PDA

View Full Version : Glue pot for Hide Glue??? where is em???

NewLou
29th March 2006, 10:55 PM
Gidday:D

Does anyone know where i can get an electric Glue pot for hide glue??? I thought of making my own but reckon I'd get more consistant heat at the right temp from a dedicated pot???

Any ideas???
Pleanty of yank suppliers but I'd have to go through the hassle to covert the dam thing to 240v ...................

Needing help Lou

Chris Parks
29th March 2006, 11:25 PM
I would use a single hotplate with a thermostat control on it and a glue pot on that.

Mirboo
30th March 2006, 02:22 AM
Hi Lou,

The Wood Works Book and Tool Co. here in Sydney sell these (http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/details.html?eqskudata=E0090&cart=32256734292720813) for use as a glue pot. They are pretty expensive though and the 1-litre capacity sounds pretty big. They do mail order so they could send you one if you wanted them to.

Alternatively, follow the link on the right hand side of this (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm) webpage that takes you to the info on pearl glue. At the bottom of this page is an extract from Neil's "A Polishers Handbook" that describes how he heats pearl glue (hide glue) using a thermostat controlled electric baby bottle warmer. I sold such a baby bottle warmer on eBay recently for about $30 and I'm sure you can get them cheaper than that.

Regards,
Mirboo.

NewLou
30th March 2006, 06:29 AM
Thx Mirboo:)

Really appreciate that I couldn't find one anywhere

...................Greenie on the way!!!

REgards Lou:D:D:D

outback
30th March 2006, 07:48 AM
Check out ebay. Try warmers that wimin use to heat up wax for de-furring. Also baby bottle warmers. Thermostat controlled hot pots. Anything in that line which you can have a water bath in which you can put your pot.

RufflyRustic
30th March 2006, 09:13 AM
How about the wax warmer for beautician's waxing, you know, legs and other areas..... I think someone else on the forum did this successfully. My step-aunt once removed turned round twice and back again or something like that has two wax warmers running 24x7, practically 365 with no adverse effects to the wax or the equipment.

cheers
Wendy

NewLou
30th March 2006, 09:17 AM
Thx everyone :D :D :D

REally appreciate the ideas and suggestions....................GREAT STUFF!!

REgards Lou:)

AlexS
30th March 2006, 10:11 AM
Lou, I did see something similar in an art supply shop - prolly the same as the beautician's one.

echnidna
30th March 2006, 10:14 AM
the wax pots are the go.
usually some on ebay

Paul B
30th March 2006, 11:35 AM
Yeah, wax pots. I bought one after seeing that that's all the woodworks hot glue pot was. Ebay is way cheaper than woodworks tho. They work great.

Heavansabove
30th March 2006, 08:28 PM
Baby bottle warmers do not get hot enough (I have tested this). I use a wax warmer, works well.

kiwigeo
5th April 2006, 10:55 PM
How about the wax warmer for beautician's waxing, you know, legs and other areas..... I think someone else on the forum did this successfully. My step-aunt once removed turned round twice and back again or something like that has two wax warmers running 24x7, practically 365 with no adverse effects to the wax or the equipment.

cheers
Wendy

This is exactly what I use. Got mine from MIK in Adelaide. As well as making up hide glue its great for keeping my legs looking as smooth as silk.

Cheers Martin

RufflyRustic
6th April 2006, 02:06 PM
And we are all staying away from that one Martin:D

where's me foiley hat and for my eyes when you need it;)

cheers
RR

coastie
6th April 2006, 06:30 PM
Fair makes your skin crawl dunt it?

kiwigeo
6th April 2006, 10:13 PM
Fair makes your skin crawl dunt it?

If your skin's crawling then its definitely time for a leg wax.

Iain
7th April 2006, 09:31 AM
If your skin's crawling then its definitely time for a leg wax.
Or less formication (sp....correct);)