PDA

View Full Version : No 11 (thinking)

ptc
30th March 2006, 06:08 PM
Spent all afternoon getting all the gunk off it.
thought I was into carving ?
its still in the planning stage.
No 10 has gone.

ozwinner
30th March 2006, 06:27 PM
Carve a frog, the timber has a frog hiding in it..:p

Al :cool:

Auld Bassoon
30th March 2006, 06:50 PM
Carve a frog, the timber has a frog hiding in it..:p

Al :cool:

I was seeing an octopus? Maybe passing the aquarium, in SLOOOOOOOW traffic every morning, here in Melbourne is getting to me :eek:

PS P.T.C. Don't, whatever you do, buy a piece of timber that has any semblance of a goat to it :eek: :D :D

ozwinner
30th March 2006, 07:01 PM
Maybe its an Octopus eating a frog?

Al :p

outback
30th March 2006, 07:09 PM
MAybe the frog is eating octopussy. :p :p :p

(tastes just like prawns)

ozwinner
30th March 2006, 07:14 PM
MAybe the frog is eating octopussy. :p :p :p

(tastes just like prawns)

Wrong.
Octapus tastes like, well, erh, Octapus.

You need to get to an ocean more often.

Al :p

Sculptured Box
30th March 2006, 07:36 PM
I dislike natural edge bandsawn boxes, and therefore no comment.

Everytime I see a natural edge box it seems like someone is avoiding their responsibility to show the true beauty of our timbers. A bit like having a shower with a raincoat on!!!

Tony Ward
www.tonyward.org

RufflyRustic
30th March 2006, 08:17 PM
Sorry Tony, but I live true to my nickname - I love keeping the natural edge on timber - though sometimes, I will admit, it depends on the piece whether the natural edge stays or not - and love seeing other's work where they keep the 'edge' too.:)

PTC - This piece has me intrigued. Now that I read No10 has gone:( , I'd be happy to pre-purchase No 11, sight and design unseen.:o :) PPPPLLLLLEEEEEEAAASSEE!!!!!:eek: :D

cheers
Wendy
____
one of your avid fans

Sculptured Box
31st March 2006, 07:14 AM
Sorry Tony, but I live true to my nickname - I love keeping the natural edge on timber - !:eek: :D

cheers
Wendy
____
one of your avid fans

Wendy

But what happens if as in nature, the natural edge (the bark) falls off?

Tony Ward
www.tonyward.org

Wongo
31st March 2006, 08:51 AM
A mummy’s foot??:cool:

ptc
31st March 2006, 10:30 AM
Tony.
I spent all afternoon getting the bark off.
it was like cast iron.
as you know it is difficult finding stuff big enough for a box.
i do not have the gear to laminate. so decided to give the burl a go.
we have one here that the bark does not come off.
it's called Horizontal

Wendy.
when i make one that i am truly happy with.
its yours.

RufflyRustic
31st March 2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks PTC :)

Tony - to be honest, I haven't been working with wood long enough to have the bark fall off a finished piece so I can't honestly say what I will do when (hopefully if) this happens.

I suppose it would depend on how much the piece dries after the finish and what sort of finish was used.

cheers
Wendy

TTIT
31st March 2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks PTC :)

Tony - to be honest, I haven't been working with wood long enough to have the bark fall off a finished piece so I can't honestly say what I will do when (hopefully if) this happens.

I suppose it would depend on how much the piece dries after the finish and what sort of finish was used.

cheers
Wendy

Good old CA keeps just about any bark on if you can get it in there soon enough. A few pieces I've done have shown signs of the bark lifting while drying so I just kept feeding it CA wherever I saw separation until the whole edge was done.;)

RufflyRustic
31st March 2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks TTIT, but after reading about someone's response to CA, I think I'll pass on using it. I never thought to simply keep glueing the bark on if it lifts.

Thanks
Wendy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st March 2006, 07:58 PM
Ruffly, it's one thing to use CA for quick repairs, it's a completely different kettle of fish to sit down for an hour or two gluing in pen-tubes or using it as a finish. Anything taken to excess is bad for you... even too much air or water.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about it. :)

RufflyRustic
31st March 2006, 09:52 PM
Oh - :o - you'd better call me a nervous nelly then:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reality check Skew:)

cheers
Wendy