PDA

View Full Version : Learning Experience.

Kev Y.
23rd April 2002, 05:56 PM
IT has been said that a day never goes by without a lesson being learnt. Well today I definatly learnt a HARD lesson.

When the piece of wood you are trying to turn into a bowl - in my case it was a piece of japanese maple - decides to exit the lathe at 1700 rpm, it is NOT a good idea to try and stop its travel plans with your head.

For one thing ... IT DAMN WELL HURTS!!

luckily for me the work piece did not get damaged, I think it hit something soft! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

here endeth the lesson.

Kev.

------------------
IF at first you don't succeed, relax your normal.

[This message has been edited by Brudda (edited 23 April 2002).]

John Saxton
23rd April 2002, 08:06 PM
Kev, you're one of the lucky one's to have lived to talk about it.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif Lest We Forget

Sawdust Producer
24th April 2002, 08:33 AM
Yeah Doorstop is right..

Work out why it happened?

Speed to high for bowl turning?

What sort of fixture to the Lathe was you using?

Kev Y.
24th April 2002, 10:26 PM
I know WHY, was trying something a bit out of my experience level, then got a dig in on the narrow edge of the bowl.

result... one bowl in orbit, one big lump on the head!

------------------
IF at first you don't succeed, relax your normal.

ubeaut
25th April 2002, 12:41 AM
There's a rock solid reason why a full face shield is a good idea.

Jeff
28th April 2002, 02:22 PM
Sorry to hear ya got dinged. Gotta wonder, how'd it get ya in the head? You may want to rethink your stance at the lathe. I push the limits a lot and have pieces go airborn occasionally, but rarely do they get near my head. Also, when turning pieces that seem a bit on the risky side I'll add some padding to my clothing just in case, it's come in handy a couple of times! Good luck, I hope yer inspiration and enthusiasm for turning are intact. Who knows, maybe the whack to your head gave you visions.....

------------------
"Always cutting corners...!"