Some small boxes and pen blanks
Ashore--- helping with some $
Maglite--- buying pens 20 of them :D :D thankyou
Clinton1--- Pen blanks and some $
Pulpo--- Buying the first pen made with Al's wood and turned by Tankstand:D
Grunt--- Buying a nice pen for $50.00 if We make it a good one:D
Gregoryq-- Buying a nice pen for $50;)
Tonto---Will buy a couple of pens.
Boban---Buying a nice pen For $50.
Woodbe---Will buy a pen or two
Groggy---will buy a pen:)

Thankyou to everybody willing to help out in any way that you can

ozwinner
4th March 2006, 05:16 PM
Maybe can turn you a humugous pen on his big lathe??

Al :D

journeyman Mick
4th March 2006, 06:01 PM
Ian,
I'm a bit late coming in on this (Got a sick wife to look after, and just been away for another op. so a bit snowed under) but I'd like to help. I don't turn, (got a lathe in pieces somewhere in a corner, but no time or room to set it up), don't really do anything much nowadays but make particleboard boxes (kitchens) and I don't think that'll do you much good. I'll get into the shed tommorow or Monday and have a good look for stock suitable for pens. Also if people want to post or PM me with what they require for their particular skills/projects (scrolling, box making, Wongo's tongue drum etc etc) I'll see what I have that will fit the bill. Can't guarantee that I'll have what's required but we'll see what's hiding in all the dark corners.

Mick

Ian007
4th March 2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks Mick, Your help will indeed be appreciated

Tankstand
4th March 2006, 07:16 PM
But not just any pen a pen made with Al's fine Timber and made with the mastercraftsman skills, finely tuned by many years of high quality sawdust manufacturing by the one the only Tankstand

Steady up Ian!

I consider myself to still be a "P" plater!:D

Captain Chaos
4th March 2006, 07:27 PM
G,day Ian,
I've started on the first batch of pens for you. ( Six so far - will post a progress picture later this evening. :) ) I will also turn some small lidded boxes for you if you would like some.
Also, I have some African & Brazilian mahogany as mentioned in my last post & was wondering if Tikki Would like to use some in her intarsia project. If so please p.m. me with details, size etc..
Looks like it's a goer Ian!! :D
Regards,
Barry.
http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1135/3790150/7827320/116320345.jpg

Chesand
4th March 2006, 08:05 PM
I have cut up the pen blanks
I have about 10 Black Heart Sassafras
22 Jarrah
18 Messmate
4 unsure species ( like BH Sass)
I might be able to find some more if required (particularly Jarrah)
Now who is prepared to turn a few?

ozwinner
4th March 2006, 09:05 PM
Steady up Ian!

I consider myself to still be a "P" plater!:D

But you have a heart of gold, thats what counts, that goes for the rest of you too.

Tikki
4th March 2006, 11:55 PM
Also, I have some African & Brazilian mahogany as mentioned in my last post & was wondering if Tikki Would like to use some in her intarsia project. If so please p.m. me with details, size etc..

Hi Barry ... have sent you a PM

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th March 2006, 12:00 AM
Ill take a few lace bobbins, how big do I cut the timber for them. Let me know and I will send some with the pen blanks.

Those blanks are looking good. :D Usually I make my lace-bobbins from pen-blanks that have a flaw in one side after cutting. I rip the blank into quarters, about 1/2" square by 5"-ish.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th March 2006, 12:03 AM
Rather than just heap vast amount of pens on Ian to sell, I was going to hit on my work colleages and family to buy them.

If we all do that and forward a queque to Ian in the name of the school it will save Ian a lot of hassle and also hit on a wider customer base!

Any further thoughts on this?

I've a hard enough time selling pens to freinds'n'fambly as it is... they already have one or two each. :rolleyes: I do know a bloke who'll sell my pens (and other pieces) alongside his in a market stall, but he wants a per-piece commission. So the short of it is I don't normally sell my pens. [shrug]

KevM
5th March 2006, 09:34 AM
Ian,
If you need any more Huon Pine for pen blanks or lace bobbins, let me know the dimensions/quantities and I will cut them up from my stock of edgings. I would love to help more but my spare time is extremely restricted at the moment.

Kev M

Wongo
5th March 2006, 02:59 PM
Hi Ian,

I can’t turn but I would like to help. I will pm you my cunning plan later.

Wongo (the ex-bank robber:D )

ThePope
5th March 2006, 04:08 PM
I've not done any turning since high school, a lifetime ago now, so I can't help in that respect (probably cut something important off if I attempted it now)

But I'd love to buy something that's being donated, be it pens or boxes, bowls ect. Going by the quality of work people around here are producing, maybe selecting a few of the best and having an auction here on the forum may raise some extra dollars. I just love a good bidding war and at times can get quite carried away, perhaps others suffer the same affliction.

Anyway, put me down to buy something when the time comes.

Cheers
Wayne

Clinton1
5th March 2006, 04:45 PM
My offer of assistance is to be on the consumer end. :D
2 pens for now, and let me know if there are leftovers, as I too may have a cunning plan.

Simomatra
5th March 2006, 05:44 PM
Hi

Well late into this forum discussion but count me in for a pen as I don't turn as in the wood type and still catching up from my long time away from home.

Great idea Ian all the best in the endeavours

Cheers sam

ozwinner
5th March 2006, 06:15 PM
Blanks will be sent out tomorrow to Stinky, Skew and Tankstand.
I have put about 15-20 in each pack except for Tankstand.
I figure he lives further away and needs more lovin.( plus it will save postage if he had of wanted more :p )

If anyone needs more, just let me know as I have heaps left.

Al :cool:

Wood Butcher
5th March 2006, 09:32 PM
I'm not in a position to donate any woodwork at the moment but I will buy a pen or something depending what is offered.

If anyone around SE QLD wants to make something PM me as I have some jarrah, Fijian Mahogany and some Brazilian Cedar that I will donate for this cause!

Also Congrats to Carbatec WA for the offer of the pen kits!! Any other businesses going to get in behind this?

elphingirl
5th March 2006, 10:07 PM
I've not done any turning since high school, a lifetime ago now, so I can't help in that respect (probably cut something important off if I attempted it now)

But I'd love to buy something that's being donated, be it pens or boxes, bowls ect. Going by the quality of work people around here are producing, maybe selecting a few of the best and having an auction here on the forum may raise some extra dollars. I just love a good bidding war and at times can get quite carried away, perhaps others suffer the same affliction.

Anyway, put me down to buy something when the time comes.

Cheers
Wayne
An auction on the forum sounds like a fantastic idea. Maybe a silent bid system for members only first. If items don't reach a reserve then you could ebay them.

I would definitely be up for purchasing some of the beautiful items I have seen posted here (including a pen).

Good luck,
Justine

Ashore
5th March 2006, 10:12 PM
For another way to donate

See the post "Ian007's Fundraiser" in announcements.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29119

Ian007
6th March 2006, 05:58 PM
I just would like to thank Jim & Irene from Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies for there very generous donation for the fund raiser of 100 pen kits:D

I have also purchased a few pen kits and some extra bits and pieces from them for the fund raiser and it looks like they have some nice pen kits that I have not seen before.

well worth a look at there site www.cws.au.com

Chesand
6th March 2006, 07:58 PM
Where are all the pen turners
I know my timber is not as exciting as Al's but no one seems to want any of the blanks I have here.
Now that Jim Carroll has donated the kits they need to be used

Sir Stinkalot
6th March 2006, 08:35 PM
I know my timber is not as exciting as Al's but no one seems to want any of the blanks I have here.

I find it hard to turn down good timber however I have some on the way from Al so I cant be greedy given the cause :)

ozwinner
6th March 2006, 08:36 PM

And used they will be.
Come on you pen turners help out.

Auld Bassoon
6th March 2006, 08:53 PM
Other stuff too, be it boxes, platters, whatever...

outback
7th March 2006, 09:02 AM
If someone can help me with some nice timber, ( I have a little jarrah, but little else) I'd be happy to make a jewelry box. Quality will be the best I can muster, all faults will be a sign of the luvin' gone into it.

Ian007
7th March 2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks Outback.

Ok who has some timber that they can send Him?

What about all you Guys down in tassie you blokes have the biggest selection of timber,
not like us poor lot in SA, yep what do we grow.....crapiata:(

Cheers Ian

RufflyRustic
7th March 2006, 09:40 AM
Hi, I'm late to this post too, but, how about some small photo albums?

I'm happy to make them, but will need help sourcing the inserts, posts and 12mm blanks.

If interested, I'll get more details together.

thanks
Wendy

Tikki
7th March 2006, 09:48 AM
If someone can help me with some nice timber, ( I have a little jarrah, but little else) I'd be happy to make a jewelry box. Quality will be the best I can muster, all faults will be a sign of the luvin' gone into it.

Outback, I have some nice pieces of Blackwood I can send you if that would be suitable ... will go measure what I've got and PM you

Cheers

Chesand
7th March 2006, 01:00 PM
Ian
Your PM box is overflowing hence this post
I will post some blanks to you this afternoon or first thing Wed
Likewise to Cameron in Tassie who has volunteered his services
Regards

Zed
7th March 2006, 01:35 PM
I dont turn but I will buy a pen for $50 as per Grunt & Boban esq's. I would perfer a Huon pine please.

Tikki
7th March 2006, 04:23 PM

Hi outback
Despatching Blackwood and some Euro Beech via Australia Post tomorrow ... look forward to seeing the jewellery box :cool:

Cheers

Wongo
7th March 2006, 04:27 PM
For goodness’ sake Outback. What kind of woodworker are you? Don’t you have enough of stock to build a little box?:p

Wongo (the fun rasier:D )

AlexS
7th March 2006, 04:33 PM
During my recent visit to Qld, Major Panic kindly gave me some Rose Alder & Black Wattle. Can't think of a better use than a couple of boxes for auction.

outback
7th March 2006, 05:07 PM
For goodness’ sake Outback. What kind of woodworker are you? Don’t you have enough of stock to build a little box?:p

Wongo (the fun rasier:D )

I thought that was obvious. A pizz poor one. :D

Thanks to Tikki, I have some nice stuff on its way. When completed it will be called Tikki's treasure. :p

I have a couple of other ideas, dunno if time will permit, but at least one box is promised.

Ian007
7th March 2006, 05:28 PM
I have a couple of other ideas, dunno if time will permit, but at least one box is promised.

Happy to send knobs for jigs in exchange for extras for the fundraiser:D :D :D :D :D

Ian007
7th March 2006, 05:33 PM
I went in to MIK today to get a few bits for the shed, I needed a few more turning tools ( I lent my other ones to Studley so a good excuse to buy some Robert Sorby chisels:D )

So while there I asked them If they would like to help out and am pleased to say that they have come to the party. So a thankyou to them.

Cheers Ian

ss_11000
7th March 2006, 05:36 PM
I went in to MIK today to get a few bits for the shed, I needed a few more turning tools ( I lent my other ones to Studley so a good excuse to buy some Robert Sorby chisels:D )

So while there I asked them If they would like to help out and am pleased to say that they have come to the party. So a thankyou to them.

Cheers Ian

well done to mik,

what did they donate?

Sir Stinkalot
7th March 2006, 07:58 PM
True to is word the first batch of blanks hit the shelves today from Al .....

Al that little note inclosed bought tears to my eyes :D

Thanks again Al ..... I look forward to turning a few good pens for Ian on the weekend.

ozwinner
7th March 2006, 08:00 PM
Al that little note inclosed bought tears to my eyes :D

It was a love note, dont go telling everyone about it.

It must be an old man thing.........................Owwwh crap.. :eek:

Al :o

CameronPotter
7th March 2006, 10:02 PM
Two pens to the party...

By the way, why not post some piccies of the pieces and they can be bid on here (so we get first dibs on the goodies)!

Anyway, the red one is for Tikki (my first commissioned work - kind of) if she is happy with it.

The green one is a homemade resin blank - you won't find anything like it in the world - or at least that is the idea.

Cam

ps Each of the kits are Euro kits (like Mont Blanc pens). I will also do a few slimlines when I get the stuff and time.

Groggy
7th March 2006, 10:07 PM
By the way, why not post some piccies of the pieces and they can be bid on here (so we get first dibs on the goodies)!Great idea. I am trying to sell some at work and being able to show examples should help sales.

ss_11000
7th March 2006, 10:12 PM
good stuff cam..... good idea with the pics http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbupwink.gif

ele__13
7th March 2006, 10:30 PM
love the pens cam .... very nice cheers jules

Tikki
7th March 2006, 10:40 PM
Anyway, the red one is for Tikki (my first commissioned work - kind of) if she is happy with it.

HAPPY? HAPPY?? Cam, it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL :D :D :D

Cheers

Exador
7th March 2006, 10:40 PM
As I've mentioned before, my fine woodworking is not up to scratch, but I do have some nice timber, so if any Brizzites want to contribute their time and skills, I'll happily contribute the timber. If anyone has any ideas, please send me a PM. I reckon that pens might be in something of a glut around Ian in a month or so, so perhaps something worth auctioning...?

CameronPotter
8th March 2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks Tikki.

So, if you want to PM me your address I can send it over - I'll leave the whole funding thing to be sorted out between you and Ian007.

Cam

journeyman Mick
8th March 2006, 02:54 PM
I've got some blanks here for anyone wishing to turn for Ian's worthy cause, please PM me with your details and I'll post them out. There's some Kwila, nice reddish colour, but not much grain. Brown Salwood, some of which has some fiddleback. Only found enough for two silky oak blanks. Some unidentified rainforest timber that's spalted, looks pretty interesting but some of it's a bit soft. There's also five bits of Kwila 25x25 x about 200. Don't know if they're any good for those spindle things that Skewchidam makes?

Mick

John Saxton
8th March 2006, 04:04 PM
Happy to send knobs for jigs in exchange for extras for the fundraiser:D :D :D :D :D

IAN,I don't want anything in return such as has been mentioned, however If you PM me with the schools name and your address I'll send you a cheque for a $100.

Cheers:)

Ian007
8th March 2006, 04:18 PM
Bloody oath he is:D

I got home today to find the first Donation that has not come from my pocket in the letterbox:D

There was also a parcel from Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies there:D

Pic one is the first donation and pic two is the pen kits I purchased and pic three is Carrolls Woodcraft's donation. (Thanks Jim & Irene)

ozwinner
8th March 2006, 05:05 PM
I got home today to find the first Donation that has not come from my pocket in the letterbox:D

There was also a parcel from Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies there:D

Pic one is the first donation and pic two is the pen kits I purchased and pic three is Carrolls Woodcraft's donation. (Thanks Jim & Irene)

Nice haul.
When are we setting up the market stall to unload all this stuff.

ozwinner
8th March 2006, 05:12 PM
Ive got one pack left of pen blanks, if anyone wants them let me know.

Soooooo, that meens Ive sent out about 100 blanks, cant wait to see the results.

Ian007
8th March 2006, 05:57 PM
Nice haul.
When are we setting up the market stall to unload all this stuff.

Mate I have to get super busy in the shed first:eek: :eek:
In fact i am going there right now.:D

RufflyRustic
8th March 2006, 06:43 PM
I've finally found some album inserts, and the rest of the posts and hinges shouldn't be a problem. Many thanks to the Gentleman who pm'd me re album blanks.

Considering how heavy they end up, Ian, if OK with you, I'll try to sell some at work and send the rest with the money before 5 May.
cheers
Wendy

(free wood to build stuff with to help a great cause and make some people happy - it's a dream come true:D )

cheers
Wendy

Sir Stinkalot
8th March 2006, 07:07 PM
Top effort by Jim and Irene .....

I start working on Al's blanks tomorrow ...... or perhaps tonight :)

It is starting to look like a fun weekend.

echnidna
8th March 2006, 08:39 PM
I'll donate a dozen hand scrollsawn timber bookmarks. (pic attached).
I'll select a dozen at random so you may get ones that are not in the pic.
I retail these at $5 each but whatever you can get for them is yours.

I'll also donate 1 framed limited edition picture with a frame size about 350mm (14") by 470mm (19"). (these retail at $195 each) but you keep whatever you can get.

I have no idea which particular picture to donate, but if you could select one from my website and I'll get it to you.
www.exclusiveprints.ausmade.com.au

Or we could run a poll of the forum members (in another thread) and ask our members to select the most popular picture.