PDA

View Full Version : mc1100/900 head stock wobbles

hughie
26th April 2006, 01:34 PM
Hi,
I have been having an annoying problem with headstock wobbling. Which is the result of p.poor Eng. work. I know, I know. I shoulda bought a local built lathe, but Parliament was closed for the summer:D :D

So came up with this idea and it seems to work just fine. I drilled and tapped the the bed to accept 4 3/8x1 1/2 whit grub screws. The small additional holes are the result of porous casting and having to move the holes around - note the broken drill. The third hole [5/16"] is just in case I needed to grip the sliding block. I don't think in hindsight that its necessary.I used this size cos I had em on hand but 5/16 or m8 would do, even set screws or bolts will do fine.
These are to catch the two lugs on the headstock and lock them in one position. To line up the headstock, all you need to do is put a centre in it and bring the tail stock to it, easy.
I don't do much of any spindle work, so moving the headstock up and down is not an issue. If I have to, I have marked the bed for ease of relocation.
The blank is about 15kgs of green Camphor Laurel and out of balance. It spun the blank with no wobble at about1500 RPM. This would have been death wish stuff prior to this little mod.
We won't talk about the flexible stand..... :eek:
hughie

reeves
27th April 2006, 08:54 AM
hey nice funky work there hughie....yes my MC900 tends to da wobbles with larger/heavier chunks attached..15 kgs is probably the max without extra stability.

At 1500 mate thats gone shake the pants of that thing....i have found that truing the big chunks sideways with a roughing gouge at around 7-800 rpm helps until u get a nice tenon...then u cna speed it up...;-)

these r just smaller low cost lathes and aint gonna chunk it like the big stuff...ncie solution tho i may look into adapting it if u dont mind..

thanks
john

hughie
27th April 2006, 01:52 PM
Reeves,

No worries let me know how it turns out on your.

Yeah I thought there would be a few of us out there that have 'el cheapo' lathes.Its not rocket science but it does over come the problem
I have been doing mods on it for about 6 months addressing the things that annoy me the most. It will never be a ''good lathe'' as compared with Vicmark or Teknatool etc. But if I can get some of the worst aspects ironed out it will give me time to look around for a better one.
What I find now is the stand is way too flexible and it now :( wobbles.....bugger! :D Although I have got about 100kgs in the tray
I can weld some extra bracing or build a new wooden stand, dunno I have not decided. May well leave for the moment till it irritates me into action, as I am building a new turning bench and blank rack.

hughie

CameronPotter
27th April 2006, 02:33 PM
My mc-900 looks nothing like that... :confused:

I read through what you were saying, but none of it made much sense to me, then I looked at the pics and mine is very different from yours...

Hmmm.

TTIT
27th April 2006, 03:26 PM
My mc-900 looks nothing like that... :confused:

I read through what you were saying, but none of it made much sense to me, then I looked at the pics and mine is very different from yours...

Hmmm.

Cam - the 1100 headstock slides along the single piece bed giving it the extra 200mm between centres. Other than that the machines are identical.

CameronPotter
27th April 2006, 03:59 PM
Ahhh. I see.

Mine is fixed and so all of the talk about stabilising the headstock didn't make much sense to me.

Cheers

Cam