PDA

View Full Version : Advice on scroll chucks

LukeF.
20th April 2006, 10:34 PM
This site is new to me, and this is also my first posting so please excuse my ignorance. I have been turning for about 2/3 months now and have really enjoyed it so far. I have a very basic adjustable chuck that I got with the lathe when I bought it (second hand). I'm not at all happy with it and am wanting to upgrade to something decent. I've had a bit of a look on the internet and am after a bit of advice/personal experiences regarding which I should get. I was looking at either the Vicmarc VM100 (carba-tec $229), or the Supernova2 (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au - $185).

Just wondering what users of either type found good/bad about the chucks. Or, what other similar chucks they could recommend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Wood Butcher
20th April 2006, 10:40 PM
Luke, welcome here and hope you stick around. Word of warning, I hope you have a good sense of humour!! (you'll fnd out why eventually!)

In regards to the chuck, The SuperNova2 is fantastic. I've used them at work and can't fault them. Realistically there is not much difference btween them and it comes down to personally preference. BTW, does the prices you've quoted include the insert to match the thread on your lathe?? Something else to keep in mind!

MathewA
20th April 2006, 11:07 PM
One thing the VM has that the supernova doesn't is use an allen key instead of a proprietary chuck key. If you have ever tried to grab hold of a deep vessel from the inside with a chuck where you can only use the supplied chuck key you will know what a bitch that is. I had the VM120 but sold it with another lathe I had. When I bought my oneway I also bought their stronghold chuck which is suspiciously very similar to the supernova (is one company making them for the other...) I wished I kept the VM. I also found the action when closing and opening the jaws to be much smoother with the VM which in turn means that you have much better feel and feedback as to how much pressure you're exerting on a piece.

bsrlee
20th April 2006, 11:22 PM
MathewA - the Supernova2 now uses a hex wrench/allen key that fits into a socket drive on the outer casing.

The other advantage of the 'Nova' series of chuck is that the jaws are pretty much all interchangeable between all models (OK, there is a really enoumous set of jaws that only fit the new big chuck) whereas Vicmark has jaws that only fit one size chuck, so if you get a much bigger/smaller chuck you have to get all new jaws.

Either chuck will make you really happy, just don't buy any other (brand) chuck, as they will either be cr&p or lacking in local retail support.

Toasty
20th April 2006, 11:30 PM
One thing the VM has that the supernova doesn't is use an allen key instead of a proprietary chuck key.
My SuperNova2 came supplied with a t-handled ball end allen key. I'm superbly happy with it although all I personally have to compare it to was an old tommy bar style chuck, what a pain in the ass that was...

Wood worrier
21st April 2006, 03:35 AM
Both the Vicmark and the supernova2 are excellent if anything the VM seems to have a stronger grip, I made up an extra long handle from mild steel for large items. Only downside is that my VM is prone to corrosion (UK weather!).

hughie
21st April 2006, 09:52 AM
Luke,
All this is good advice. I use Supernova2 chucks, why? cos I got em cheap in the beginning. Both Vicmark and Teknatool are reputable companies and they make a good product.
Both chucks have there strong points ,as we all have our personal preferences.
Go along to a couple of outlets and have a good look at the chucks. Check out their websites, finally go to your local wood turning guild and pick the brains of the members and if possible have a play around with each of the chucks available.'
hughie

rsser
21st April 2006, 10:18 AM
I've got one of each.

A key difference for me is the transferability of jaws between the Teknatool chucks (except the Powergrips) - that's a real plus.

A real pill if you have both brands is that the key turns opposite ways so you have to stop and think when swapping around.

Cliff Rogers
21st April 2006, 11:13 AM
I have several of each for different jobs.

The best thing about the SN2 is that it doesn't rust like the VM does.

LukeF.
21st April 2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks to those who responed to my original posting, your opininons/experiences are much appreciated. To those interested in the SN2, I did email gary pye woodturning (Currumbin, QLD) about the price I quoted in my original email (to check the pricing), and yes the price is $185 including insert to suit your lathe and includes the 75mm jaws- Gary said however that this price was for a limited time of 2 more weeks. So, I think that this is what I'll be getting, because it seems to be a pretty good price.
Again, thanks
and thanks for welcoming me to the forum
Regards
Luke

rsser
21st April 2006, 06:49 PM
I think you'll be happy with that choice Luke. Good price too.

[Edit: re rusting on the Vicmarcs, it's very simple: just mount a sheep from time to time and give it a spin. The lanolin stops the spots :D ]

Cliff Rogers
21st April 2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah Ern, that works.

I got some 'sheep-in-a-tin' Lanoguard that I spray on.

RETIRED
21st April 2006, 10:16 PM
Yeah Ern, that works.

I got some 'sheep-in-a-tin' Lanoguard that I spray on.
Don't tell the NZers we can their sheep.:D

ubeaut
22nd April 2006, 02:25 AM
Luke - It is only a couple or 3 weeks to the Brisbane Timber and Working With Wood Show. Personally I would be hanging out till then. I reckon you might even do a bit better than that. GPW, Gregories, Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies, Mik International and Timbecon (just to mention a few) will all be vying for your money.

Cheers - Neil :)

Wood worrier
22nd April 2006, 03:48 AM
I think you'll be happy with that choice Luke. Good price too.

[Edit: re rusting on the Vicmarcs, it's very simple: just mount a sheep from time to time and give it a spin. The lanolin stops the spots :D ]Thanks for that RSSER, we've plenty of sheep on the Scottish hills - but they are a bu**er to catch (or so I'm told)! I've found it easier to use spray on silicone (no remarks please!).:o

LukeF.
26th April 2006, 10:24 AM
Luke - It is only a couple or 3 weeks to the Brisbane Timber and Working With Wood Show. Personally I would be hanging out till then. I reckon you might even do a bit better than that. GPW, Gregories, Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies, Mik International and Timbecon (just to mention a few) will all be vying for your money.

Cheers - Neil :)

Hi Neil,
thanks for the advice. So, you think that I should be waiting. I had planned to go to the Brisbane Timber and Working With Wood Show, in fact I'm very keen to be going, because I haven't been before. Just in relation to the current pricing of the Supernova 2, I've had a look on the internet at what other stores/shops are selling the SN2 with the 75mm jaws for, and the price is around $232-$240 approximately. Which in comparison to what Gary Pye Woodturning is selling them for at the moment results a saving of about $45-$55. As I mentioned, I haven't been to the Brisbane Timber and Working With Wood Show before, so I was/am unsure what to expect in regards to pricing of different products there. So, you reckon I might be able to do better than $185 with the 75mm jaws? Gary's offering the price of $185 for about one, to one and a half more weeks, so I have to decide soon whether to get one through Gary Pye or hold off and hope that the prices at the show are comparable to $185 or similar.
Thanks for your advice,

Regards
Luke