PDA

View Full Version : super glue

Hambone
4th March 2006, 03:00 PM
Hi All,
I overheard in a hardware store a chap saying that Bicarb Soda was a good accelerator for super glue .I spinkled some on a small project that I had just glued and it worked a treat with the glue I was using. Has anyone heard of this before ???

Ron

durwood
4th March 2006, 04:30 PM
Yep it works a treat, used a lot to fill defects quickly especially in plastic.
Put a pile of Bi carb on the dent and pour on super glue goes hard in seconds and can then be sanded or filed down ready for paint.

Sculptured Box
4th March 2006, 05:22 PM
durwood

What type of super glue are you using? Can you explain what you mean by "good accelerator"?

TTIT
5th March 2006, 12:49 AM
Yep it works a treat, used a lot to fill defects quickly especially in plastic.
Put a pile of Bi carb on the dent and pour on super glue goes hard in seconds and can then be sanded or filed down ready for paint.

I'll have to give that a try. I just ruined a $400 set of prescription lenses by turning the lathe back on too soon and landing some fine drops on the lenses - no way of getting it off polycarbonate :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. Something to speed up the hardening might help balance my impatience :o:o:o:o

DavidG
5th March 2006, 10:35 AM
TTIT
Where was your face shield?
Next time it may be the block of wood then you might not need to worry about glasses anymore.:eek:

Old Croc
10th March 2006, 10:02 PM
TTIT, that has happened to me and if I remember correctly I soaked them in Windex for five minutes and the spots came loose.
Regards croc

rsser
11th March 2006, 03:14 PM
I just scratched them off with a fingernail. Prob the crud already on them gave the glue a poor bond ;-}

Good call tho Hambone.

TTIT
12th March 2006, 12:08 AM
TTIT, that has happened to me and if I remember correctly I soaked them in Windex for five minutes and the spots came loose.
Regards croc

Croc, I tried every cleaner in the house and ended up gouging the lenses when I tried to move them with a scraper. Picked the new lenses yesterday and had the old ones put into safety frames for shed-only use in future.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th March 2006, 10:43 PM
Obviously everyone here is familiar with good ol' CA, so I think this is as good a place as any to ask: what do you use for spreading when using it as a finish?

There's naught worse than getting part way through and having things come... stuck (as opposed to unstuck. :eek: ) I've been told to use a piece of styrofoam, apparently superglue won't stick to it at all. Before I try it, I'm not yet convinced, I'm wondering what other people use. Obviously glass is out... :D

JackoH
13th March 2006, 09:13 AM
That soft foamy packing stuff that's wrapped around electronic gear is good. SG doesn't stick to.

Wood Borer
13th March 2006, 09:35 AM
What happened to our superglue resident expert Gatiep? Joe gave us all valuable information about superglue but he hasn't been on the board for months.:confused:

Sir Stinkalot
13th March 2006, 12:23 PM
Obviously everyone here is familiar with good ol' CA, so I think this is as good a place as any to ask: what do you use for spreading when using it as a finish?

When using it on pens I use the plastic bag that the pen parts come in. Seems to work well.