PDA

View Full Version : Belt sander safety

mic-d
6th May 2006, 05:10 PM
In the tradition of safety warnings such as do not iron clothes whilst wearing them and do not use heat gun to dry hair comes - do not press trigger while palm is resting on belt of sander. Especially with 40 grit fitted... nuff said really...:eek:

Cheers
Michael

journeyman Mick
6th May 2006, 06:18 PM
Ouch!:(
ya silly bugga!:p

Mick
PS hope all is well;)

Ianab
6th May 2006, 06:25 PM
On a similar line, we have just installed some nice new electronic time clocks at a local timber company. The clocks have fingerprint readers so the guys just put their thumb on the reader to clock in / out. Works well, except for the guy that runs the big belt sander... he has NO fingerprints :eek:
We had to give him an old style swipe card :rolleyes:

If he ever wanted to be a burgler the cops would have a hard time tracking him down :)

Ian

jow104
6th May 2006, 06:26 PM
I had an accident on my belt sander a few months ago, so I know the feeling.

Ever since I have been looking out for those small suction cups (that come on kids toys (arrows) . My idea is that the suction cup can grip the timber that is being held on the stationary type belt, because a snatch can otherwise drag your holding fingers on to a moving belt and even worse could drag it on to the fence and then try to pull it through.

Enough said:eek:

mic-d
6th May 2006, 07:28 PM
Ouch!:(
ya silly bugga!:p

Mick
PS hope all is well;)
Not much damage. Had a brain explosion, I don't know why I had my hand on the belt and I don't know why I pressed the trigger. It pinched a roll of skin down between the body and the rear roller, but lucky was not up to full speed. Bit of bark missing off my palm.

Cheers
Michael

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th May 2006, 07:47 PM
My sympathies!

I know how it goes; not having an assembly bench I do a lot of my heavier work on the floor. Same sort of thing: big'n'heavy old belt-sander resting on thigh, starts to slip, tighten hand to hold it.... big hole appears in jeans, flap of denim caught between belt & roller, angry welt on remaining skin. :o

ss_11000
7th May 2006, 04:17 PM
safety tip noted:D

BobL
7th May 2006, 09:48 PM
Anyone ever try removing caloused heels using a belt sander?
It works quite well but 40 grit works a bit fast. I use a used 120 grit belt, put the sander on the floor upside down, turn it on and roll my heel over the rotating belt. Suggest you don't do it while small children are watching.

Oh yeah, fogot to add, if you use the white Alox belts, you know when to stop when they turn pink!

woodbe
7th May 2006, 10:11 PM
Yikes!

Best I can offer is my efforts at 'helping' my wife with toe manicures while she was recovering from a broken arm. She seemed to be having problems with one of the little pinkies growing a very thick toenail that I couldn't cut with the scissors.

You should have seen the look on her face when I did some shaping on the toenail with a big file from the workshop! Did the job brilliantly though. I offerred to go and explain the process to the podiatrist, but I was very firmly told 'No!' :D :D

mic-d
7th May 2006, 10:19 PM
Now you're all just getting a bit gross! Reminds me of a scene in Worlds fastest Indian tho'

Cheers
Michael

Bluegum
8th May 2006, 12:44 PM
This reminds of the time I bought my ROS. I was runninig it up in the shed and a little piece of sand paper flicked off and hit me in the eye. I stupidly went to rub my eyes and my hand and sander collided. I had blood flying from the 40 grit hitting skin, wife laughing at me until she saw blood. A lesson well learned that day.

Carry Pine
8th May 2006, 09:24 PM
In the tradition of safety warnings such as do not iron clothes whilst wearing them and do not use heat gun to dry hair comes - do not press trigger while palm is resting on belt of sander. Especially with 40 grit fitted... nuff said really...:eek:

Cheers
Michael

Michael,

I admire your honesty and your willingness to share your mistake with us. I find it really worrying, however, that given the experience that we have, each day we can read on this thread about someone who has made an almost life (or limb) threatening error. Cutting through drop-saw cords, falling off ladders etc etc... are there going to be any members left in 2010? and will they have the fingers to type with?
With the availability of even more powerful and financially accessible machinery, I hope and pray that we are not going to see a resurgence in 'industrial' accidents in the home workshop.
Take care, Michael.

Carry Pine

Bob38S
9th May 2006, 11:43 AM
Having seen a beltsander behaving similar to a dragster - [owner had turned on and locked the trigger before turning on the power] - and being reluctant to place the tools on the pads - I use this
www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=239128#post239128 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=239128#post239128)

The added advantage is being able to pick up or put down the beltsander with only one hand.
Regards,
Bob :D:D