PDA

View Full Version : New starter

abungate
22nd March 2002, 10:42 AM
Hi All,

I've just picked up my new lathe, and I have some questions I hope people can help answer. I managed to score a set of chisels (present from someone), and I'm not sure what all the tools are meant for.

There is one which is flat along both sies (rectangular cross section), and comes to a curve at the end, which is beveled, and sharp. Ive found it very useful for cutting curves into the wood (coves? they're inverse beads, but I cant think of the right word).

The other one I'm a little muddled about is similar in shape, except the end comes to a point, like a V. And the two sides form relatively sharp edges. However, when I use it, there's a lot of chipping of the wood I'm cutting.

I assume with both of these tools, I'm supposed to have the bevel on the underside, so I cant see it? (I use the curved one on its side, and roll it into the cove I'm cutting).

Any help or insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Kev Y.
22nd March 2002, 05:27 PM
Just curious.. what brand lathe did you get, and if it is not too nosey, what $$$$$ did you out lay?

Reason.. I am either building a new one myself or buying one.. SWMBO gave me the nod today for either option..

Kev.

Bruce Bell
22nd March 2002, 07:58 PM
Do your self a favour and do a lesson who has experience with turning and is an experienced teacher then you will know what all the tools are used for and whether they are any good as well. Don't be limited by the machine only by your imagination.

Hope this helps.

Sawdust Producer
23rd March 2002, 06:38 AM
Hi Abungate, have a look at this site It should explain a lot of things about woodturning
http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/wtintro/wtintro.html

ubeaut
23rd March 2002, 07:15 AM
G'day Guys

Abungate - The tool with the curv is a round nose scraper. It is not for making coves that is the job of the gouge, the one with the curve the length of the blade. The one with the V shape is another sreaper with a diamond point. Unless the V runs the length of the steel then it's called a V Tool or Veiner and is a carving tool. In that case, throw it away don't try to use it.

As Bruce suggests, go get some classes. You will never do anything more than scratch around at the timber if you don't. From your description you are already trying to use the tools to do jobs they are not meant for. You must learn how the tools cut and how to sharpen them properly. If you don't get a clean shinning surface on the timber straight from the tool, then you need a class. If you do, then you are a genius.

Kev - Don't buy a set, buy individual tools, Prefedrably P & N Australian made in Victoria and probably the best in the world. Only buy tools made with high speed steel (HSS), it will be stamped on them somewhere and if not then they aint. Avoid anything that has a tungsten tip, lead weighted handles or professes to be 3 times heat treated.

HSS will cost about the same for 2 tools as Abungate's entire set, possibly more. But will be much easier to use, will last a thousand times longer, and will only need to be sharpened once for every 20 or more sharpens of ordinary steel.

Buy cutting tools. Gouges (roughing, spindle and bowl),, a skew chisel, and a parting tool. Don't buy scrapers initially, these can be added if needed at a later date, preferably after some classes.

Preferably buy your tools from a woodturning outlet and even more preferable from one that is run by a woodturner. This way you will be given good advice and not just sold tools for the sake of getting them off the shelf. Never buy them from a hardware shop.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

PS Carba-Tec (Richmond, Vic) has a heap of Record Tools on sale at rediculously low prices. Definitely worth a look, don't know if Sydney and the others have them but they also may be worth a look.

Any HSS tool is far better than the best of the ordinary tool steel ones.

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 23 March 2002).]

abungate
24th March 2002, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the site. It looks good, and I'll have a nice long read over that.
A question though: On the section involving cutting a cove; http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/wtintro/coves/coves.html
The tool being used is the same one I use. Is the information here incorrect?

The lathe I bought is a Hafco WL-18, which cost $380. Turns up to 900mm in length and 30mm in diameter. Has a swivel head. Very nice to use.
The toolset I bought is a HSS set, and cost $130.
Both of these were bought from Hare & Forbes in Parramatta, Sydney.

At this point, I'm more getting back into the feel of the lathe. The cuts coming off the skew chisel are coming out smooth, with no need for sanding (so at least I'm getting somewhere).

Lessons are something which is on my agenda. The only place in Sydney that I'm aware of is from Trend Timber, and the lessons arent cheap if I remember rightly.
So, a little further down the track, it will be a further investment.

But thanks everyone for their information.

Jeff
26th March 2002, 02:16 PM
And I'll throw in my obligatory comment to all beginners....spend money first of all on safety equipment or the rest will be wasted. This means full face shield, and some kind of respiratory protection. No excuses, there is never "too little turning to bother" with this gear. If you are not sure what the tools you have are used for you are increasing the risk of injury even more. Good woodturning is exciting enough without letting yourself be hurt through lack of knowledge. Good luck, enjoy your new endeavor!

------------------
"Always cutting corners...!"

JackoH
27th March 2002, 06:01 PM
All of the above! The most important thing is to GET SOME LESSONS! Try the Sydney Woodturners(join their cub if convenient for you,see Woodwork Club links, this page.) They will probably have members who give lessons, or at least point you in the right direction. Safety both in tool use and personal dust protection is paramount!
If you are like most of us turners your hobby will become an all consuming passion. You will go to the ends of the earth to get that "right" piece of wood.All your relations and friends will get presents of your works of art,ad infinitum. You will carry the scent of Shellawax everywhere tou go.Your shed wall will be covered with tools that you bought in a rush of blood on seeing a demo at the Working With Wood Show, and will probably only ever use once. But, Ah! the fun!!!Good luck.
Regards. John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif