PDA

View Full Version : It appears I suffer the same affliction as Ruffly...

CameronPotter
18th April 2006, 10:04 PM
No, I don't mean dressing up in tight red dominatrix suits - I don't see that as an affliction.;) I speak of being bullied by the wood...

Let me tell you a tale of woe...

Here I was, an unsuspecting fool in possession of a new spur drive and wanting to give it a go. I bolt down a REALLY nice dinner and pop out to the shed thinking, well I'll just give it a little go - but I won't do too much as I want to rest my shoulder (which has been playing up for some reason).

Anyway, I pick up a nice looking piece of sassy thinking that I will just turn it round... Then tomorrow I can do a bit more - well, the wood had other plans. I was trapped by its evil guile. :(

So I think, right, well, I will turn this wood nice and round to maximise the internal size and make a largish box... Not to be apparently.

Then I thought OK... It obviously wants a waist - so I started going for a "coke bottle" style shape - nope. The wood wasn't happy that way either. Damn!

"I really need to go inside," I think to myself. But I take another look at the wood and it immediately puts a stop to that idea...

So, I finally figure out that it wants to be a vase and at this stage I realised just how badly I suffered from the affliction.

Anyway, at this stage I thought, "Bugger that! I am here to make a bloody box and a bloody box is what I am going to make!" So, I get back to the lathe and start turning. The box still takes the shape of a vase, but I part off a section for the lid - but I had a devil of a time getting it to stay in the chuck for hollowing (a Jacob's chuck). Anyway, after a lot of effort, I finally get the lid sorted and hollow out the box as best as I could - which basically ended up being a vase anyway...

Hmmm.

Anyway, I then fitted the lid and started to turn a fancy finial on it - well it jumped off the lathe (somehow the lid stayed on the box though) and the finial which was fairly petite busted off - apparently it wasn't to be either... So I went with what the wood wanted - a very stubby finial.

The final result a box (or so I like to think), but I get the distinct impression that it is reall a lidded vase... :(

I feel so beaten on...

:rolleyes:

ss_11000
18th April 2006, 10:58 PM
my wood talked to me for the first time the other day....i'm so proud:o . anyway, i put my foot down and made it to what it was meant to be......a practise piece. the wood wanted to be something better, but you got to put your foot down and tell the wood otherwise and all will turn out fine. except this time a decided to sand and finish this practise piece and am now looking into lamp making............so actually i'm trying to decide: did me or the wood win?

Cam. i like your lidded vase thingy.........the sassy looks superb and has got a nice figure. i'll give ya a greenie if i can (or should i: ur catching up to me.........:p :D :eek: )

ss_11000
18th April 2006, 11:00 PM
sorry cam......i've got to spread more greenies around, i'll try again later tonite if some ones done something worthy of one

ozwinner
18th April 2006, 11:07 PM
No, I don't mean dressing up in tight red dominatrix suits - I don't see that as an affliction.;)
:rolleyes:

Me neither, so where are the piccys?
Huh?
Huh?

Al :p

Bodgy
18th April 2006, 11:13 PM
My wood often talks to me. Tells me to f888 off and not to leave my day job. It would apparently prefer to still be growing, in majestic splendour, and not dead and being hacked about by some looser.

ozwinner
18th April 2006, 11:18 PM
. Tells me to f888 off .

Never. :eek:
Maybe f777, or at a pinch f111.

Al :confused: :p

skot
19th April 2006, 08:48 AM
That Lidded Box Vase looks great...drill some holes in the lid for the Flower stems...that will teach that bit of wood who's the boss

RufflyRustic
19th April 2006, 09:30 AM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/ms.gif Ah Ha, A few more are owning up to being members of this club ;)

:D

Lovely Sass Turning there Cameron, I think you tamed this one well.

cheers
Wendy

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 10:39 AM
Me neither, so where are the piccys?
Huh?
Huh?

Al :p

Sorry Al,

Last time I tried that I spent a few days in the clink... So I now have to carefully choose where I distribute such piccies! ;)

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 10:42 AM
so actually i'm trying to decide: did me or the wood win?

i'll give ya a greenie if i can (or should i: ur catching up to me.........:p :D :eek: )

Sorry mate - I think that the wood won. I was re-watching one of Raffan's videos the other day and he was using pieces of cherry for practice bowl turning and they had nice variation across the wood and I was just grimacing at the TV thinking, you can't waste that!! :(

As for the greenie thing - I think that you are still way ahead of me... :rolleyes: But I am trying! :p

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 10:45 AM
My wood often talks to me. Tells me to f888 off and not to leave my day job. It would apparently prefer to still be growing, in majestic splendour, and not dead and being hacked about by some looser.

LOL! Greenie primed and on its way!

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 10:46 AM
That Lidded Box Vase looks great...drill some holes in the lid for the Flower stems...that will teach that bit of wood who's the boss

Good idea Skot. :D

I will thinking about that... It may be just what it wants...

Cam

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/ms.gif Ah Ha, A few more are owning up to being members of this club ;)

Thanks Ruffly...

I might have to put that in my signature now. :rolleyes:

Cam

ss_11000
19th April 2006, 03:46 PM
Sorry mate - I think that the wood won. I was re-watching one of Raffan's videos the other day and he was using pieces of cherry for practice bowl turning and they had nice variation across the wood and I was just grimacing at the TV thinking, you can't waste that!! :(

As for the greenie thing - I think that you are still way ahead of me... :rolleyes: But I am trying! :p

oh well, i'll let the wood have this round. http://www.ubeaut.biz/banghead.gif

http://www.ubeaut.biz/gonnagetit.gif(stupid wood.):eek: :D

ptc
19th April 2006, 05:52 PM
Inovation is the word.
You both won.!
looks great.

CameronPotter
19th April 2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks ptc.

I must say that I prefer the interactive side of the hobby. For instance, I am always turning my lathe off so I can see what the finished product will look like. No point in turning it to some shape and ending up having turned off all of the feature/character of the piece...

You are absolutely right about everyone being a winner in that process! :)

Cam

Auld Bassoon
19th April 2006, 07:01 PM
Looks pretty much like a vase to me :)

CameronPotter
21st April 2006, 11:32 AM
But it certainly isn't cyclone proof :o

(ask Cliff for an explanation as it references one of my previous bowls). :p

Cam

rsser
21st April 2006, 11:45 AM
Wood talking ... nice way of putting it. I can certainly relate to that.

I like to start by drawing the blank cross-section on graph paper in ink, full or half size, and then with pencil play with the shapes it might take. Settle on one, rub out the others, and use the main points for measurements to rough out the blank.

That said, sometimes a cut or two will suggest something more interesting and I'll go with the flow.

CameronPotter
21st April 2006, 11:50 AM
Wood talking ... nice way of putting it. I can certainly relate to that.

Thanks, but it was RufflyRustic that started it with a thread on a sawtill/dresser.

I have tried working to dimensions, but as I prefer to work with highly figured wood the planned dimensions are usually thrown away very quickly - ie after the wood is trued up. :eek:

Mind you, with less figured wood I can understand that approach, but then you have to be good enough to follow the plan too. ;)

Cam