PDA

View Full Version : Captain Chaos Pen Press

Captain Chaos
15th April 2006, 01:24 AM
G'day everyone,
I thought that I'd post some pictures of the pen press that I have built for assembling pens. It is based on a cheap drill stand used in conjunction with electric hand drills.
I saw the stands at Bunnies - Parafield whilst looking for an Irwin Record pistol clamp to use for assembling the pens that I've been making for Ian007's Fund Raiser. I've been toying with the idea of buying & setting up a 1/2 ton arbor press for assembling the pens, so when I saw the drill stands, everything just coalesced into a workable plan for the pen press.
The drill stand cost $15.95 & the timber for the base / spacer tables & arbor were offcuts of Redgum from my turning projects. The white face material is a tough plastic material used for mudflaps for semi trailers etc.. It was cut roughly to shape & glued to the arbors with 5 min. Araldite . Once set, the arbors were turned in the lathe. The spigot for the top arbor is 42mm. dia. The lower spigot is turned to 2" dia to suit the recess bored into the spacer block with a 2'" dia. forstner bit The block was held in the Nova chuck by this recess & the opposite face turned flat. I turned the recess out to 3 1/4" dia. x 1/4" deep to accept the Masonite disc. the disc was just pushed into the recess & the face was sanded flush. There is a 1/4" hole drilled through from the other face to allow the masonite disc to be removed if required.
I don't know if this idea for a pen press has been used before, but I thought that I would share it with all my fellow pen turners to use.
Regards,
Barry.
P.S. If anyone would like more info. on this press, please ask via this post, or P.M. me & I shall be glad to assist.

fxst
17th April 2006, 09:56 PM
I use a similar method but with my mill/drill. I have a 1/2 inch bolt faced off square and press onto the table. I use a el cheapo nylon cutting board to press onto so the parts dont get damaged. Same idea different tools :)
There are quite a few peple that use their drill press to do light press work
Pete

Captain Chaos
18th April 2006, 07:59 PM
G'day Pete,
I was using my lathe tailstock to assemble the few ( 4 ) pens that I'd made prior to Ian007's fund raiser & found it a bit difficult at times. I could have used another pair of hands. ;) I do have a drill press which I've set up for drilling pen blanks & really do not have much room around it to put trays etc..
As it is my pen blanks end up in a box resting on the lathe bed. I've actually got to move my ute out of the shed in order to do any wood turning / woodwork. :eek: Plus, I believe that a tool or machine should only be used for the purpose for which it was built. It's no big deal, just something that was handed down to me by an old tradesman during my apprenticeship. I don't want to get into a slinging match over which is the best way to do any particular job. There are as many ways as there are grains of sand on all the beaches of the world. Each & every one of them suitable for some one.
I also do the odd woodturning demonstration, so this press setup would be quite easy to set up & use at such demos - I hope.:)
I've put the pictures on the board for anyone to use if they think that it would be a viable option for them + it is also pretty cheap to make - always a bonus! :D I've got a couple of mods to do to it yet & will post some piccies of them once completed.
Thanks for your response Pete.
Regards,
Barry.

fxst
18th April 2006, 08:41 PM
I agree with you re tailstock for assembling its a PITA. No slanging match just thought I would let you know how others do it :D. With the mill/drill I have the ability to move bits by the thou which makes getting it right (for me) easier and has saved me disassembling the odd pen. your new accessory is a good 'un and as I made the mini lathe for travelling I may have to look into it to add to the travel case :D
Pete