PDA

View Full Version : My first lidded box...

CameronPotter
31st March 2006, 07:17 PM
Well, OK, it is my second, but the first is a gift for Dad (and I haven't given it to him yet so I won't post it here).

It has a nice vacuum fit (although could be slightly tighter - but only by a few microns).

The pics are the box itself and the bottom and inside of lid (which were turned to match each other).

The box is about 12cm tall and about 6-7 cm in diameter.

I like the slightly coned (inverted) lid, but I will admit I stole that design from Mr Raffan! :D

Cam

Gumby
31st March 2006, 10:43 PM
Nice , can we have more details? Timber, finish etc. Black heart sas ?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st April 2006, 01:37 AM
If that ain't BH Sas, then I'm the monkey's uncle... having said that, I s'pose I'd best go practise my ooks. :rolleyes:

Nice box, BTW. Jam chucking? I've given up trying for vacuum fits... I dry all my own wood and I tend to be too impatient; what's a vac fit today is a camshaft tomorrow. :o

La truciolara
2nd April 2006, 05:52 AM
...I like the slightly coned (inverted) lid, but I will admit I stole that design from Mr Raffan! :D
Cam
Very nice box and I imagine your satisfaction when it was finished.
No problem for picking up the Idea From Richard. He publishes books just for that.
As you will soon see, the only limit to woodturning is imagination. Go on and show us more of your works. :)

CameronPotter
2nd April 2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys.

The box was initially chucked in a four jaw chuck, trued up and approximately turned for the outside.

I then cut the rebate into the bottom to hold it in the chuck using an expansion grip. Then parted off the base and turned the inside of the lid.

Then I checked the base and hollowed it out. Then I cut the inside lip for the lid (which was initially tight enough to work as a jam chuck).

Cleaned up the outside of the lid, then loosened the fit until it was just a slight vacuum fit.

Yes, it is Black Sassy (I forget some people may be less familiar with Tassie woods) - so yes, you are safe Skew.

These extra attachments is the pen box and the desk set that I turned for him from huon pine. Smells nice, and he likes it, but Huon isn't my favourite wood - a bit one dimensional for my tastes.

Cam

dai sensei
2nd April 2006, 09:11 PM
Nice work Cam. I like turning little trinket boxes myself, I like your design.

Babytoolman
3rd April 2006, 09:02 AM
good job Cameron,
it looks great young man.

CameronPotter
3rd April 2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks. I really like the freedom you have in doing larger pieces (rather than just pens). But, pens are fast and useful - so they do have their upsides.

Cam

ps I forgot to mention the finish for Gumby... Sanded to 1200 grit and finsihed with EEE then Shellawax Cream - although the inside was done with walnut oil.

TTIT
3rd April 2006, 02:04 PM
I agree with Skew on the matter of fit - even wood that's been seasoned for 20 years has gone pear-shaped (literally) on me at times. You could do it if you stuck with "safe" type timbers but where would the fun be in that!
Good stuff Cam - keep em' coming!:D :D :D

CameronPotter
3rd April 2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks. The problem with the vac. fit is worth thinking about. How long before it goes out of shape? Days? Weeks?

The worst I have had was a really nice bowl I did for my girlfriend that was from Tas. Myrtle. It is now almost square! Furthermore the fiddleback feature is now quite ridged. Unfortunately it was too thin to clean up. I had left this piece of wood to dry for years though.

Grumble grumble...