PDA

View Full Version : tool rest

ss_11000
28th February 2006, 08:38 PM
hey guys

since carbatech are closed for today and i cant ring em tommorow, i'll ask you guys.

i've got some camphor and white cedar pieces between 550-800 mm long. and my tool rest is only 300mm ( i've got an mc900). as far as i no, carbatec only sell vicmarc tool rests, would they fit on an mc900 bed?

will i have to do it in stages?

hope this isn't a stupid question:D

Wood Butcher
28th February 2006, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't bother getting another tool rest. It doesn't take any more than a couple of seconds to move the rest. Save your money for other tools!!

ss_11000
28th February 2006, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't bother getting another tool rest. It doesn't take any more than a couple of seconds to move the rest. Save your money for other tools!!

fair enough, cos i can use calipers to get the right thinkness.

What about smaller rests? can you get them anywhere

still if i can get a reasonably priced bigger rest anywhere.....................

Wood Butcher
28th February 2006, 09:05 PM
fair enough, cos i can use calipers to get the right thinkness.

What about smaller rests? can you get them anywhere

still if i can get a reasonably priced bigger rest anywhere.....................
I know that you can buy different length tool rests. Dad has about six differing lengths for his Woodfast lathe. He also has a tool rest about 600mm long that has two posts on it. He had to buy another banjo to use it but it is good for turning long spindle work that is similar diameters along the length.

Try Carbatec, they don't have anything listed on the website but you never know!

Bodgy
28th February 2006, 09:24 PM
SS

I have the same dilemma.

If you have a stick welder and grinder, Bunnies have pry bars that are about the right diameter to fit in the rest housing. Get one (they are cheap as chips) grind the pillar to size and weld on whatever size rest you wish for (from the remains of the pry bars - you get 3)

Lot cheaper than Carbatec and you can post piccies and gloat!!

fxst
28th February 2006, 10:16 PM
check the metalwork class at school they can make 1 for practice :D
if you know someone with a metal lathe and welder see if they can help
Pete
if the only tools you have is a metal lathe and mill every job looks like a steam engine

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st March 2006, 02:32 AM
http://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/woodtool1.html

Check out the modular tool rests... they're good value if you ever move to another lathe with a different post diameter; simply replace the post.

Making your own is also a good learning experience, as well as a cheaper way out of it.

Hickory
1st March 2006, 04:06 AM
The most advisable thing is to move the toolrest, But If you want to make additional, you can do so with a steel rod and some flat stock. Remember that too flimzy of stock will bend with use. Check the diameter of the tool rest you now have. You can buy either round stock or a long bolt of that dia. Then get a piece of stock and weld to the head of the bolt. Simple task but not necessary. If you opt for a longer rest then don't go past 12" as too long will flex and create problems and chatter etc. Longer than that requires an additional toolrest holder (or as you English background folks call it a "Banjo" )

Only additional tool rest I would worry with would be shorter one and a curved one for bowls, etc. But the simple rest will service all your needs, the others are a convience. As was said before, a few seconds and the rest is moved and reset, a convenioence is all a longer one provides. (Except for long tapered legs are much simplier to do with a long rest.)

ss_11000
1st March 2006, 07:28 AM
geez guys, your making feel like i'm lazy:D

i wont bother with the rest, i'll just keep moving it