PDA

View Full Version : Glue and Grain

masoth
27th March 2006, 11:02 AM
(shudder) "Son, in my day there was only one glue!"

With so many adhesive products available, with differing directions for best application, I'm concerned with the joining strength between different timber grains.
I intend making an OUTDOOR feature of many offcuts - hard, soft, knotted, straight grain, and perhaps MDF and mirbu, air/klin dried - glued and polished.

Here's the question: Am I able to use one glue and succeed? If 'yes' what product is suggested.

ps: No change to the present width and length is intended, and best grain may even show face, not edge ............. random placement is the idea.

soth

Greg Q
27th March 2006, 12:17 PM
You should be able to do that with epoxy or urethane glue. Gorilla glue that you see advertised in the American magazines is urethane glue. It is waterproof-needs a bit of moisture to cure, in fact. It foams as it cures, so tight clamping is important. You can buy Franklin's brand at Carba-Tec, or the local commercial product at a cabinet maker's supply place.
Caution, the shelf life is only a year, and there's no way when buying retail how old the product is (No use-by date on container:confused: )

Having written all of that, maybe epoxy would be your best bet. I use West System, but there are other very good brands also.

Best,

Greg

masoth
27th March 2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks Greg.

I pretty well understand 'use by dates' - I haven't got one on me, and a lot of my contents have hardened in the container.

OK. Epoxy's the way.:D