PDA

View Full Version : Dodgie drill press

TTIT
25th April 2006, 12:54 AM
Question: Is it unreasonable to expect the table of a drill press to sit at 90 degrees to the drill shaft???? :confused::confused::confused:
I just bought a 16 speed bench drill in Brisbane from Tradetools Direct, got it home to Emerald and assembled it only to discover the table sits at 89 degrees to the shaft.:(:(:mad: Apart from capacity, the main reason I bought it was to get rid of my old 'out of square' drill - good move eh!. Checked everything out and the cause of the error is the machining of the elevator assembly and extension arm. Contacted the vendor to try and get a replacement assembly and was told that it was "within manufacturers specifications" :eek::eek::eek: - and the shop demo model is apparently just as bad. They can't be serious - can they???:confused::confused::confused: Does anyone know where I stand legally or am I stuck with it????:mad::mad::mad:

Thought I was being clever! The press is exactly the same as the Carbatec offering, just painted a different color, for a $100 less. Wish I had paid the extra and stuck with Carbatec.

woodbe
25th April 2006, 01:17 AM
Take it back... :)

Waldo
25th April 2006, 01:49 AM
G'day TITT,

Makes you hot under the collar when you buy some gear from somewhere and it's out of whack and you get what is becoming the norm nowadays with the, "it's within manufacturers specifications".

Feel for you.

tonysa
25th April 2006, 01:51 AM
that's a pretty deplorable bit of machining
i agree, i'd be trying to get a refund, obviously not fit for the purpose it was intended

Buzzer
25th April 2006, 07:13 AM
I agree with tonysa,
Good Luck,
Buzzer

Munga
25th April 2006, 08:07 AM
Feel for ya mate, stick with the complaining and tell em to log on and see the adverse advertising their getting, years ago in S.A I had a similar problem and the company wouldn't replace so I put it in a trailor with signs pointing to the faults and saying where I bought it and towed it around everywhere I went (was a fencing contractor at that time) to alot of building sites, all of a sudden the company noticed the faults and replaced it. Kind of them. This may be difficult for you up there but threaten them with it and see where it goes.

Arch.

Bodgy
25th April 2006, 08:31 AM
:mad::mad::mad:

Thought I was being clever! The press is exactly the same as the Carbatec offering, just painted a different color, for a $100 less. Wish I had paid the extra and stuck with Carbatec.

Why? The Carbetec one would be 1 degree out too.

If goods are not suitable for the purpose they are designed for then refunds have to be given. TT seem like a bunch of decent guys.

To save yourself a trip, are you sure you can't shim out the error?

KevM
25th April 2006, 08:43 AM
Look under the table at the point where the table rotates on the bolt, under this you will find an Allen key grub screw, use this to adjust the table and you will find that you will get your table square to your chuck.

Don't ask me how I know this, but do not adjust this grub screw without first loosening the holding bolt, the whole plate will crack.

Kev M

zathras
25th April 2006, 10:04 AM
Look under the table at the point where the table rotates on the bolt, under this you will find an Allen key grub screw, use this to adjust the table and you will find that you will get your table square to your chuck.

Don't ask me how I know this, but do not adjust this grub screw without first loosening the holding bolt, the whole plate will crack.

Kev M

I was led to believe they are made that way for the express purpose of using the grub screw to bring them into alignment.

Rough, yes, but otherwise why would they happen to put the grubscrew just where it is required???

TTIT
25th April 2006, 12:39 PM
KevM and Zathras - I thought the grubscrew was just for locking the swivel in place. Tilting the table up with the screw will negate the bearing surface of the swivel and leave the whole assembly unstable but I may have no choice. At about 50kgs, I can't afford to ship it back to them if they can turn around and claim it is fit for the intended purpose:( .

Maybe if I put grubscrews at about 4 and 8 o'clock instead of the one at 6 o'clock, that will give 3 bearing points for some stability at least.

Munga - like the idea but it wouldn't worry them way out here - all their outlets are in the southeast corner and it sounds like they might be within their rights anyway. Sucks:mad:

old_picker
25th April 2006, 05:16 PM
G'day TITT,

Makes you hot under the collar when you buy some gear from somewhere and it's out of whack and you get what is becoming the norm nowadays with the, "it's within manufacturers specifications".

Feel for you.

Best way to buy is to find out what the manufacturers spec is when you buy or specify that the machine "in this case drill press" confirm to a spec ie: drill must sit 90deg to table or be easily adjustable to that spec. If machine doesnt confirm it will be returned at their cost. You will quickly find which machine is the right one. A retailer won't recomend a machine he is likely to get back. Most average blokes buying a machine at a low price point wouldn't know or care about 1 degree out. If you let the sales guy know you are anal before you buy you will get a better, albeit more expensive machine. I bought a cheap drill press from total tools [$299] and it sits perfect but its noisy and there is a little runout which i can live with. The drill I really liked at waugh's in bayswater was over a thousand bucks. A precision toolmakers drill and prolly overkill for woodworking.

Bob38S
25th April 2006, 05:54 PM
Question: Is it unreasonable to expect the table of a drill press to sit at 90 degrees to the drill shaft???? :confused::confused::confused:

Not unreasonable at all.

Contacted the vendor to try and get a replacement assembly and was told that it was "within manufacturers specifications" :eek::eek::eek: - and the shop demo model is apparently just as bad. They can't be serious - can they???:confused::confused::confused: Does anyone know where I stand legally or am I stuck with it????:mad::mad::mad:

If Trade Tools are stating that it is within manufacturer's specification - then obviously they must have the specs - otherwise how could they say this - ask for a copy to be sent "" to your local solicitor"" as the product you have purchased is not performing in a manner which could be expected.
Let's face it - I'm sure lots of people are going to purchase a drill press just so that they can drill holes at 89 degrees - Yeah right - and the tooth fairy will visit you soon.
Make a noise, show them the forum, tell your friends.
Bob

BobL
26th April 2006, 12:25 AM
Couple of comments.

Based on your Photo I measured an angle of 89.2 degrees between table and chuck. What happens when you rotate the table? Is it the same at other positions?

It may be just an artefact of the photo but there also appears to be another problem and that is the chuck is not parallel to the major support post. When I measure that angle I get 89.5 degrees. This means your work relative to the post is 1.2 degrees out. This may only be a problem if you use the same locked down jig at different table heights.

TTIT
27th April 2006, 11:42 PM
Couple of comments.

Based on your Photo I measured an angle of 89.2 degrees between table and chuck. What happens when you rotate the table? Is it the same at other positions?

It may be just an artefact of the photo but there also appears to be another problem and that is the chuck is not parallel to the major support post. When I measure that angle I get 89.5 degrees. This means your work relative to the post is 1.2 degrees out. This may only be a problem if you use the same locked down jig at different table heights.
BobL - must be just the photo - surprisingly, the drill shaft is actually parallel to the pillar.

Ended up going with the 2 extra grubscrews which actually worked out OK. Weakens that point a little but I never use the table for an anvil so it should be fine. Definitely won't be dealing with Tradetools again, simply because of the way they shrugged it off. The '600 years of experience' their ads spruke about didn't even think to suggest using the grubscrew to adjust it.

Andy Mac
27th April 2006, 11:59 PM
Maybe if I put grubscrews at about 4 and 8 o'clock instead of the one at 6 o'clock, that will give 3 bearing points for some stability at least.:mad:
Thats exactly what I did recently (to correct alignment after someone broke the cast arm and welded it crooked). Its rough, it works in one position, but won't allow for any tilt of the table.
As its new, I'd push hard for a replacement or money back if they can't supply a good one.
Good luck!