PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane T&WWW Show Results

dai sensei
13th May 2006, 09:48 PM
Well I had a ball today:) . Met up with a heap of forum members and the Ubeaut team:cool: . Plenty of good food and good company, although some of the regulars were missing:( . A lot of the same old stuff with a few good specials. Lots of lovely wood to drool at:rolleyes: .

My birthday corresponds with the show and my mother, bless her heart, increased my bank account to assist:D . Probably bought too much, as usual, but it only comes once a year.

My bag of just under $840 :eek: included:

Scroll saw (secondhand from B/Midge)
XY vise (Carbatec)
Dremel plunger, Picture framing kit, Paint kit (misc stalls)
Blue grinding wheel & 2 Hamlet bowl gauges (GPW)
Wasp & Blowfly sanders & 2 Magnetic base lights (Timbercon)
Bible of polishing & finishes (thanks UBeaut)

What did you others get?

echnidna
13th May 2006, 09:56 PM
Good haul Neil, btw happy birthday :)

Awright you other banana benders,

Wot other goodies are available this year? :D

I wanna do a shopping list,
I'll show swmbo what an expedition is really like. :eek:

ele__13
13th May 2006, 10:23 PM
Happy Birffy Mr Neil hope u had a wonderful day as i did wiff the girls
show was brilliant .... and came home wif lots of toys ... cheers all jules

ps was gr8 to see everyone from the forum

Toolin Around
13th May 2006, 10:28 PM
I didn't go hog wild. Only bought some Coolibah burr and Mulga. I was a bit disapointed because I was hoping to load up on exotic woods such as African Blackwood, ebony... but there was none to be had.

Bluegum
14th May 2006, 07:15 AM
I'm there today to see what's around and if any last minute bargains can be had. Taking the father in law to try and find him a new hobby since he retired.

dan_tom
14th May 2006, 08:39 AM
Tom and I are going today (had a wedding yesterday to go to). We had a little time there on Friday and got:
- Howards orange oil and feed and wax (good for picture frames)
- some f clamps
- scroll chuck for the lathe we got from Rocabig
- some turning tools (we're beginners!)
- mortising gauge
- band clamp

Today we're keen to look at shoulder planes, japanese pull saws, planer blade setters and morticising chisels.

We're also keen to meet Neil and crew (with some bikkies in hand - gotta make those now...;) ) and get some Ubeaut products and demos.:)

There is a piece of blackheart sassafras up the back that I was drooling over, but it's $300...

See you there today!

Cheers
Tom and Danielle

Bob Willson
14th May 2006, 10:02 AM
Happy birthday Neil and a thank you for your help at the WWW. Nice to meet U & Beaut, (not so sure about the axe wielding mongrel :D )You saved us quite a bit of money. :)

Simomatra
14th May 2006, 10:41 AM
Happy Bithday Neil

Good to finally put a few faces to names

My small haul was a set of Japenese water stones and water well
Gifkin jigs

Exador
14th May 2006, 11:34 AM
Well, I didn't buy anything at all, but I did get to meet some of the forumites and was pleased to discover that there wasn't an extra head among the lot of them :D. Nice also to get to meet the U-Beaut team and the Jim Carroll, who very kindly let me put some flyers for the club on his stand. I was also lucky to have Doug and Jules come and pitch their tent overnight on Friday in the shed. I've discovered that Doug and I share the same deep appreciation of Messrs Lion & Nathan's fine product from Milton (that's XXXX, for the Mexicans):D. 2:30 in the am and a large pile of cans and stubbies were the result:D.

At the show I was glad to get a look at the Peterson ASM, which is an automated "mobile" mill. I was very keen to see it, as I have a video from Peterson which is truly impressive, but I have to say I was underwhelmed in the metal. The automation was fine, to a point, but the rest of the design was disappointing, I thought. It wasn't very confidence-inspiring to watch wedges being driven under the rails to "level" them up while the slabber was working its way through a log :eek:. The Lucas is a much better system in that respect, ISTM.

All-in-all, very inspiring stuff on show everywhere.

doug the slug
14th May 2006, 07:53 PM
well we left burnett heads at 5.20 on friday and arrived at teh show at about 9.55, good timing or what? intorduced us to the u-beaut team of Neil and Pauline then we went wandering and found Felder (on the felder stand of course).
then Babylon5 found us and we set out to combine our buying power to force some serious discounts. we both wanted a jointer and a dust extractor as well as a few minor items (i got a flush cut saw and a saddle square). after a quick lap of carbatec and timbecon and other sites we decided that timbecon had the ones we wanted and managed to strike a fair bargain with Ross from Timbecon, saving well over 10% each on our respective purchases. in the process, we discovered that carbatec hadnt brought out all the things that were on our list so a trip to their shop in coorparoo was suddenly added to the agenda for saturday.
anyway we left the show about 4.30pm and headed out to Exador's shed at archerfield, just beating the rush hour traffic, went out to a chinese reataurant at sunnybank with exador, his 2 kids and a couple of his friends for a great dinner, then back to his shed where the now famous pile of xxxx stubbies and cans was fully constructed at about 2.30am saturday morning, when i crawled into the tent.
We escaped from exador's shed with some nice pieces of jacaranda and camphor laurel somewhere around 9.30am and went to carbatec to get the things they hadnt taken to the show, (picture framin kit and mat cutter for jools, moisture meter and diamond sharpeners for me. they had sold out of the spiral upcut bits i wanted).
from carbatec to the show. met too many forumites to mention by name. bought a z-vise almost by accident, some big clamps and a whippersnipper head. we left about 3.30 and got home about 8.30 after dropping in on a friend at chevallum. all inall a great weekend

rockola
14th May 2006, 10:21 PM
Here are a couple of snapshots from the show. Special thanks to the UBeaut crew for arranging the Forum discount tickets. It was good to meet a few fellow Forumites, too bad I can never remember anyone's name on the first go...

Picture 1: UBeaut crew @ the UBeaut stand
Picture 2: Bill Paulin and his magnificent electric double basses
Picture 3: A young violinist giving a GuScott electric violin a workout
Picture 4,5: General mayhem in the outside area

Jack E
14th May 2006, 11:08 PM
Well we made it back home to Townsville after a hectic few weeks of wedding, honeymoon and wood show:)

I have allready put the new toys in the workshop (Thicknesser and tenoning jig), and the new Whitegood in the kitchen (Wife).

It was great to meet some new people and catch up with some old ones, or people I had met before:)

Cheers, Jack

TEEJAY
15th May 2006, 10:09 AM
Many happy returns for yesterday Neil - good to see you at the show even though very briefly.

On Saturdat met Neil and Neil, , Midge, Mark and Daphne, Joe all in a flash as we worked our way about taking in as much as possible. Poor Wendy was conspicuous in her absence.

I had a very cheap day till the last ten minutes when i then decided to collect all the things I spied throughout the day. It was a very pleasant day for me although nothing overly new or awesomely impressive - much the same as previous years.

I got 12 clock mechanisms from Jonathon Knowles and some photo/timber inserts $220 (asked for a discount for volume got none but they gave me a 80mm forstner bit for clock inserts :) ), some big sheets of furry backed 120,150,180 grit sandpaper $66 from the inlay tent guy outside and 1200 wet and dry 10 sheets $5, got another forstener bit 60mm and some liquid glass $90 and some Huon Pine $10 yep a huge piece of log :rolleyes:

Didn't find the timber slab department too fantastic this year but hey I was there on Sat and maybe a lot of the best was snapped up on Friday - Last year I was there Friday and was swamped with school kids, pensioners and nervous security and stall holders - always a shame the thieves tarnish an otherwise great day for the stallholders.

Didn't see any displays in the halls unfortunately as I was not that well organised. I did hang about outside and watch the Lucas Mill guys slide their machine into one of the log holding down brackets :eek: and that was the end of that display. I also watched the woodwizz guys put their machine through it's paces and to my surprise in the 10minutes I watched they were making cuts about 3-5mm into the top surface and the mator jambed from overloading 4 times - it is a great setup and the motor remarkably quiet but I didn't expect it to get bogged so many times. The timber was camphour laurell too - a good hardwood hmmmm. Of course I have made the poormans woodwizz limited to slabs well about (let me go and measure) 800 x 1200 theirs 1900 x 4000 - I know I know but mine was free with stuff I had :D . Pics on that soon.

Four years ago I was stunned as I didn't know most of the things on display at the show. Three years ago I was excited as i hunted gathered and bought heaps. These days I wish to upsize to gear they don't bother taking to these shows and I find myself looking just for new ideas and gadgets. It's very much a fun day out and hey i find it kinda bizzaar that there are a lot of strange woodie creatures out there just like me. :D :D