PDA

View Full Version : MC 900 motor problems

Ankali
9th March 2006, 11:32 AM
Hi

I have an MC 900 (CarbaTec Clone), about 3 years old, never done a lot of work (work and time are incompatible 4 letter words!!).

The motor is not spinning properly. I have checked the belt, mounts etc and all seems fine. If I remove the belt and flick the pulley on the motor, it spins up to full speed but put any load on it nad it slows right down.

I would like some advice before I start pulling the motor apart - anything I should be especially careful with?? Start by cleaning/regreasing bearings, any particular grease to use?

Ankali

Gil Jones
9th March 2006, 12:57 PM
Ankali,
I do not know what kind of motor it has, but your problem sounds like a "START/RUN" or a "START" and a "RUN" capacitor is bad (and or the centrifugal switch is bad too). How many "Humps" does the motor have on the case (1 or 2)? The capacitors (which are located under the "Humps", can be checked with a good multi-meter. The capacitors are easy to replace, and the centrifugal switch could just have a broken spring. Too many "ifs". Does not sound like bad bearings, or grease, unless it is making a bunch of noise.
Good Luck!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th March 2006, 07:03 PM
Try starting it, then give it a flick to bring it up to speed. Leave it running for a few minutes before checking to see if it bogs down under load the way you describe. If it runs fine, just replace the starting capacitor.

Otherwise, well... as Gil said, "too many ifs."

Ankali
10th March 2006, 01:21 PM
Try starting it, then give it a flick to bring it up to speed. Leave it running for a few minutes before checking to see if it bogs down under load the way you describe. If it runs fine, just replace the starting capacitor.

Have tried this - doesn't matter how long its been running, any load and it stops (and motor gets very hot!!)

Ankali

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th March 2006, 04:15 PM
Have tried this - doesn't matter how long its been running, any load and it stops (and motor gets very hot!!)

Running hot, it sounds like a winding has gone to me. Not good news, sorry.

It'd probably be worth your while to start sourcing a replacement motor now, even before you strip this one down to see if it's repairable.