PDA

View Full Version : Turning up new

PAC
15th May 2002, 12:51 PM
I am new to this wood turning area and am seeking good web sites that explain what and how to use tools, speeds for different timbers, safety aspects etc.
Is there anywhere in cyberspace that deals with these questions or is the library my only hope?

Steve

Tim the Timber Turner
15th May 2002, 02:17 PM
Hi Steve
Welcome to the wonderful world of woodturning. I hope it gives you as many years of pleasure as it's given me.

With regards to tool use I belive it is books and vidieo ect are not much use in learning tool skills. They may show you what to do, but if that dosn't work, they don't show you what to do next. What I would suggest you need to do, is to invest in a course (maximim 2 students) with a recognised Instructor. He will stand with you at the lathe and provide the corrections for you to learn from.
He will also show you what equipment you need to purchase.

More importantly than this you need to learn to sharpen the tools. This takes as much if not more experience than using the tools. I spent 2 years with my first teacher, a very experienced trade turner. But he never taught me to sharpen. When I was shown by another turner, my toolskills improved dramaticaly.

Good Luck.

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

Bruce Bell
16th May 2002, 08:25 PM
Hi Steve,
I agree with Tim lots of people buy a lathe and tools both good and bad and have no idea of how to sharpen the tools or to get the best out of their lathe. My feelings are one shouldbuy a lathe that one can grow into that way you will always be able to meet the challenges this fascinating and wonderful craft enables one to do.

Spend the time and money on lessons from some one who knows what they are doing and can get the message across to you who should be prepared to learn as well.

It is best to be serious about your turning than just half baked.

After thirty years I still enjoy the thrill of making the chips fly.

Good lUck and all the best. BB..

I now have two videos out one on basics and one on bowls with two more on the way.

BB

abungate
28th May 2002, 12:40 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this also. I have found the best resource (so far) is a book by Richard Raffan. He's an Aussie turner who seems to really explain things well. The one on techniqe "Turning wood with Richard Raffan" is a beauty. I have 3 books by him in total.

Short of an instructor (which can be expensive), this would be your best option. Its really cheap if you read it in the bookstore (I recomend Borders for that).

But stick with it - it gets fun.

Andrew

John Saxton
29th May 2002, 07:34 PM
Second those sentiments Stoppers.

------------------
Johnno

Don Nethercott
31st May 2002, 10:08 PM
I started my woodturning by doing a Community Education Course (these courses go under various names in different parts of Australia). The course was 3 hours a week for 10 weeks with 1 instructor and 6 students. It was run in a local college (high school in some areas). It was a very good introduction as we went through all the processes, even though only briefly, from bare wood to finished poloshed product. As well the instructor bought in various books and videos to borrow. Having other students there was also good as we could learn from others mistakes - or hear answers to questions others asked that I was too embarassed to ask.

However once I have developed the skills learnt there I will definately try one of those 1 on 1 courses. Maybe that is a question someone would like to answer - who runs very good 1 on 1 courses? By good I mean an instructor who is skillful enough to explain to the student exactly what to do, instead of doing it for the student and expecting the student to work out what is haooening.

Don Nethercott
31st May 2002, 11:39 PM
There are lots of web sites showing finished products - these are useful for getting ideas for your own work (but don't copy - that's a no no).

The following 2 sites give some "how to" info.
http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/site/articles/articles.html
http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/wtintro/wtintro.html

These are sites I have seen, but I am not in any position to recommend them - the info presented in these sites isjust the ideas of the authors - some people will agree, others may disagree with the ideas.

Remember - these sites and similar are no substitute for hands on experience with a pro.

Don