PDA

View Full Version : Glue for Closed Cell Foam to Timber

Doc Carver
24th April 2006, 02:51 PM
I am making a box to carry my firearms to the shooting range. I am gluing 3mm closed cell foam lined with wool felt to the interior of the box. I used Fuller spray contact adhesive to glue the felt to the foam and that worked well. I have used Kwik Grip contact adhesive to glue the foam to the timber. The problem is the foam has expanded from the contact adhesive and made it a nightmare to fit in the box. Has anyone used or could recommend another glue that works with closed cell foam to timber. Would crossed linked PVA work with foam? I look forward to hearing from you.

bitingmidge
24th April 2006, 03:08 PM
Doc,

I don't quite understand the problem, but as long as you have a good surface contact, PVA should be fine, failing that good old construction adhesive "liquid nails" will fix it.

Contact works best with a thin coating on both bits, then left to touch dry. Don't try to move it though, you have to be deadly accurate putting it down!

The carpet lining on our Recording Booth was glued in with PVA with no problems, and I used construction adhesive on the open cell acoustic foam, all on a bigger scale of course, but it all stayed in place for the first week at least!

cheers,

P

Sprog
24th April 2006, 07:28 PM
Weldbond will glue foam to timber.
Available from Bunnings as well as other places.

http://www.weldbondusa.com/

doug the slug
24th April 2006, 07:46 PM
Remember that a glue joint is only as strong as the weakest part. you will find that most glues will be stronger than the foam, so weldbond, pva, liquid nails or a score of others should be fine. the critical thing then becomes the effect teh glue has on the foam. test your chosen glue on a piece of scrap foam first, and remember that its the glue that has the least detrimental effect on the foam that will be the most useful as all the glues will be stronger than the foam

Harry72
24th April 2006, 10:41 PM
3M contact spray, wont eat foam... bit ex$pen$ive tho

soundman
25th April 2006, 12:29 AM
Foam does often expand when overloaded with solvent based glues.
getting a thinner coating is the go and making sure the glue tacks off a bit before assembly.
the spray glue you used to glue the felt to the foam should be fine just dont get heavy handed.

I fit foam to equipment cases using cabinet makers spray glue all the time.
It will cause some foams to expand if you are heavy handed.

fear not the foam will probably shrink back after the solvent is gone.
Just whizz over the existing glue on both parts with the spray & all should be well.

Whel laying up the foam pay attention to all the edges first if you can rather than working from one side to the other.

foam & carpet are funny because they are not dimensionaly stable by them selves so you have to work them into place then press them down.
remember they stretch and compress.
If you can get the edges to fit the middle will usualy follow with little argument.

cheers

fletty
25th April 2006, 09:08 PM
Doc (and others) this reply is of absolutely no use to you but ....
many years ago I was making fitted mounts for my cameras in a briefcase, I can't remember why now but it would be politically incorrect in todays terrorism environment, any way, I acquired some sheets of rigid packing foam, very carefully cut them to size and all of the intricate cut outs, dry assembled the whole lot, laid the cameras in, and stood back to admire my work, it looked fabulous!
I retired to the laundry, laid the individual sheets out and carefully coated all of the necessary faces with contact cement and set them aside to dry before pressing them together. I came back in 30 minutes and they were gone, I searched, I accused, I searched some more and then, for the first time I THOUGHT!
Yup, the contact cement completely dissolved my beautiful work leaving not even a sticky residue on the washing machine!
Although I am a man of humour AND humility, this episode is never mentioned in family circles!
Fletty

Doc Carver
25th April 2006, 11:19 PM
Thankyou very much for all the advice. I used AV 275 and it worked like a dream. The contact adhesive left no margin for error whereas the AV 275 allowed for the foam to be moved around. This project has gone well. I hope to be finished this weekend and I will post some photos on the net. This is a great site. I really appreciate the help given by everybody.