PDA

View Full Version : some fire wood

jim p
21st April 2006, 06:00 AM
hay there just finished this. http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL984/3726744/7685641/140841127.jpg. http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL984/3726744/7685641/140841128.jpg

oges
21st April 2006, 08:18 AM
Well done

bitingmidge
21st April 2006, 09:04 AM
Hey Jim!

I checked out your album, and saw the picture of you.... scrolling doesn't make you happy does it?? :D :D :D

Nice stuff, although I'm curious: what do you do with it when it's finished?

Cheers,

P

oges
21st April 2006, 10:09 AM
big lobsters/crays over there too

jim p
22nd April 2006, 07:31 AM
thanks guys I make the stuff to sell and for gifts . ya big lobsters here.a big lunch don't ya think???:D

ss_11000
22nd April 2006, 01:58 PM
i'm not into horses or anything like that but i like the colours and design in that piece...well done

jim p
29th April 2006, 05:42 AM
HI guys here's the mate for the last one http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL984/3726744/7685641/142755684.jpg

keju
9th May 2006, 10:04 AM
love the horse..... think most people looking at it would..... just got to get more people to look into this thread :)
Juvy

Lin
9th May 2006, 12:15 PM
Jim, Are the Horseshoe Horses hard to do?...Was thinking about getting that pattern? Sure do liike the set you have done.
Lin

keju
9th May 2006, 05:03 PM
hmmmmm......... another pattern to do when did you say? lol
I can see you do this one tho... right up your alley
Juvy

jim p
10th May 2006, 09:36 AM
HI GUYS LIN no the pattern's are very easy to do 3or 4 hours cuting time .good for beginners.

Lin
10th May 2006, 01:28 PM
Jim, Since I generally do intarisa pattern as segmentation....would the pieces that are in the inneer part of the horseshoe itself possible to do as a relief cutting? Ya know to raise them a bit? As maybe one piece (band) instead of several?
Lin

keju
10th May 2006, 05:16 PM
looking at that pattern again Lin...... would you leave the cut out parts? Maybe just raise the head itself? Or would you leave the cut outs and move them back?
Juvy

Lin
10th May 2006, 08:56 PM
Whoops...I did not expain myself very well at all on what my brain was thinking....See all those little piece that run inside the horseshoe part itself? Looks like a band of some sort. I'm thinking just that area could be cut relief style with out cutting all those little pieces....Each relief cut would be just one piece..shaped then stained...Just one that area of the pattern. The horse itself I would do straight segmented style cutting on and layer then shape. I won't raise the entire head....It will start out 3/4". Will lower the other as needed. Some inside head would be raised.
Need pattern in front of me and need to think about it for a bit....
Lin

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th May 2006, 09:56 PM
You mean the nailing groove & holes?

keju
10th May 2006, 10:12 PM
I'm not a horse person so wouldn't have known what that "groove" was called :)
Looking at it now I think it could be cut like the celtic knot on my box... the "nails" are raised and the groove pushed back.... but you'd have to make the nail heads smaller so you'd have enough room to cut the groove in one piece..... I think.....?
Juvy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th May 2006, 10:24 PM
Nor am/do I. :rolleyes: Just trying to make sure I understood what bit Lin meant. :)

As a total newby I'd simply cut the groove shape and remove it to cut the small squares out of it, which I'd throw 'in the bin. I'd then replace what's left, slightly recessed with appropriate spacing. My reasoning being that in every horseshoe I've seen, that's not actually attached to a horse, the holes are holes. ;)

keju
10th May 2006, 10:31 PM
hmmmmmm....... seems we have a genius among us <G>
Think he's got something ther Lin, don't you?
Another thing I would have considered was maybe add "real" nails?

Juvy

jim p
11th May 2006, 09:21 AM
SKEW got it down:D

Lin
11th May 2006, 05:29 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh....now I think I'm getting it....The groove (or what I called Band) should be recessed.....(that makes sense) and the four little pieces of wood that are in the groove on each side are suppose to be the nails? And if they aren't on the horse....They wouldn't be there....But since the whole piece will be on a backer of some sort you need something there or the backer stained dark in those areas to make them seem like a hole...
Darn Skew.....You need to try one of these....You got are able to see the "big picture" without ever cutting.......
Lin

Lin
11th May 2006, 05:34 PM
Just thinking.........You could always cut the groove as one piece and drill holes to put real cut off nails in....making the groove recessed.....Would that work and the piece look real?
Lin

keju
11th May 2006, 10:18 PM
lol Lin, are you ignoring female replies ? I mentioned "recessed" and real nails?
That's ok tho... Ken ignores my remarks too. <G>

If you drill holes....... no wait... those "nails" aren't round..... aren't they square? either way... would be ok with a black background showing through?

Juvy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2006, 11:33 PM
I'm a bloke... I tend to look for the simple way out, which is not necessarily the "right" way. :o

To "hide" the backing board, I'd use a small bit in a dremel through the centre of the hole, as a marker, and then flip the piece over and use a drill bit larger than the hole to drill away the backing board. Sorta like countersinking.

keju
12th May 2006, 09:45 AM
I love the easy way out......
but...... how would you go about getting the holes square? Got an easy fix for that? :)

Juvy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th May 2006, 09:58 AM
I should've said I'd use a drill-bit larger than the square hole... I didn't mean the pilot drilled with the dremel. The idea being to remove the backing board for a mm or two all the way around the square hole, so there's no edges to see. :)

Alternatively, using a bit that just fits inside the square hole, you could use a small needle file to square the corners. No needle file? Well... you've got a scroll-saw, haven't you? ;)

Jim, now look what you've started! :D

Lin
12th May 2006, 05:18 PM
Jutta and Skew, I think my brain is now in overload...........lol
I read then I think aloud while typing and now look back and not even sure what I meant.......sooooooooo the nails that go into a horseshoe are square?....If you drill out the backer board and when the piece hangs....It is on lets say a white wall.....the nails won't look dark any more...or am I not understanding what the two of you are getting at...Wouldn't it be better to color that area of the backer dark or use the real square headed nail in the piece?
Lin

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th May 2006, 06:14 PM
Jutta and Skew, I think my brain is now in overload...........lol
I read then I think aloud while typing and now look back and not even sure what I meant.......sooooooooo the nails that go into a horseshoe are square?....If you drill out the backer board and when the piece hangs....It is on lets say a white wall.....the nails won't look dark any more...or am I not understanding what the two of you are getting at...Wouldn't it be better to color that area of the backer dark or use the real square headed nail in the piece?
Lin

Black texta on the wall? ;)

Yes, real 'shoe nails are square... and tapered, with the tip bent into a hook. (But that's irrelevant.) An actual horse-shoe hung on the wall, without nails, would show whatever colour paint through the holes anyway. What's the problem? :rolleyes::D But I think the shadow in the holes would be dark enough to appear black to a casual glance... the holes are only small after all.

jim p
12th May 2006, 10:08 PM
HI GUYS looks like fun I did't paint the backer just left it as is BB ply.:)

keju
12th May 2006, 11:02 PM
lol love the texta on the wall idea!
that's felt tip marker to you Lin.... :)
Juvy

Lin
13th May 2006, 10:06 PM
Ok...Now the interest is peaked to the max......I think I will order the patern....JGR has a deal on till the end of the month ......buy three get one free...........so I need to pick out three more of her patterns that I don't have....
You guys and gals take a look and tell me which ones float your boat..( I kinda like the flying mallards and the carosel)..Now don't go looking at those ones that are almost 100 pieces or over...cause I ain't gonna buy those....just a bit on the lazy side when it comes to keeping track of all those pieces and shaping that many....lol
Here's the link for you to browse her patterns...
Lin
http://www.intarsia.com/
ps..felt tip marker I can do....

jim p
14th May 2006, 01:16 AM
come on LIN ya gota go for it:D http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL984/3726744/7685641/104615873.jpg

jim p
14th May 2006, 01:18 AM
may be this one http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL984/3726744/7849625/123519077.jpg

Stuart
18th May 2006, 11:25 AM
Didn't even know what intarsia was until just now, and have only recently seen a thread with some eagle in progress, which is obviously also intarsia in hindsight.

Fascinating stuff - nice work, particularly the horse. Kinda like a wooden paper tole. (well only kind of!)

keju
18th May 2006, 12:42 PM
I'm probably too late to influenz you Lin, but.......
had a look and I like
the curious racoon
the penguins
the dog
noah's ark
the corner cats are great
soccerplayers
collie
basketball
gift angels - great presents!
pet angels.......really good presents

you get the idea? lol I like most of them.....

Juvy

Lin
18th May 2006, 08:52 PM
Some of the ones Jim is showing I know are way beyond me...right now anyway....but I have ordered......The corner cats was a maybe....Gotta go back and look now to see what I did order...there were just so many choices and I could only get 4........was a hard decision..
Lin

keju
19th May 2006, 01:52 PM
used to hate ordering cross stitching books.... too darn many choices. Now I have so many and I don't even stitch anymore... makes you wonder if that will happen to all the woodworking ones too?
I know I can't say no to any pattern.... always the chance someone might want it at some time. So we keep on collecting.

Can't wait to see how long it will take you to actually cut your new patterns ... well and WHAT they are :)

Juvy

Lin
19th May 2006, 08:58 PM
Juvy,I got a light house pattern to do for my sister (the easiest one)....Wishing I could get it done for x-mas this year but unless the orders back down some it won't happen this year....also got the horseshoes and a carosel....I personally like carosels so that is why I bought that one...when it willl get cut.........now that is another story entirely....lol
Fourth one ended up being the standing white tailed buck....lots of deer hunters in Michigan....Thinking maybe it might be one someone would want someday...I'm bad about collecting patterns that never seem to get anywhere but in my archives...but I always have them...just like all the crocheting patterns....so if I ever have the need............ya know what I mean.
Lin

TK1
19th May 2006, 09:35 PM
Hi,

Some great work - nothing not to like!

I noticed the CD reack in your first album. Would make a great present for a friend of mine if i could do it...did you buy the pattern, or is it your own design? IF a pattern, can you enlighten me to the source.

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Regards,
Darren

jim p
19th May 2006, 09:50 PM
the cd rack came from a scrollsaw mag but was done by Dirk Bowman www.theartfactory.com (http://www.theartfactory.com)

keju
19th May 2006, 10:28 PM
awww Lin... do the carousel first!! Sounds like fun. One of the guys is making one with 16 horses that are actually going up and down ... I found it in an old book but knew I wasn't going to make it... wayyyy too involved.
This is horse country, anything horse is a winner.

Haven't seen anyone doing things with deer or lighthouses around here tho. guess that's not really suprising tho.

Don't forget to keep those pics coming :)
Juvy

TK1
19th May 2006, 11:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks Jim, I've bookmarked the site for when I get time to make it.

Regards,
Darren