PDA

View Full Version : Glue for vacuum press bag

Al B
28th February 2006, 03:13 PM
I am in the process of making a bag for a vacuum press.
I need to glue the sides of some vinyl to form a bag. Looked in Bunnies for some vinyl glue and all they had was glue for vinyl floor tiles, I didn’t buy it as wasn’t sure if this was going to work. Can someone tell me which glue (Brand) I should use and where I may be able to purchase it from.

Auld Bassoon
28th February 2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Al B,

From my very limited knowledge on this topic, I believe that the seams should be welded rather than glued.

Be interested to hear how you get on though!

AlexS
28th February 2006, 08:53 PM
Advanced Composites, 21 Waverly Dv. Unanderra 2526
You need:

Sealant Tape GS200Y aka yellow tack

This company has a significant minimum order limit so buy plenty of tape - you won't be able to go back and buy just a few rolls later.

scooter
28th February 2006, 08:58 PM
Al B, I think someone else posted that they had them welded by an upholsterer - any within cooee of you?

Cheers............Sean

Auld Bassoon
28th February 2006, 09:11 PM
Or a tarp. manufacturer?

Al B
1st March 2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, have looked up and found a couple of Tarpaulin places nearby that I will call. See how I go:rolleyes:

AlexS Im not sure if Sealant Tape is the same thing a friend of mine used to use when laying up carbon fibre, but he used to place the tape along the edge of a flat sheet of glass then lay the pre preg carbon fibre flat on the sheet of glass and then the plastic went over it where the tape used to seal the edges,
If I remember correctly he used to throw out the old tape each time.

AlexS
1st March 2006, 06:47 PM
Sounds like the same stuff, but you don't need to throw it out each time. I used .2mm vinyl for the bag, folded it in half and used the tape to seal it. The stuff looks & feels like blutac, but it's yellow & comes as a roll of tape.

Al B
1st March 2006, 08:28 PM
The stuff looks & feels like blutac,
Yeah thats it,
Have you had any problems with the bag leaking.
What are your thoughts on welding the bag together would it be a better option to prevent leakage.