PDA

View Full Version : Squealing rolling door

JB
17th April 2006, 10:05 PM
Can anyone tell me which moving component(s) in old manual roller doors cause the squealing noise? The shed I've just moved into had two ear-splitting roller doors. I have removed 95% of the squeal by spraying a couple of cans of CRC into the ends (axle, spring etc) but a slight squeal remains; not a major problem I admit but also not a noise I enjoy hearing first and last thing each working day.

Barry_White
17th April 2006, 10:15 PM
JB

If they are industrial doors the guides could be in to close too the curtain and the edge of the curtain could be rubbing on the inside of the guide which would be metal to metal and would cause a squealing noise.

Carry Pine
18th April 2006, 12:17 PM
JB
Seeing you are desperate, here's my experience. I have noticed squealing in my garage (automatic!!!!) rolla door and I put it down to slight movement in the house. The runners are not perfectly parrallel any more. Thank goodness everything is adjustable these days.

Graham

gsouth
19th April 2006, 09:46 PM
if it's a panel door I found that the join along each panel rubs over time letting out a noise that sounds like the springs rubbing or squeaking.
Had the door guy come out and he couldn't find it - was only when I stood OUTSIDE the garage I found the source of the noise - a little grease in the joins and silence :-)

Geoff

aussiecolector
19th April 2006, 10:36 PM
CRC is next to useless as a lubricant. You could try an old fasioned oil can, but not on the tracks though, only use silicon based lube on tracks.

JB
23rd April 2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. Sorry to say that none seem to solve the problem. The noise seems to be coming from the end, around the spring area. Cant see rub marks on the guides so guess they aren't touching the moving door. I've tried oil everywhere but no improvement. Might have to live with it for the time being.

Barry_White
23rd April 2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. Sorry to say that none seem to solve the problem. The noise seems to be coming from the end, around the spring area. Cant see rub marks on the guides so guess they aren't touching the moving door. I've tried oil everywhere but no improvement. Might have to live with it for the time being.

Just as another thought have you checked the axle where it goes through the drum wheel. Depending on the type of roller door and the age some had a PVC bearing in the hole in the drum where the axel goes through and these wear out and you have metal to metal.

If this is so some heavy axel grease may stop the squeal