PDA

View Full Version : New Teknatool Lathe on show

ubeaut
20th April 2002, 09:32 AM
For those with an interestand who can get there.

The revolutionary new Teknatool Lathe will be on show this weekend at:
The Victorian Festival of Woodwork
at Manningham Municipal Offices
699 Doncaster Road, Doncaster Victoria.
Sat & Sun 10am - 4pm

The lathe will be demonstrated throughout the whole weekend and interested people are welcome to try it hands on. You will find it in the marque at Carrolls Woodcraft stand.

Oh, by the way there is lots and lots more stuff. Well worth a look. With exhibitions of woodturning, carving, furniture, lots of activities and demonstrations and heaps of other stuff to see and do.

U and Beaut will be there on the Saturday with Jim and The Blond at Carrols Woodcraft.

Come along and join in the fun.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

ubeaut
23rd April 2002, 01:57 AM
Checked out the new Teknatool DVR 3000 lathe and was pretty bloody impressed. It would have to be the smoothest and quietest lathe I have ever seen.

For those not familiar with the lathe it is something very different. The head stock consists of a motor. There are no pulleys just the motor. The drive shaft is the spindle. It is basically computor opperated with variable speed and forward/reverse action. The head can be swiveled and there is an 8 inch swing over the bed. The tail stock has been beefed up and now has a cam lock, conveniently located on the outside end. It has a smooth and positive action.

The cast bed is the same one as used for the previous lathes and is adequate and the cross slide with it's cam action is also unchanged.

Variable speed from 250rpm to 3500rmp basically computer controlled with the motor being able to sense fluctuations in speed due to digin's or heavy turning.

I took a really bug bite with a very heavy cut into a 12" diam bowl the revs dropped from 2000 to 1450 for a split second then powered back up to the full 2000 as I continued to plow on into the cut. It is that clever that it is designed to stall if you have a big digin or if it senses something way out of the ordinary.

Sensors check conditions every quarter turn of the spindle and act instantaniously when there is a problem.

It does have a couple of slightly annoying and potentially dangerous problems that I can see, but I will say nothing of them for the moment until I can find out if they are able to be fixed through programing the motor or overiding the program.

All in all I was extremely impresssed. It ran constantly for the entire weekend with a 50 cent piece standing on its edge on top of the headstock. The only time it wavered and fell was during the roughing out of an unbalanced bowl blank and the problem then was more with the fact that the stand was on uneven ground than with the lathe itself.

One disconcerting thing, is the fact that it is so flaming quiet. You know, you can actually hear yourself think. There is almost no sound to be heard from the motor.

Yep, I was impressed. I will let you know about my concerns in the not too distant future.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Kev Y.
23rd April 2002, 10:13 AM
This new lathe sounds very impressive neil, what kind of $$$$ were they asking for it?

Kev.

Kev Y.
23rd April 2002, 05:50 PM
Doorstop, NO,NO, and DEFINITLY NO!!!!.

I am afraid that the (cheap)BBBL would clash with my eye colour.

Kev

John Saxton
23rd April 2002, 10:20 PM
and Blue

------------------
Johnno

Sawdust Producer
24th April 2002, 08:27 AM
Hey some one post a link so I can veiw it

Jim Carroll
24th April 2002, 09:21 PM
For anyone wanting a closer look it can be seen and used at Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies.It is priced under $3000. For further info call me 03 5251 3874 or try the Teknatool web site www.teknatool.com (http://www.teknatool.com)
Its great to have a new toy. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

roj
25th April 2002, 07:00 PM
And if you don't want to spend the $$$$ on a new one.... I just so happen to have one of the older ones for sale!!! Check out the "Sell and swap" forum.
roj