PDA

View Full Version : Knurling Tool ?

reeves
23rd April 2006, 08:07 AM
HI, i am thinking or making/getting a knurling tool for my turnings.
mainly to add a grippable bit to small boxes and drop spindles..

i mean the general knurling pattern that appears on lots of metal work items..
i recall doing it at high school and the metal lathe turned very slow to enable indentation from the tool.

does anyone here use knurling tool at all on turned wood..? or has any experience with using some kind of texturing to give hand used objects extra grip ?

thanks
john

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd April 2006, 06:07 PM
Sorby has a texturing/spiralling tool that comes with several different wheels. It could be used as a knurling tool, with the appropriate tip and cutting angle... but I don't have one as I can't justify the price. :rolleyes: The success of this sort of thing also depends on the timber... it's best used on hardwoods as softwoods tend to tear and crumble.

I've always found that with timber there's no real need for textured grips, a roughened and/or waxed surface will usually do. 180 grit does the job. ;)

If you wanna cut "diamond" patterns, I'd suggest you try a Dremel and small cutting wheel.

bitingmidge
23rd April 2006, 06:28 PM
I get a pretty good knurled effect every time I try to finish with a skew chisel.
P
:p :p :p

TTIT
23rd April 2006, 11:47 PM
Reeves - if you're thinking about the knurling on gunstocks and the like, I think it's done with an embossing stamp as used in leatherwork. Would be interesting to see if a knurling tool would work on wood but they need quite a bit of pressure to work on even soft metals ??? hard wood !!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Wood worrier
24th April 2006, 03:39 AM
HI, i am thinking or making/getting a knurling tool for my turnings.
mainly to add a grippable bit to small boxes and drop spindles..

i mean the general knurling pattern that appears on lots of metal work items..
i recall doing it at high school and the metal lathe turned very slow to enable indentation from the tool.

does anyone here use knurling tool at all on turned wood..? or has any experience with using some kind of texturing to give hand used objects extra grip ?

thanks
johnAs mentioned you can use the Sorby spiral tool which works very well on dense timbers and can, with practice, achieve an excellent knurled (gunstock) effect. I was lucky enough to get one as a gift, otherwise, as mentioned before Sorby tools can be expensive (presumably more so outside of the UK).

BrettP
25th April 2006, 11:27 PM
I have used a metal working knurling tool to do hardwood with good results. Make a handle, hold it steady and apply preasure to get the required depth. Repeat to do the next section and so on. It looks good if you have knurled section then leave a gap the width of the tool and do it again. Knurling every second bit so to speak.

reeves
26th April 2006, 08:03 AM
hey thanks all for your comments. useful stuff.

Ye si have avoided purchase of Sorby tool or similar due to cost...

BrettP thanks for that suggestion, i will try and get hold of a metalwork tool..

have u use dit on straight or solid woods or turnings via lathe..or after lathe...?

cheeeeeeeers
john

lyctus
26th April 2006, 01:16 PM
C/T in Balcatta stock a lot of metal lathes and mills and i have seen a knurling tool in their cabinets with this stuff. Should work fine on hardwoods I would think.

DanP
26th April 2006, 01:49 PM
Hare & Forbes should have them.

Gil Jones
5th May 2006, 02:13 PM
http://www.turnwood.net/Photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2339&sort=1&cat=500&page=1