PDA

View Full Version : Turning CrushGrind Peppermills

CameronPotter
11th April 2006, 07:10 PM
Hi,

I bought a CrushGrind mill and I was looking at the instructions. They suggest you use:

22mm Forstner
38mm Forstner
45mm Forstner
20-25mm Auger

Now, I don't have any of these and they wouldn't be very cheap to buy them all...

Does anyone have experience in making these without all of these bits? I want to check in case someone can stop me from making a stupid mistake!!

I assume that I can simply turn these profiles myself?

Also, it mentions trimming the plastic webbing off, does that mean cutting off the plastic clip locking mechanism? I can't see anything I would describe as "webbing".

Cheers

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th April 2006, 07:59 PM
I assume that I can simply turn these profiles myself?

Also, it mentions trimming the plastic webbing off, does that mean cutting off the plastic clip locking mechanism? I can't see anything I would describe as "webbing".

Yes. I recommend using the auger though, unless you're far more patient than I.

By webbing they probably mean the dags left over from the moulding process.

CameronPotter
12th April 2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks Skew,

I do have smaller augers that I thought that I could widen out (after all that doesn't need to be accurate - it is just where the pepper goes).

As for the dags, I couldn't see any, so I must have just been lucky. :)

Cam

macca2
12th April 2006, 12:11 PM
I have turned these but have always used the Forstner bits.. Just a cheap set from Carbatec. I think about $53 for a set of 10.
When it says to remove webbing it means the clips that if you see the actual crushgrind instructions fit into a recess turned with a special tool which you have to make.
I tried this and it is way to difficult.
Just remove the clips and the mechanism becomes a push fit. If it too loose, then used superglue or arydite. Dont get it on the moving bits.

Cheers Macca

CameronPotter
12th April 2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks Macca.

I thought that might be the case.

Cheers

Cam