PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple/Osage Orange Hollow turning

Hickory
18th March 2006, 08:24 AM
It was suppose to be a Pineapple. SHMBO loves Pineapples and to stay on her good side I make as many Pineapple things as I can think of. Tried a hollow turning of Osage Orange in a Pineapple shape. Not too pleased with the outcome, although the finish and appearance came out fine. I'll try again with a different design.....
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P3170003.jpg
Entire 6" tall Hollow turning is less than 1/4" thick and the top tapers from 1/8" to close to nothing. Wipe on poly finished to a Pumice rub followed by a Rottenstone rub.

Ranier
2nd October 2006, 11:44 AM
Hickory, I'm with you as to the shape. I've made lots of weird shapes myself, not being a naturally gifted artist so I sympathize with you.

The bois d'arc (osage orange*) is beautiful wood and the way you finished it is great.

*Did you know that in early day Texas, where I'm from, bois d'arc trees were often the corner markers for ranches and farms? They were so tough and hardy that they served almost like big boulders as being permanent enough to rely on.

OGYT
2nd October 2006, 01:39 PM
If wifey likes it. It's just right. Finish really looks slick.
I love Bois d'Arc. Almost have to turn it green, 'cause it's too hard when dry. I've broken three bowls lately... rough turned then dried... broke the tenon off two, broke one down the middle, top to bottom.
Gonna have to make my tenons bigger, I guess, and quit gettin' catches.

lubbing5cherubs
2nd October 2006, 02:07 PM
Hickory you know that can still be made look like a pineapple, this is a suggestion why not cut the top into like the top of the pineapple like with jigsaw (or a bandsaw if you have the talent, I don't) to make it look more like a pineapple and then even green dye the wood so you can see definitely what you are trying to do. JUst a thought. feel free to chuck it out the window.
All the best
Toni