PDA

View Full Version : camphor laurel

hughie
21st March 2006, 12:37 AM
I have had the good fortune to run into a 50-60 year old tree that IS coming down. Wont take/get all the timber, but as much as I can handle, some of it is close to 1m dia and well figured.
I have turned it before in small quantities and noticed it has the tendency to split real bad.

What would be the most successful way to season C.L.?:confused:

My previous attempt i used the soap bath method with some success. Rough turned and soaked the bowl for about a month and a half, dried for about 10 days - two weeks. It was moderately successful. Ie it cracked slightly and i turned them away. But I am not overly confident of this method on C.L.

hughie

Hickory
21st March 2006, 04:21 AM
I have been having a good success with Denatured Alcohol soak. Turn the piece to within 10% of the finished Dia. then soak in Denatured alcohol for a few hours (I usually soak over night) let air dry foir a few minutes to surface dry. then wrap in brown paper (Kraft Paper) leaving the open bowl exposed, wrap tight with masking tape. Weigh & rercord the piece and set on a drying rack (Bowl down) Every few days weigh & record and see the difference. When the weight stops dropping then wait a few more days before finish turning. This usuallly takes 2-3 weeks for small turnings.

TTIT
21st March 2006, 09:43 AM
My old man has worked with not much other than Camphor for years. All he has ever done is slab it all up (40-100mm), stack it and cover it in plastic for a few years. Hasn't lost much at all to splitting. I'm now inheriting tonS of it since he's had to give up woodworking. Bugger!;) ;) ;)

hughie
21st March 2006, 11:43 AM
quote=Hickory]I have been having a good success with Denatured Alcohol soak. Turn the piece to within 10% of the finished Dia. then soak in Denatured alcohol for a few hours (I usually soak over night) let air dry foir a few minutes to surface dry. then wrap in brown paper (Kraft Paper) leaving the open bowl exposed, wrap tight with masking tape. Weigh & rercord the piece and set on a drying rack (Bowl down) Every few days weigh & record and see the difference. When the weight stops dropping then wait a few more days before finish turning. This usuallly takes 2-3 weeks for small turnings.
[/QUOTE]

Hickory, This sounds very logical/ obvious, after all we out the same stuff in our fuel tank over here if it got water in it. With the laurel what finish have you been giving it?
hughie

hughie
21st March 2006, 11:47 AM
My old man has worked with not much other than Camphor for years. All he has ever done is slab it all up (40-100mm), stack it and cover it in plastic for a few years. Hasn't lost much at all to splitting. I'm now inheriting tonS of it since he's had to give up woodworking. Bugger!;) ;) ;)

yep it looks like I will have about 4-5 ute loads myself and the main trunk is still standing. Had alook at the stump this morning its about 1.5m dia and 4 or so metres tall, not sure about how I am gonna tackle this bit.:eek: :eek:
hughie

rsser
21st March 2006, 05:51 PM
Hi Hughie,

We get plenty of the stuff down here ... haven't had any problems with instability. Maybe you had a stressed or young piece for your first batch?

That said, locally grown stuff (Melb.) doesn't appear to have the figure of warmer-climate stuff, and is frankly good for practice turning and not much else IMHO. I've had a couple of bits from Mullimbimby Woodworks that had a fine honey colour and some awesome red and green flares through it.

What do your lumps look like?

Wood Butcher
21st March 2006, 05:55 PM
I remember reading about someone that rough turned bowls then buried them in wood shavings to season. Out of memory they had 44gal drums full of shavings and rough pieces.

Anyone else heard of this??

Baz
21st March 2006, 07:06 PM
I rough turn and leave under the house to dry, if I am concerned about splitting I give the bowl a good coating of timber sealer and then allow a couple of months extra drying time. You can also pack the bowl with the shavings into a paper bag or in a pile of shavings.
Cheers
Barry

hughie
22nd March 2006, 12:10 AM
[What do your lumps look like?
[/quote]

Hi Ern,
I spent a couple of hours sorting through and chucking a lot away. But the remaining is well figured with dark brown and black in a few places. By the time I sort through it maybe 2-3 Ute loads of well figured stuff,although the tree lopper has not done me too many favours, some are short slices. SHMBO pointed out that they would be most suitable for vases.
When I some home will post pics.
hughie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd March 2006, 05:18 PM
That said, locally grown stuff (Melb.) doesn't appear to have the figure of warmer-climate stuff, and is frankly good for practice turning and not much else IMHO. I've had a couple of bits from Mullimbimby Woodworks that had a fine honey colour and some awesome red and green flares through it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find occasional green flares through some local (Melb.) stuff... I suspect that part of the cause is trace elements in the soil. It also has quite varied base colour & banding, enough to take it out of the "practice material" category.

But in general I think you're right, the best colouring comes from up north.