PDA

View Full Version : Some CNC router projects.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

rodm
14th March 2010, 01:37 PM
Keep them coming Gary. :2tsup:

With the Carlton logo did you use a Vgoove to insert the logo or are they straight cut on the edges? If they are straight cut then what clearance (if any) did you allow for the insert?

GRS
14th March 2010, 02:54 PM
Rod I just used a Vcarve followed by an inside the line run with the straight cutter for the insert and offset the vector outward by .15 mm so as to get a snug fit. There is a small amount of wood in the 90 degree corners to chisel out though. Then the perspex is a straight outline cut out and just slips in, bit of double sided tape and we're done.:wink:

rodm
14th March 2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Gary, handy to konw how others are doing their thing. I didn't notice at first that the aluminum is pocket engraved - nice work.

seafurymike
6th May 2010, 05:40 PM
Not so much a project piece but a tool i made up to fly cut my MDF base flat.
Thought the idea may help others one day

/M

DDX
6th May 2010, 07:10 PM
Hi everybody!
You must take a look on these new amazing woodworking softwares (http://www.ddxgroup.com/en/divisione/1/legno), you can also require free trial versions!

rodm
7th May 2010, 12:06 AM
Hi Mike,
Nice work. I would be a bit concerned about the high speed of a router spindle with an imbalanced fly cutter. I think your tool is better suited to a mill at lower speeds. All the machining I have seen done with fly cutters is done at low speeds - the peripheral speed of a fly cutter is quite high so it might burn the tip at the higher router speeds.

What about one of these (http://www.carbatec.com.au/safe-t-planer_c1370)? It is still at it's upper RPM range for a router spindle but it is better balanced than a traditional fly cutter. Of course the safest and probably the best way is with a 2 flute straight router bit suited to your spindle.

seafurymike
7th May 2010, 06:13 PM
I hear what your saying Rod.

I just bolted a cheap rouetr I have from Aldi on to the Z axis and cut away.
I did however tyry it on the spindle and before I did I made sure the unit was as balanced as possible, with the rod in the middle as much as possible to reduce side loads. The test seemed to go well with a light cut at 6000 rpm.

I would prefer a unit that accepted carbide bits on the sides. I was thinking I could cut a flat on 2 sides and bolt some of the carbide tips I have to these flats. Might try this if I get a chance.

/M

twistedfuse
8th May 2010, 11:34 PM
Mike,

Love the work too, and definately agree with Rod on the issue. Carb-i-tool make great surface planners but they do require 1/2 collet.

bowl trimmer (surface planer) (http://www.apworkshop.com.au/html_routerbits/23-ssb-bt.html) (bowl surface trimmer)
replaceable insert bits, surface planers (http://www.apworkshop.com.au/html_replinsert/risp.html) (Surface planer with inserts)

Alot of their bits are more pricey than other brands or cheap chinese knockoff but they are well worth their money, have seen the 1/2 in surface planers with inserts surfacing a table and also a huge redgun slab. I was sold and have bought one myself but havent yet been able to try it for obvious reason.

Just some other options to make surfacing go quicker.

Daniel
P.S These also have a RPM rating but don't have it on hand.

WillyInBris
9th May 2010, 03:40 PM
Why not just use a 25mm Straight bit that's what I use

straight router bits, carbide tipped, 1/4 inch shank (http://www.apworkshop.com.au/html_routerbits/05-sb-2f1.html)

rodm
9th May 2010, 04:45 PM
G'day WillyInBris,
Yeah that is what I use but I think Mike is trying to reach the edges of the table outside the cutting envelope. A cutter with a larger throw does that.

seafurymike
10th May 2010, 08:30 PM
No, my problem is the HF spindle has ony an ER11 collet (7mm). Trying to cut 700 X 700 with a 7mm bit is just nuts. 25mm bit running at 6000 rpm is too fast for that cutter. Do you still get good results? I can always bolt on the cheap router and surface it that way

You guys always make me spend money. I have seen the bowl cutters and that would be a good way to go. I'll get one next time i'm at CT.

WillyInBris
10th May 2010, 11:56 PM
No, my problem is the HF spindle has ony an ER11 collet (7mm). Trying to cut 700 X 700 with a 7mm bit is just nuts. 25mm bit running at 6000 rpm is too fast for that cutter. Do you still get good results? I can always bolt on the cheap router and surface it that way

You guys always make me spend money. I have seen the bowl cutters and that would be a good way to go. I'll get one next time i'm at CT.

You talking about what Rod and I said I am a bit confused?
Why not just use a T 232 STRAIGHT BIT 1/4 X 25.4mm $29 run it at 24k

What speed is your spindle?

WillyInBris
11th May 2010, 12:09 AM
G'day WillyInBris,
Yeah that is what I use but I think Mike is trying to reach the edges of the table outside the cutting envelope. A cutter with a larger throw does that.

ok got ya another way to do this is to build the table up.

3mm sheet of MDF cut to exact dimensions glue to the table in exact point (corner X,0 Y,0

Then plain the new MDF plate that way when you lay a sheet down it will be flat and you dont have to worry about clearance around the edges on the sheet you lay down.

Worked fine for me :U

Geoff Sims
20th May 2010, 08:41 PM
My nephew is getting married in July and his bide's mother is coming from Peru for the occasion. Thought I'd try and make a small and unique gift for her to take back with her and came up with a set of six drink coasters in Jarrah. I intend to machine a matching box and lid for them as well.

Any recommendations as to what to finish them with, since they will be subject to moisture? Thought of using polyurethane, but don't want a finish that will mask the engraving though.

Cheers
Geoff

rodm
20th May 2010, 09:04 PM
Nice work Geoff :2tsup:

twistedfuse
21st May 2010, 09:28 AM
Lovely Work, love the look of Jarrah in coasters. On the ones i made with MOP inlay i just finished them with Cabots spray cabothane from memory. It was 3 coats and finished with a green scotchbrite pad. Like you say don't know how it would affect the engravings but i couldn't see it loosing too much.

Daniel
P.S What bit did you use?

WillyInBris
21st May 2010, 10:46 PM
Maybe pour something like glass coat over them.

Willy

Geoff Sims
22nd May 2010, 07:59 PM
Rod, Daniel and Willy

Thanks for your comments. I think I'll cut a couple of extra pieces and try a couple of finishes and see what I like best.

Cheers
Geoff

rodm
30th May 2010, 03:19 AM
A couple of well made clocks by my BIL. One is from 38mm solid Nyatah and the other would probably be called a carriage clock and has been made for a perpetual trophy. The CNC adds a bit of class to the finished work as well as making the clock inserts a breeze to do.

Geoff Sims
30th May 2010, 03:30 AM
Very nice Rod. Were they made on one of your older machines?

Geoff

rodm
30th May 2010, 03:55 AM
Hi Geoff,
He does excellent work and being a painter by trade his finishes are first class. The nyatah clock still has to be finished so I have jumped the gun a bit showing it now.

Grandfather, Grandmother and Station clocks are his speciality but he does these smaller jobs as well. I will take a couple of photos of his bigger works next time I visit. Mostly hand made but a small amount of CNC work in those as well.

Yes it is one of the machines I built but it has most of the features that came through the evolution of Obott and others. I was hunting for a photo for Bob tonight and noticed how much the machines changed prior to this build. He scored a console with a monitor from the tutorial I did so it has had an upgrade along the way.

Geoff Sims
30th May 2010, 05:43 PM
They're really nice. I'd love to see some of his others.

I've often thought about making a wooden clock (including the movement), having seen some in other parts of the forum. I wonder if any of our CNC acquaintances have made one on their machine?

If I can get some plans, and the appropriate timbers, I'll have a go one day. Never enough time in the day though. One of these days.

Cheers
Geoff

rodm
31st May 2010, 02:20 AM
Some more clocks from the same maker.
First is a grandfather then a couple of station clocks

Geoff Sims
31st May 2010, 02:42 AM
Lovely work.

twistedfuse
31st May 2010, 09:27 AM
Very inspiring work.

rodm
31st May 2010, 12:06 PM
The centre one is Sheok that he milled from bush logs and the others are Jarrah. I think both timbers work well with the brass movements.

kriscall
1st June 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi All,

Me again . Just to show you some car badges I have done for a friend . Yes it is spelled Ain to reflect thier number plates. Also some reverse carved badges I ahve done, my personal fav is the "oh deere" done by my good self and my silly sense of humour.

Cheers

Gary
Nice Work!

Zoot
1st June 2010, 08:50 PM
I wish I had the time to make clocks!!

Alan

rodm
1st June 2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Alan,
Good to see you are still around. Yeah I wish I had time as well but aren't you retired or semi-retired - actually that explains it. :)

Gary,
Where is your post - did you get shy and take it off?

rodm
11th June 2010, 10:49 AM
Here is the latest clock from Dennis. It is jarrah and all cut out with CNC in 3 sections then glued together.

benupton
11th June 2010, 10:48 PM
Its so small and fine the work CNC can do. Have a look at this model train YouTube - Cnc Train Model Using DIY CNC Router

Geoff Sims
15th June 2010, 07:51 PM
A couple of weeks or so ago, I posted some pictures of some coasters I had made for a nephews wedding, but they hadn't been finished.

I finally got around to putting a finish on them and I'm happy with the result.

Cheers
Geoff

rodm
15th June 2010, 08:29 PM
Hi Geoff,
They look great finished and you got the engraving depth consistent as well. :2tsup:
Your showing your age by making a half dozen. :D

Geoff Sims
15th June 2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks Rod

Now I've got to come up with some sort of box or sometthing to put them in.

rodm
15th June 2010, 10:17 PM
Laminate some CNC cut timber rings???
If you size the outside to a piece of PVC tube or whatever (love that phrase) you can stack them inside it for glue up and less clean up afterwards.

Geoff Sims
1st July 2010, 12:00 AM
One of my young nieces recently got a pet rabbit for her birthday and wanted to put it's name on the rabbit hutch. So I made her a perspex sign. She liked it a lot and also wanted one for her bedroom door.

rodm
1st July 2010, 01:39 AM
Did you mirror image and carve on the back?
Good to spoil the young'ns. :2tsup:

Geoff Sims
7th July 2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Rod

Yes, carved on the back, mirror imaged. I was going to put some paint into the engraving to make it stand out, but it looks good without, so I just left them as they are.

Cheers

GRS
14th July 2010, 11:24 PM
Hi all just a couple of footy plaques again, bloody teams keep changing their logos but I guess it keeps our vectorising skills up.

rodm
15th July 2010, 09:50 PM
What no Dockers plaques. :D
Nice work as always Gary. Len told me you are going laser - only pulling you leg but it is a small world.

I am putting links to Greg's work which will be of interest to anyone wanting tro know what to do with a CNC machine. Hope you don't mind Greg.

Vinyl cutting on a CNC Machine (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f170/cutting-sign-vinyl-cnc-router-90421/)

4th Rotary Axis (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f170/id-like-fourth-axis-66893/)

GWH74
18th July 2010, 12:08 AM
Was inspired by Rod to make a little collet box.
This was the second attempt at it. Need a few design tweaks after the first one.
Besides some hold-downs this is only the second job I have done on my router.

Any thoughts on the best finish for the box? Just cheap pine from Bunnings.

Gareth

rodm
18th July 2010, 12:30 AM
Nice work Gareth :2tsup:
I soaked mine in old engine oil for about a week. Wasn't worried about the finish which isn't too bad anyway but more about stopping the collets from rusting.

GWH74
18th July 2010, 10:35 PM
After a few hours to finish off the wiring for some new Gecko G251 (machine really moves now!) this is my second project. A stand for a RC battery charger. Designed in Solidworks, used CamBam and Mach3. A quick sand while it was still in a panel, snap and trim the holding tabs and jobs done. Thought I might have had to spend hours adjusting the slots but the fit straight off the machine was PERFECT!:D
A couple of small errors. Move one slot 1mm and radius 4 corners and will be very happy.
The flat back panel is for some engraved text, or maybe rebate a perspex window, engraved and edge lit with some LEDs.

Gareth

rodm
18th July 2010, 11:54 PM
Hi Gareth,
Quality work. :2tsup:
The slot and tab construction is popular and CNC works well with this type of design.

GRS
29th July 2010, 12:29 AM
Hey just another request , my BIL wanted me to replicate the sticker on the boot of his mates VL Group A Walkenshaw Commodore. I tried with aluminium but painting the colours so close was a pain so I also did a reverse carve perspex which is a great result, would be ripper on the car for a few years anyhow as I think the sun would see it deteriorate over time.Also including a photo of the sticker I had to work off.

Cheers

Gary

PS : best part is I get to hand deliver in Darwin, going up Saturday for a week will be better than cold ol Perth

rodm
29th July 2010, 01:16 AM
If I had a Walkenshaw it wouldn't go out in the sun unless it had an umbrella. :)

Nicely done as usual and enjoy the trip. :2tsup:

rodm
7th October 2010, 09:02 PM
I make a few fixtures and jigs and this one is a little different. It is a ballnut gauge to measure from the centre of a ballnut to the mounting point on the machine.

Simply fix it to the ballnut with the two tapped holes then square the gauge to the fixing point and mark with a sharp pencil. You can then measure the distance from the centre of the ballnut to the fixing point. Note the centre line of the ballnut has been engraved on the gauge thereby not having to judge where centre is. The camera flash has made the line look wider than it is - 0.25 deep with 60 degree V Bit.

Greolt
9th November 2010, 07:15 PM
Art Fennerty (mach3 author) is developing a new program called Gearotic.

I have been having a play with it. :U

Some helical cut gears.

Greg

rodm
9th November 2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Greg,
I have been following his progress in the forum. I would love to make a couple of his way out designs but can't think of a use for them.

Nice work. :2tsup:

WillyInBris
9th November 2010, 08:10 PM
Hi Greg,
I have been following his progress in the forum. I would love to make a couple of his way out designs but can't think of a use for them.

Nice work. :2tsup:

I think you need to make a clock Rod I really do.

Good work Greg are you still using that gearbox A axis.

Greolt
9th November 2010, 08:43 PM
............... are you still using that gearbox A axis.

Yes, I have made all sorts of things on it.

Greg

rodm
9th November 2010, 08:46 PM
Hi Sean,
You need to see some designs he has done.
I was referring to his way out designs and not standard gear trains - they are puppies in comparison. :)
Link is here (http://gearotic.com/)

Greolt
17th November 2010, 02:23 PM
Something a bit more complex.

I would not know where to start if making these manually.

rodm
17th November 2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Greg,
My mind is going overtime thinking of an application. I reckon a gear train operating a lock to a box would look really cool. The geartrain could sit behind a sheet of clear perspex so you can enjoy seeing the gear movement and the pivots can be stop drilled into the perspex. It would need a conrod to operate the lock and a crank to operate the gears. Sort of like something from National Treasure.

Fantastic work. :2tsup:

WillyInBris
17th November 2010, 05:21 PM
Hi Greg,
My mind is going overtime thinking of an application. I reckon a gear train operating a lock to a box would look really cool. The geartrain could sit behind a sheet of clear perspex so you can enjoy seeing the gear movement and the pivots can be stop drilled into the perspex. It would need a conrod to operate the lock and a crank to operate the gears. Sort of like something from National Treasure.

Fantastic work. :2tsup:

Steampunk jewellery box or Port box now that would be cool you would need to make it out of brass though.

My mind is now going mad with ideas thanks a bloody lot guys!

Greolt
19th November 2010, 09:45 PM
For the kids. :)

rodm
19th November 2010, 09:51 PM
Top stuff. :2tsup:
I am guessing you cut them on 2.5D.

Greolt
19th November 2010, 10:03 PM
I am guessing you cut them on 2.5D.

Yeah nothing fancy here. Just plain old profile cuts.

WillyInBris
20th November 2010, 06:02 AM
You name of the forum should be changed too Gearolt :2tsup:.
Looks like you are trying to turn them into engineers via Subliminal messaging or something.

Very cool for the kids indeed.

GRS
24th November 2010, 04:38 PM
Great stuff there Greolt, love to have a go at some gears.
Here's a couple of signs I made for some farmers I am visiting next week to check out their harvest.

rodm
13th December 2010, 11:52 PM
Here is another project from Dennis. It is a travel checker board game made from pine and inlaid with Sheoak.
Quite a clever drawer arrangement finishes off the design.

seafurymike
14th December 2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Rod,

How do you plug the game into the power socket? Oh must run on batteries!!:doh:

rodm
14th December 2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Mike,
Yeah I suppose most kids today interact with a screen and joystick.and wouldn't have played many board games.

Dennis has been asked to make some of these for his granchildren's primary school. :2tsup:

rodm
11th January 2011, 03:18 AM
Here is something unusual from my workshop. They are handles to fit on the rocker covers of a funny car to make for quicker pulldown and rebuild on the track.

The jig front left was used to position the holes which you can see are close to the edge of the handles. The same jig can be used to pop the holes in the rocker covers.

They are still a bit smeared from the tripoli off the buff but they should make the car go faster polished up. :)

rodm
30th January 2011, 03:08 AM
All too often people refer to my machines as engravers. I hate this as they are much more than that but I must admit a lot of my work involves engraving. I think people like to see their name or favorite saying as a statement.

To show that they are capable of more here is a high precision shape with engraving. These are templates for fitting a 12mm ballscrew to a machine. The engraved grid is 0.5mm depth and used to help line up the ballnut either vertical or horizontal with the adjoining part. That is why there are two of them with bolt patterns at 90 degrees. These will be used on Tubot to allign the ballscrews to the machine.

Ok sorry I have shown this type of thing before - I'll leave this post here as it is slighly different. eeeek. !!!!!!

rusel
28th March 2011, 09:49 AM
Hi
Well mine is not up to the brilliants of the above well done guys but here something I knocked up for the boss on the weekend she just loves them. Now I got the order for some more to do.
Made from offcuts of Blackbut from a university library job...most properly get more reading done here :U

Russell

rodm
28th March 2011, 11:46 AM
Hi Russell,
Nice artistic look to them. :2tsup:

rusel
28th May 2011, 03:15 PM
This is another sign I knocked up out of the same black but off cuts.
The colours are done with epoxy dribled into the engraving. When the blue was done it found the crack in the timber and filled the full length of it. I would say that it is now repaired as well :U

twistedfuse
29th May 2011, 05:44 PM
Great work, the crack actually adds a nice feature to it. It really adds character.

Daniel

rusel
30th May 2011, 08:33 AM
Daniel you have quoted the boss "adds character" you must have great taste like her :D

Barbarian_Child
22nd June 2011, 10:46 PM
My take on Rods collet case.
I will oil it up once its done the show and tell round. Some people have no idea when you mention CNC router.
Had heaps of fun making it, a great learning exercise using VCarve Pro.
Can't wait to get into some more projects.

Cheers
Brian

rodm
23rd June 2011, 01:00 AM
Hi Brian,
Nice improvement - should have thought about engraving the lid myself - black permanent marker just doesn't look the same. :doh:

rodm
13th August 2011, 01:57 PM
I use Aspire to do all my mechanical machining so thought you might like to see how versatile their software is.

I needed a special size spanner so made one with 10mm steel bar. It's 210mm long 28.7mm acroos the flats. It saves me looking for the adjustable now. Might even bore a hole in the handle to hang it up. :rolleyes:

Machined on a CNC converted X3 mill.

Barbarian_Child
13th August 2011, 04:23 PM
"Oh, you canna hand a man a grander spanner"

newflavour
13th August 2011, 10:04 PM
Might even bore a hole in the handle to hang it up. :rolleyes:

or a slot so you don't need a gym membership just to pick it up. :wink:

GRS
13th August 2011, 10:27 PM
Hi Rod,

Nice work as usual :2tsup: , can you let us know what sort of cutter you used and feeds and speeds for working with steel?

rodm
13th August 2011, 10:28 PM
A couple of good ideas but in my defense it was a quick fix for an annoying problem. Some things are not worth the time and effort and that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

rodm
13th August 2011, 10:37 PM
Gidday Gary,
Used an 8mm four flute HSS bit from CTC tools. Cost $4.00 plus shipping and is as sharp as - forgot how much sharper a HSS is compared to the carbide bits i get.
Started at 200 feed and 50 plunge but soon had it hacking around at 480mm feed. DOC was 0.4mm per pass which was a bit ambitious but thought an 8mm bit should handle it and it wasn't going to be a show piece. Spindle speed was flat out which means about 3,000 RPM but could be wrong on that.
Full flood coolant was used - and needed.

chambezio
13th August 2011, 11:52 PM
WOW!!!! the jobs you can do with a CNC Router are amazing. I would have thought doing anything in steel would be out of the question and only a Milling machine could be used.
From what I have gleaned from the posts is that nearly any material can be "attacked" with the right bit and feeds and speeds.
Am I right in saying that?
Also how do you hold down the work? Clamps? Vacuum? (If vacuum how do you generate it?)
Just nosey and would like to know

rodm
14th August 2011, 01:54 AM
The spanner was done on a CNC converted small mill - a Sieg X3. I wouldn't do steel on a router but have done ally up to 20mm thick and engraved brass on the router.

I hold down my work with cross clamps - steel angle from one side of the table to the other, double sided tape, screws into a spoilboard and various other fixtures and jigs. Some on here use a vacuum pump but i haven't got around to making one yet.

The mill I use T slot clamps or a single or double 5 inch machine vice.

Usually the quickest and easiest way is what I do. :)

rodm
2nd October 2011, 05:17 PM
This shows the new direction I have been exploring and having the CNC machines to fabricate it has been a bonus.

It is a solar powered ventilator for a cellar. The fan unit is three 12 volt brushless fans that will be mounted in the cellar and exhaust through an exisiting vent pipe. The lid is to be made yet.

The unit is powered by a 10 watt solar panel and maintains 14 volts in full sun.

The solar panel was $35.00 and the rest hobbled together with gear lying around.

The fan and voltmeter cutouts were CNC'd as was the brackets for the solar panel - does that qualify it for a CNC project??.

wheelinround
2nd October 2011, 05:36 PM
For the kids. :)

Bit like the old Spirograph well done like it lots :2tsup:

Barbarian_Child
2nd October 2011, 07:47 PM
The fan and voltmeter cutouts were CNC'd as was the brackets for the solar panel - does that qualify it for a CNC project??.

G'day Rod, Did you use the CNC to mark out the panel for the cuts and bends?

Cheers
Brian

rodm
2nd October 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi Brian,
No I marked out on the bench. I was going to use a hole saw for the fans and voltmeter but the mounting bolts for the voltmeter were very close to the edge of the hole. Wacked it on the mill and cut 0.2mm on each pass and got a perfect match.

You can't see it in the photo but the bracket for the solar panel is made so it can be pivoted to the optimum angle - whatever that is here. Fun project. :2tsup:

PsychoPig7
6th October 2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Rod - don't mean to impose on your thread but thought I might post a couple of recent projects for general viewing.
I have been playing quite a bit with brass and really l9ike the medium.
Started making "memento mori" plaques for boys I was in the army with.
(In case you are wondering - the battalion's mascot was a pig, hence the "porky"and the boar, and the company emblem was the roadrunner - ditto.

I have also just acquired a grandson - the first one - who is incredibly cute ******** and I have made him a few things such as the train, which is from kapur and about 400mm long x about 40mm thick, and the "Name Letters" which are also about 400mm tall and 50mm thick. After cutting the letters out I then v-carved the cartoon characters into them, filled the characters with mahogony-coloured putty, sanded, then glossed the lot. Turned out well - I think.

What was interesting was cutting the depth of the letters (50mm), and working out feeds and speeds for brass.

I have also been playing with 2.5d models which I build in Bobcad, then transpose into Cut3d to generate reliable toolpaths. I have included a couple of shots of these - the roadrunner and the regiment badge.

Cheers

Noel

rodm
6th October 2011, 06:55 PM
This thread is for everyone to show their projects.

Nice work and congratulations on the grandchild. :2tsup:

I have done some brass but get mixed results plus a few broken tips on V cutters.
Can you let me know how you are cutting it? Dry/coolant, spindle speed, feed and depth of cut.

Ron Dunn
11th October 2011, 12:55 PM
I'm a bit sad to see the US-style fetish for military CNC popping up in Australia :(

It dominates the Vectric forum to the point that I rarely go there any more, now I guess we'll have to put up with it here as well.

Oh well. I suppose I lived through Harley signs and Mayan plaques, I'll probably survive this bout of gung-ho-ism as well.

phomann
11th October 2011, 02:12 PM
Well, my next CNC project is to convert this machine over to Mach3.

Selective Soldering Machine Jig Making Process (http://www.homanndesigns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:selective-soldering-machine-mach3-&catid=35:smt&Itemid=30)

Cheers,

Peter.

marty989
11th October 2011, 02:15 PM
Was reading your post last night Peter. Looks very interesting and look forward to reading about the conversion.

PsychoPig7
12th October 2011, 07:30 AM
SHAME SHAME SHAME

Over the past few years i have contributed to this forum, and in return received nothing but positive support from many of its members, such as Rod, Greg, Steve, Bob, Mike, Chris, Peter, Daniel, and Baz.

Now we get this sort of snide criticism from someone (who probably correctly names himself "Cro-magnon") .

It is a well-worn but true adage that "those who can do - those who can't criticise", and in my professional life as a Clinical Psychologist, I have seen and treated many such people. Unfortunately, the world is full of such people - and usually styems from envy.

As for the "fetish" of "militaristic CNC", first I suggest that before using technical terms like "fetish", Mr Dunn goes to the trouble of actually looking up the definition, and understanding what the word means - and that second, he might actually gain from acquiring some insight into those who have put their lives on the line in support of this great country, and its people - such as himself - and who have sometimes paid the ultimate price for such sacrifice.

It appears that theer will always be those who blithely assume that they need to do nothing to support their own country and their own freedom, and who are more than willing to have others die, or become permanently crippled in their name, but who are unwilling to support those efforts in any way - even in such a small way as simply refraining from snide derogatory comments.

Unfortunately, it seems that there are still some people about who still have some of the attitudes and contempt for those who put their lives on the line for them, whether it is in Vietnam, Timor, or now Afghanistan.

Personally, I remain extremely proud of having served my country in a time of need, and while I personally disagree with war and its costs and consequences, realise that in this world it simply is not good enough to sit on the side-lines getting fat while others do the hard yards for you.

I made some "memento mori" for past service friends of mine, and put them up as simple examples of what CNC can be used for.

Pity that small minds can only criticise.

Let us see what you can do My Dunn - don't just sit back in the shadows and snipe.

It is no wonder that the contributiuons to this forum have declined markedly in the past couple of years, if all we are going to get is ennui and jaundiced criticism.

Anyway - many thanks to the many people who have been so supportive and helpful over the years, and while I will still communicate with many of you in the future, it will be by personal PM, as I see no use continuing to use this forum if it is only going to provide small people with the oportunity to sneer at those who make the effort.

Regards
Noel

spidey4fun
12th October 2011, 08:32 AM
Well, my next CNC project is to convert this machine over to Mach3.

Selective Soldering Machine Jig Making Process (http://www.homanndesigns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:selective-soldering-machine-mach3-&catid=35:smt&Itemid=30)

Cheers,

Peter.

Very cool Pete. :2tsup:

Brad.

Bob Willson
12th October 2011, 11:42 AM
SHAME SHAME SHAME

Over the past few years i have contributed to this forum, and in return received nothing but positive support from many of its members, such as Rod, Greg, Steve, Bob, Mike, Chris, Peter, Daniel, and Baz.

Now we get this sort of snide criticism from someone (who probably correctly names himself "Cro-magnon") .

It is a well-worn but true adage that "those who can do - those who can't criticise", and in my professional life as a Clinical Psychologist, I have seen and treated many such people. Unfortunately, the world is full of such people - and usually styems from envy.

As for the "fetish" of "militaristic CNC", first I suggest that before using technical terms like "fetish", Mr Dunn goes to the trouble of actually looking up the definition, and understanding what the word means - and that second, he might actually gain from acquiring some insight into those who have put their lives on the line in support of this great country, and its people - such as himself - and who have sometimes paid the ultimate price for such sacrifice.

It appears that theer will always be those who blithely assume that they need to do nothing to support their own country and their own freedom, and who are more than willing to have others die, or become permanently crippled in their name, but who are unwilling to support those efforts in any way - even in such a small way as simply refraining from snide derogatory comments.

Unfortunately, it seems that there are still some people about who still have some of the attitudes and contempt for those who put their lives on the line for them, whether it is in Vietnam, Timor, or now Afghanistan.

Personally, I remain extremely proud of having served my country in a time of need, and while I personally disagree with war and its costs and consequences, realise that in this world it simply is not good enough to sit on the side-lines getting fat while others do the hard yards for you.

I made some "memento mori" for past service friends of mine, and put them up as simple examples of what CNC can be used for.

Pity that small minds can only criticise.

Let us see what you can do My Dunn - don't just sit back in the shadows and snipe.

It is no wonder that the contributiuons to this forum have declined markedly in the past couple of years, if all we are going to get is ennui and jaundiced criticism.

Anyway - many thanks to the many people who have been so supportive and helpful over the years, and while I will still communicate with many of you in the future, it will be by personal PM, as I see no use continuing to use this forum if it is only going to provide small people with the oportunity to sneer at those who make the effort.

Regards
Noel

Nice response Noel

Please reconsider your intention to leave. We really need people like you who have in depth knowledge of our hobby.

Bob Willson

twistedfuse
12th October 2011, 01:06 PM
Free speech is good, and although i don't think he meant it to be as harsh as we have taken it, it is definitely not in good taste. The vectric site does have alot of military related projects as well as alot of Harley related projects too, but you also have to look at it, alot are done by beginners starting out and alot of the free files floating around american sites are harley and military based hence the overload of the projects.

Either way he does have to remember these are CNC forums!!! Whatever is posted i enjoy because i am here to look at cnc projects whatever they are. So come on guys, lets get this thread back on track, forget the banter and get back to the good stuff. :)

Daniel

rodm
12th October 2011, 01:18 PM
Noel,
I pointed out to Mr Dunn yesterday the direspect in his comment and thus gave him the opportunity to remove his post. This was ignored so I removed my post last night knowing that there would be an appropriate response such as yours coming.

I'm sure the majority of us are proud of our services - I am. :2tsup: Ignore the post as a troll and keep contributing - we haven't finished milking you yet. :)

It blows me away when I see the different professions that tinker in the shed. I think you wasted your professional career and should have been in a trade.

Bob Willson
12th October 2011, 01:48 PM
Noel,
I pointed out to Mr Dunn yesterday the direspect in his comment and thus gave him the opportunity to remove his post. This was ignored so I removed my post last night knowing that there would be an appropriate response such as yours coming..

Rod

You are a gentleman.

Bob Willson

rodm
12th October 2011, 02:44 PM
Hi Bob,
Can you tell SWMBO (but rarely is) that. :)

Ron Dunn
12th October 2011, 05:58 PM
When I was a boy, the returned servicemen of WWI and WWII were quite reticent about their experiences. In fact, I remember an Uncle saying that those who felt the need to brag were usually nothing but con-men or blanket stackers.

In fairness, the post on which I commented wasn't bragging and I should probably have ignored it. It triggered my response because I don't like the militaristic glorification taking place within woodworking and CNC forums, usually accompanied by users with names like "Sarge", "Chief" and "The Colonel".

PsychoPig, you're rather thin-skinned for a psychologist. I didn't criticise you personally, I expressed a dislike for the subject of some of your work. Get over it. As for my evolutionary status, it is a play on the common woodworking term of "Neanderthal", as I describe my evolution from hand tools to automation. By the way, I do have a regimental number, but it never saw any serious use.

BobWillson, you were so angry that you not only posted twice, you got the post wrong! Here is the link I think you meant to provide, but I can't see any deep offence in the responses. Your skin may also be a little thin.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f43/bustin-caps-asses-newbs-newbies-other-un-australianisms-91328/

Rod, to your last post, I wasn't trolling, I posted a deeply held point of view. I'm concerned at the extent to which "security" and "terrorism" have taken over our lives, and I'm offended by the wave of jingoism that accompanies the pointless wars of the last two decades that have cost the lives of too many Australians, destroyed too many countries, and killed too many innocent civilians. I won't glorify this threat to our Australian way of life. It is a long way from CNC, I know, but we each have our own standards of offence.

I have my own CNC machine, I built it from a kit. I built my own controller, wrote my own code to drive it, and use it to build toys for my children. My hope is that they can grow up to build their own wooden toys, in a world that doesn't celebrate "legal" terrorism.

Bob Willson
12th October 2011, 06:22 PM
BobWillson, you were so angry that you not only posted twice, you got the post wrong! Here is the link I think you meant to provide, but I can't see any deep offence in the responses. Your skin may also be a little thin.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f43/bustin-caps-asses-newbs-newbies-other-un-australianisms-91328/

Hello Ron
You are correct, I was very angry that Noel should have felt such deep offense from your remarks. I have however calmed down a bit now due in no small part to Rods example. Which I shall now follow even further by deleting my second message which is atypical of my normal demeanour. You may even find it in yourself to do the same to your post Ron.

I didn't get the link wrong, the link I gave was to the thread in which Papa voiced his annoyance, and it included a link to the thread that gave the offense.

I seldom get angry for myself and it is very difficult to insult me. I do however get angry very quickly on behalf of others.

Bob Willson

chrisb691
12th October 2011, 06:58 PM
Methinks it is time for a deep breath, and a glass of red. Feel the serenity chaps.

pcarlton
12th October 2011, 10:34 PM
In a completely unrelated topic, I would like to say hello to all of you :U, I have been a regular reader of this forum for about a year now and have finally taken the plunge and started building my first CNC router, thanks mainly to the inspiration gathered from the projects of all types that are posted here here, the work and thought that goes into each of these projects is unbeliveable.

Although I'm only a new member I'm already a big fan of people here, maybe one day soon I might have a picture worth posting ... if all goes according to plan with my router :?
thanks,

Pete