PDA

View Full Version : My First Box - Sass n Myrtle

dazzler
29th March 2006, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone

Okay I am hooked. Never thought box making could be so much fun!:D

So here is my first. A gift for a work colleague who will be leaving the south island soon.

Myrtle case with blackheart sassafras top. The timber was from down the huon valley and is the first project where I have taken raw timber and cut to size and dressed etc. Very happy..see >>>>>>>>>:D

Hand cut Gifkins dovetails :D (well I had to hold the damned jig with them anyway;) ).

Finished in four coats of China Wood Oil :).

Should I put a coat of wax or polish or similar:confused:

cheers

dazzzler

p.s.....pick the first lesson learnt:o

Wongo
29th March 2006, 11:06 PM
Good looking box mate.:)

Shedhand
29th March 2006, 11:40 PM
Nice work Daz;)

old_picker
29th March 2006, 11:45 PM
Great looking finish on a real nice piece.

By the way how did you get the colour to come up in the myrtle?

I am working on a myrtle piece and its real pink looking. Looks crap but to get that rich red you got there would make it a real eyepopper.

DPB
30th March 2006, 09:16 AM
Nice work, Dazzler. I personally find the blackheart sassafras top too busy used in this application.

I'm curious about the 'buttons' on the top of the lid where the hinges are located. Tell us about this.:confused:

AlexS
30th March 2006, 10:21 AM
Good result Dazzler, though I'd have used narrower pieces for the sas. lid frame. Nonetheless, a great start & a gift I'm sure your colleague will appreciate.

Wardy
30th March 2006, 03:01 PM
your work colleague will enjoy the box for years to come. great effort Dazzler:D

Cheers Wardy

Ian007
30th March 2006, 04:33 PM
Dazzler nice work mate

re the PS my guess would be a mitre cut the wrong way on the first cut so you had to have another go and lost the grain flow on the lid.:eek:

Cheers Ian

Auld Bassoon
30th March 2006, 06:23 PM
Nice one Dazz!

Boxes are fun, eh?

MajorPanic
30th March 2006, 06:29 PM
Bloody excellent work!!

Your colleague will be well pleased! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

dazzler
30th March 2006, 07:47 PM
Nice work, Dazzler. I personally find the blackheart sassafras top too busy used in this application.

I'm curious about the 'buttons' on the top of the lid where the hinges are located. Tell us about this.:confused:

As SWMBO would say

FINE! :mad:

Myrtle it is!;)

dazzler
30th March 2006, 07:50 PM
Dazzler nice work mate

re the PS my guess would be a mitre cut the wrong way on the first cut so you had to have another go and lost the grain flow on the lid.:eek:

Cheers Ian

No but thanks:rolleyes: :p

My avitar should give a hint;)

cheers

dazzler

Wardy
30th March 2006, 07:58 PM
Hi Dazzler, the mistake, did you drill the holes right through the lid for the barrel hinges? Wardy

PhilMcCrackin
30th March 2006, 08:00 PM
Great feet, They compliment the box nicely. Job well done!

dazzler
30th March 2006, 08:41 PM
Hi Dazzler, the mistake, did you drill the holes right through the lid for the barrel hinges? Wardy

YEP!:(

Gumby
30th March 2006, 08:50 PM
good work Daz, greeny sent - I like it :)

DPB
31st March 2006, 02:51 PM
YEP!:(

That was my guess, but I was too polite to mention it directly, hence my question.:D