PDA

View Full Version : Turning in the rain

dai sensei
19th March 2006, 06:08 PM
These 2 items I turned whilst we had all that rain a week back but forgot to take photos. Couldn't work on the TV unit and was waiting for the glue to dry on other items. As usual I have at least 10 pieces on the go at the same time.

The bowl is Cocobolo - beautiful grain. The shape was to highlight the areas of grain that appeared to have depth. This wood seems to be heat sensitive - whilst cutting it turned purple, then whilst sanding/polishing it turned yellow, bith times returning to brown once cooled.

The plate is Tibouchina Noleen and I filled a hole with clear casting resin. I left a few pieces on the wet concrete to spalt, but I didn't get the veins I was hoping for, just a general mouldy look:( .

Both are around 200mm dia and are finished with Sellewax/EEE/Shellewax Glow from our favourite supplier:p

Cheers

ss_11000
19th March 2006, 06:14 PM
the cocobolo bowl looks awesome, spectactular grain, the plate thingy has good grain to and looks pretty good

well done!!!

ps. whats the big chip thingy on the plate ( in the top right corner of pic )

Wood Butcher
19th March 2006, 06:26 PM
Fantastic Neil.

The grain on the cocobolo is phenomal and I love the idea of using resin on the plate.

Greenie on its way!!

dai sensei
19th March 2006, 08:09 PM
ps. whats the big chip thingy on the plate ( in the top right corner of pic )

That's the clear casting resin.

Thanks Wood Butcher.

ss_11000
19th March 2006, 08:11 PM
That's the clear casting resin.

it looks good, i like that idea

ps.. just reread your 1st post and i must have missed the bit where u sed it:o

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th March 2006, 08:19 PM
The only time I've tried using resin on the edge of a form I ended up wearing a small hailstorm.

It's nice to see it is do-able. :)

dai sensei
19th March 2006, 08:35 PM
The only time I've tried using resin on the edge of a form I ended up wearing a small hailstorm.

It's nice to see it is do-able. :)

If I try and turn the roughly cast resin I end up with the same result:mad: . I now sand the resin to near shape first using my dremmel, then turn it using very fine cuts, this avoids the fracturing problems. The only problem I still have however, is as the plate walls get too thin, they can flex and "pop" the whole piece out:eek: . Then its CA time and hope it stays:D

hughie
21st March 2006, 12:23 AM
Neil,
Great looking bowls, never thought of casting resin...learn somethin' new every day. Nice one!
Cocobolo is a very impressive timber, not much of it around where I am.[ well its around for a price... :eek: ] If its plentiful up your way it looks like i am gonna have to migrate north:D

hughie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st March 2006, 02:51 PM
I've always liked cocobolo, but 'tis one of those woods I don't go out of my way to stock... I was taught "there are two types of woodturners: those who are allergic to cocobolo and those who will be."

Sorta put a damper on my enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

dai sensei
21st March 2006, 07:35 PM
Hughie - not from round here unfortunately to my knowledge. I got mine from Carbatec when they had a special a while back.

Skew - I had no problems, but do use a full face shield over fume mask. My biggest problem has been with PNG Ebony, one small speck of dust under the mask in my eye and I was blind for hours:eek: