PDA

View Full Version : Fixed a mistake...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th May 2006, 03:36 PM
The final incarnation of a goblet I broke when turning. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=303095&postcount=20) I'd planned to turn a base for it, but in the wee hours of this morning inspiration struck and this is the result.

The lighter wood is pittosperum, the darker is redgum. The lid was the base, which made for some... interesting problems in conversion. All in all, I'm fairly happy with the final result. :)

CameronPotter
9th May 2006, 03:46 PM
Bugger off Skew! You are just showing the rest of us (me) up now!! ;)

REALLY nice save.

I'll send a greenie if I can. :D

Cam

ss_11000
9th May 2006, 04:40 PM
excellent work, great save.....

Jim Carroll
9th May 2006, 05:52 PM
Good one Andy

Tiger
9th May 2006, 06:00 PM
Gee.. I wish I hadn't thrown away all those failures now.

Nice work.

Auld Bassoon
9th May 2006, 06:19 PM
Aha! The mark of a true artisan and craftsman - knowing how to disguise a stuff up (err, "feature"). Well done mate!

rsser
9th May 2006, 08:46 PM
Hehe,

Yep, neat work!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th May 2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks fellas.

Slowly, slowly I'm improving. Well... learning more tricks to succesful cover ups anyway. :)

rsser
9th May 2006, 09:13 PM
I cut through the bottom of a silky oak platter while hollowing the inside. Nice pale piece with a line I liked. Poop.

So I turned a bit of redgum as a foot and fitted it to an enlarged hole in the platter.

Honour was satisfied. But the redgum shrunk and the fit ended up looking sh*thouse.

Any case, nothing in your league Skew.

Groggy
9th May 2006, 09:18 PM
The final incarnation of a goblet I broke when turning. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=303095&postcount=20) I'd planned to turn a base for it, but in the wee hours of this morning inspiration struck and this is the result.

The lighter wood is pittosperum, the darker is redgum. The lid was the base, which made for some... interesting problems in conversion. All in all, I'm fairly happy with the final result. :)Nice use of three-ply Skew :p

Seriously, good idea and nice recovery.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th May 2006, 09:37 PM
Any case, nothing in your league Skew.

I wouldn't say that, Ern. Lately everything I've made has been SNAFU.

I was just lucky enough to have one turn out nicely, although nothing like it was meant to be. But then again, nothing I turn really turns out as originally concieved. :rolleyes:

Gil Jones
10th May 2006, 01:17 AM
That is a fine looking piece!!

Caveman
10th May 2006, 02:24 AM
Hey Skew - Great idea - just goes to show a little lateral thinking can usually save the day.
Not sure what SNAFU means but think I have a pretty good idea:) .
Will make me think twice before discarding a piece when I next make one of them SNAFU's

tonysa
10th May 2006, 02:35 AM
nice recovery ! very good indeed .

Hickory
10th May 2006, 03:17 AM
By Golly, I think I like it.... Mind if I ..... Too late, done saved a picture in my 2Do file .... :cool:

Lance Stunning
10th May 2006, 03:19 AM
Excellent solution! Good way to make good use of a "design opportunity".

TTIT
10th May 2006, 08:57 AM
Now you're talkin' Skew!:D . Why stuff around with goblets when you can go for pieces like that straight up.:D :D

Toasty
10th May 2006, 11:10 AM
Fantastic save, that looks great. Was forced to think for a moment when I turned this camphor laurel bowl, undercut the lip too much while hollowing and didn't leave enough meat to get rid of the faceplate mounting holes. So I just made some more holes with a drill and threaded some leather through it. No where near as good as your save though!!!
http://roadstarmagazine.com/woodturning/camphorleatherbowl-001.jpg

Dendot
10th May 2006, 01:16 PM
Sorry I haven't got a picture of this as I gave it away, but some time ago, I was making a chess set, and turning the king, I stuffed up the top, so I decided it was still big enough for a bishop- Yep! I stuffed it, so I decided to make it a pawn. When I managed to put a cut in the top, I hollowed it out and made it into a tiny goblet. It looked so good, I made three more and a pitcher type jug, all on a tray, in lemon wood. The whole thing was about two inches across. My daughter loves miniatures so I gave it to her.
Never say die, that's my motto!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th September 2007, 10:34 PM
Just rediscovered this post, dunno why I didn't reply way back when... :-

I like your idea of the leather thong, Toasty, although I reckon more holes between the existing ones would've looked better. Just my personal opinion, of course. :shrug: Out of curiosity, what's that inside the bowl?

A potpourri lid? Sand and a few shavings?

Looks different, whatever it is...

hughie
30th September 2007, 10:56 PM
Just rediscovered this post, dunno why I didn't reply way back when

Dont feel too bad, I missed the whole darn post :? :no: ?????

Either way darn nice save. In fact it looks like it never was, but intentional. :2tsup:

joe greiner
1st October 2007, 02:11 AM
All before I joined, and nice to catch it on the update. Brilliant save, Skew. I've been forced to look for "design features" too. On my second bowl, IIRC, I forgot about waste blocks and mounted directly on the face plate with insufficient material left. Had to turn four tiny feet to plug the screw holes. Didn't realize the stuffup until I started nicking the screw tips with the chisel.

Joe