PDA

View Full Version : PIneapple Potpourri Box

Hickory
1st March 2006, 07:07 AM
SHMBO is in love with Pineapples, somewhat before but definately after we returned from Hawaii a few years ago. She has the house wrapped in Pineapple adornments. To stay on the pleased side of her attitude I provide all that I can muster. Not long ago I collected a kudo with this Potpourri Box I turned it from American Black Walnut with some Hard Maple. The stripe is a laminate of hard maple and the lid is of Maple. It is a hollow form turning and the Pineapple holes are scrolled (prior to turning) in the lid. Finial is Walnut as well. Finish is Wipe-on Polyurethane

Thanks for looking.:)

ss_11000
1st March 2006, 07:31 AM
cool box,

pspineapples rule

Wood Butcher
1st March 2006, 08:15 AM
Nice Work!
Especially like the contrasting colour of the stripe!
Well Done.

hughie
1st March 2006, 08:58 AM
Hickory,

Sigh...........SHMBO! domestic politics. Some thing near and dear to all out hearts. I too have been guilty of doing same, got some good brownie points [kudos] for the red gum burl bowl.

Great looking box have promised myself to have a go at doing something similar.

hughie............under graduate in Domestic Politics, University of Life, Sydney campus;)

Hickory
1st March 2006, 09:05 AM
That is one lovely piece, Red Gum Burl? You guys have such beautiful wood species. Wish I had some. I see you guys post a lot of red gum, is it a common wood there?

I have my eye on an old locust tree covered with burl, Every storm I drive by to check it out. When it falls I'll off to "Clean up the mess" for the tree. Owner won't part with the snag but sooner or later nature will have its way. And I will Prey upon it.

hughie
1st March 2006, 09:43 AM
That is one lovely piece, Red Gum Burl? You guys have such beautiful wood species. Wish I had some. I see you guys post a lot of red gum, is it a common wood there

Hickory,
Burls are not hard to come by in Sydney where I live. Its all a matter of cost. The one in the pic is 13''x3.5'' and cost around 30AUD which I suppose would be around 25USD and it weighed about 12lb dry. This one was picked up out in the country about 3 hours drive from where I live.
I have seen a few web site in the US selling burls and man they are expensive....ouch! 100-150USD ++ per burl

hughie

dazzler
1st March 2006, 08:47 PM
Thats seriously good:D