View Full Version : wood glue

Farm boy
11th April 2006, 07:43 AM
good morning all
what is a good brand of pve wood glue to buy thanks
greg

Iain
11th April 2006, 08:14 AM
Most of the big names seem OK, I used to use Weldbond but have now gone to Titebond.
They have quite a range and are available from Carbatec and other places.
AV Syntec also produce good glues as do several other manufacturers.
I just avoid el cheapo glues from The Warehouse and suchlike, as I have no idea where they come from or what is in them.

Farm boy
11th April 2006, 08:52 AM
thanks ian
i bought a bottle of wood glue from a $2 shop never again:mad: .
i will give it to the kids to use in craft and get some better stuff
hence the thread on wood glue
greg

Iain
11th April 2006, 09:09 AM
The cheap glue is useful for sealing, I have diluted it 1:1 with water and sealed MDF for painting.
Apart from that the kids used to use it for making bird feeder blocks, a mixture of bird seed and PVA in a mold.
I did a glue up with it once and after a couple of months the whole thing had moved and finally fell apart, I have had no such problems with Titebond (albeit crosslinked yellow glue), it does cost more, like about $12 a bottle 500ml, but you just know it's not going to creep.

Ashore
11th April 2006, 09:12 AM
At present I use triton , but when that runs out will be switching to Titebond

Rgds

Farm boy
11th April 2006, 09:16 AM
good morning russell
my father in law and i crushed 400kg of shiraz grapes on the weekend.
red wine in 3 months:D

Iain
11th April 2006, 09:22 AM
And I am about to start a new home brew, all grain from the ground up, a dark hopped ale, should also be ready in about three months.
Must start having a go at wine one day.
If I am in Floraville, I know who to look for, the two blokes with red feet :D
Back to glue, I have used the Timbecon Saligna glue, worked OK but a bit dissapointed with the crappy cap which became brittle and cracked, threw out about half a bottle.

TommyC
11th April 2006, 09:25 AM
I use Titebond, in the big 2L bottle, so it is cheaper. i bought a small (200ml) plastic sauce bottle at the supermarket for about 30c, and just top it up from time to time from the big 2L bottle. Good glue.

doug the slug
11th April 2006, 11:35 AM
At present I use triton , but when that runs out will be switching to Titebond

I use triton glue and im very happy with it. Any reason you are switching, Ashore?????

9Fingers
11th April 2006, 11:43 AM
I use Titebond on everything. Never failed me yet:).

Ashore
11th April 2006, 12:07 PM
I use triton glue and im very happy with it. Any reason you are switching, Ashore?????

Doug I have had some stains on timber from it, and because it was originally designed with solid particles to aid with biscuit joining it is thicker than the Titebond and seems to require extra clamping pressure to get the joint right. this has caused me some concern espically when using huon with long mitre joints in picture frames as the huon markes so easily.

As to the strength etc I have no problems at all with triton glue, espically its shelf life after opening, as long as the cap goes back on it doesn't go off.

Lignum
11th April 2006, 12:12 PM
good morning all
what is a good brand of pve wood glue to buy thanks
greg

Isnt that the glue Kiwis use. Polyvinyl Ecetate

ss_11000
11th April 2006, 01:21 PM
thanks ian
i bought a bottle of wood glue from a $2 shop never again:mad: .
igreg

i use to use wood glue from the warehouse on pen blanks and tubes..it didn't work, so i've changed too:) :(

Brian 1520
12th April 2006, 01:50 PM
All you ever wanted to know about glue.

http://www.titebond.com/

outback
12th April 2006, 02:01 PM
I use Titebond, I"m sticking to it. :p

TommyC
12th April 2006, 02:47 PM
nyuk nyuk

Wood Butcher
12th April 2006, 09:14 PM
I use Selleys Exterior Aquadhere. Works really well in everything I've used it for and its around the same price as the other glues.

dai sensei
12th April 2006, 09:31 PM
I use the Triton. I might give the Titebond a go based on Ashmore's comments as the Triton is relatively thick.

I did use some no name yellow glue recently from a woodshow a few years back, it stuck well, but never again. It stayed yellow and left me with very thin bright yellow lines when I used the oild finish:eek: :mad:

seanr
13th April 2006, 12:34 AM
selleys ext for me... $40 for 4lts ...never failed me yet ... Tried the yellow carp from timbecon , never again .