PDA

View Full Version : Is $1700 too much for 1996 Vicmarc 175

skot
23rd March 2006, 10:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone thinks that $1700 is too much for buying the 10 year old VL175..it has pulley speeds ..not Electronic

Nuggett
24th March 2006, 01:23 PM
Well for what it's worth - I bought my Lathe about three years ago a VL 175 with V. Speed for just under three Thousand from GPW . Having used both V speed & Non V I would rather pay the extra $$ for it. Being left handed the out board is a must for me also the long bed- the only criticism I have at1HP motor is way to small, need at least 2-2.5 Hp i.m.op. Look around in the trading post also go along to the Wood-turning Clubs in your area -Members maybe selling some.Also it the wood shows on again. Go and have a look and see the difference between them and wait till the last day usually near closing take cash if possible the vender's are more likely to sell at a better price than have to pack it away -Just make sure you've got a trailer. I see wood fast is back and reportedly at a lower price.
Good luck
Nuggett:)

skot
24th March 2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for that Nugget, I think I will hold on for a bit longer and get the V speed.

rsser
24th March 2006, 04:04 PM
Sounds a bit steep to me .... but if it's had little use and is in good nick it's worth keeping in mind. Units like this rarely come onto the market second hand.

As always, it depends on what you plan on doing with it and how often. I have the Vicmarc V speed and don't mind only having 1hp. Only occasionally does it cramp my style.

The only local opposition still in business is Teknatool, so check out their lathe specs.

(Edit: looks like Woodfast is still in the game too: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29811)

DPB
24th March 2006, 05:49 PM
Skot, check out this link and read post #18 in the thread. You will see what can be done if you are patient.:)
http://tinyurl.com/mgeqm

skot
24th March 2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks to all for your input, I went and had a look at the lathe today but I decided not to purchase it and may take a bit more time to look around.