PDA

View Full Version : Vega D-36 36" Pro Duplicator - details?

Exalibur
10th March 2006, 04:02 AM
Greetings All,

I did search for Vega information and can't find it. If I just missed it, please direct me.

I am doing a project for a church to make replacement finials (4) that are about 2 feet long and 10 inches in diameter max. Getting the Vega 36” Pro Duplicator looks like it might be a good choice. The problem is that I can find no information specifically what this will do.

Does anyone know the maximum and minimum diameters that it will cut? I have a Jet 1642. Will it cut all the way from 16” down to zero? Are there any other restrictions should I know about? I decided I need to know this before I pay the $550 :)

While I am at it, there is a slender spindle attachment. I that just to steady long spindles, or would it even be needed to turn 6” pieces/pegs for a coat rack?

All help is appreciated!

Cheers,

John

hcbph
10th March 2006, 05:00 AM
John

I have a Jet 1642 and a Vega D-36 duplicator so I can probably answer most of your questions. I have to qualify that a little, I bought my duplicator used so they could have changed things etc, so take it with a grain of salt. First off, mine had mounts for a 12" lathe, so I had to get the mounts for a 16" unit. I've made some 8" columns using the Vega and many of lesser diameter. Thing is, the limiting factor is the depth of cut you're planning. You can go in about 2"-3" plus due to the limits of the unit from the max diameter of your spindle (how far the cutter can travel in and out, so you can from say 8" down to around 2"-4" minimum). The max diameter you turn depends on how far out you mount the unit from the centerline of the lathe and not have the turning hit the mount or duplicator. 24" length is no problem as you can turn less than the max length of the duplicator. I think I've gone down to about 4" length being the shortest I've tried it on. I do like to leave a little extra material on each end and trim it off at the miter saw when done, but that's just me.

One nice thing about the Jet is the reversing option. You can hang the Vega on one side and the toolrest on the other. One direction you can use the duplicator, reverse and use your lathe chisels without having to dismount anything. This does reduce your max turning though, the banjo is higher than the mounts for the vega.

I don't have the slender spindle attachement as I have not turned anything that thin and long yet. Looks like a roller support, so that can come later if needed. I am planning on getting the router mount eventually to do fluting etc with it.

Best thing I've found to make patterns out of is 1/4" Lexan. Machines easy and fits well in the duplicator.

Hope that helps

Paul

Exalibur
10th March 2006, 06:28 AM
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much. This is just the information that I needed. The far side attachment is a great idea.

It looks like the duplicator is a go...I just have to get it past SWMBO now. The box, that is. :D

I am optimistic

Cheers,

John

hcbph
10th March 2006, 12:13 PM
I found a couple of pictures of a project I did that I used the duplicator on. You will note that the back legs are splayed from the centerline of the chairleg. Hope you enjoy them.

Paul

Exalibur
10th March 2006, 11:25 PM
Hi Paul,

Thank you for sharing your work. The duplicator really does the job.

Mine gets delivered Monday...and I just remembered that I'll be gone for the week. Oh, well.

I did remember that I have an old oak plant stand that has some broken spindles. One more job to take care of.

Have a great weekend,

John