PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc 120 Chuck

Auzzie turner
8th May 2006, 06:09 PM
I have had a vicmarc 120 chuck for quite a while now;) , and I was just wondering what other people think of it. All in all, I think it is one of the most fabulous pieces of engineering of this century:cool: . If you are thinking of buying a chuck for your lathe, well the 120 is the way to go. It is excellent value for money (hey:) if I can afford it when I'm 14 why can't you?)Thanks to GAITEP @ carbatech (amusement park):D who was the salesman.-best deal I've made there.

Anyway thanks for the lovely chat,

Regards........Auzzie woodturner:D

Jim Carroll
8th May 2006, 06:27 PM
What sort of lathe are you puting it on as it is a very heavy chuck and not really suited to the cheaper chinese lathes.

Farnk
8th May 2006, 09:16 PM
I'm a big fan of my vicmarc VM100 chuck. I've had great success with it on the GMC, even with a couple of bowls up to 30 odd cm in diameter.

Now that I've upgraded to a Leda, I'm off to carbatec to get a new insert!

Auzzie turner
8th May 2006, 10:47 PM
Hi all how are you going?
just got home from the beach fishing.
I have a MC900 Lathe from Carbatech, I can't stand any cheaper made tools,:mad: except for GMC, because you get a 2 year replacement warranty.
The 120 can handle enourmous bowls,;) because I'm only 14,:cool: I like to expirement, and push things to their limits. On my 120, I have turned platters in escess of 700 millimeters:eek:.

Thanks for the extra posts on this thread,

Regards.....Auzzie turner

ss_11000
8th May 2006, 11:37 PM
(hey:) if I can afford it when I'm 14 why can't you?):D

cos i gots to buy other tools:p after i get out of dept:o :(

dazzler
8th May 2006, 11:59 PM
I like to expirement, and push things to their limits. :eek:.

Regards.....Auzzie turner

Time to go and get a nice big Hayabusa 1300:D

hooppine
9th May 2006, 02:57 PM
The Super Nova is equally as good and has got a lot more appealing now the NZ dollar has reached $1.228 Aus Dollars. The prices have fallen nicely and I hope to see the difference at the wood show where I hope to invest my latest ill gotten gains on a new one with the 75mm jaws.
:D :) :) :) :) :D

Tornatus
10th May 2006, 12:41 AM
I have a MC900 Lathe from Carbatech....The 120 can handle enourmous bowls,;) because I'm only 14,:cool: I like to expirement, and push things to their limits. On my 120, I have turned platters in escess of 700 millimeters.
I don't want you to think I am trying to discourage a young turner, but I strongly suggest you should reconsider using a VM120 on an MC900 lathe, especially for the long term. As Jim Carroll has pointed out, it's a very heavy chuck for what is a lightweight lathe by Vicmarc standards.

I have an MC900 myself, and recently had the opportunity to acquire a VM120 at a very good price, to complement the VM100 I began with. Fortunately, the offer was on a "try before you buy" basis, as I very quickly realised that it was far too heavy for the MC900 - not just because of the relatively low power of the motor, but more importantly because it was obviously placing serious strain on the headstock bearings and other parts of the drive mechanism. You may be getting good results in the short term, but you should consider the long-term potential for serious damage to your lathe.

The MC900 is far happier with the VM100 fitted, and that chuck will handle pretty hefty blanks. I accept that you want to experiment, but don't be in too much of a rush to get into the "big and brave" category - it would be much better to spend some time developing your skills on more modest projects, and saving some money, so that you can step up to a larger, stronger and more powerful lathe, with larger chucks, when you are better prepared for the bigger challenges.

Yeah, I know, I'm just another old fart pushing unwanted advice onto a young bloke who just wants to do his own thing. But have you ever heard the story of the Young Bull and the Old Bull? I'm sure one of the old blokes around you will be able to tell it to you ...;)

rsser
10th May 2006, 02:27 PM
The Nova Titan is worth considering as an alternative - if your lathe is robust enough. Key advantage is backward compatibility of jaws exc. the big Powergrips.

ptc
10th May 2006, 06:34 PM
I use a Bonham.

TimberNut
11th May 2006, 12:43 PM
Auzzie,

the 120s an awesome chuck. i have a couple myself (and of course, i need more!)

that said, i do have a large vicmarc lathe to run them on.

but don't let the guys worry you. when you wear out the lathe (and you will) or if you don't wear it out, if you are the experimenting type (my kinda guy!) then you'll outgrow it. you'll be wanting to do things the lathe can't cope with, but the chuck will still be worth every penny you spent.

so then you have a good excuse to buy a bigger lathe better suited to a large chuck like that!

look after it, it's a good bit of gear.

Pharaoh_25
13th May 2006, 08:20 PM
I'm with you Auzzie, Vicmarc are great chucks. I've got the 120 & the 100.

clubbyr8
20th May 2006, 05:49 PM
I agree, I have a Vicmarc VM100 and a VM120 and a Supernova 2 (came with lathe) and my DVR has no problem with them.