PDA

View Full Version : natural edge technique

ticklingmedusa
18th May 2006, 07:14 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #c0aa94" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Some moron has started plonking bloody Croc crap in the WOODTURNING forum, obviously the reptile is somewhat brighter than the idiot!!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Okay maybe I am a bloody moron (my wife always tells me the same thing)... but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to safely sand and finish the inside of a natural edged bowl.
I have just rough turned my first attempt and to tell you the truth when I think about sanding in there
its almost like attempting to shake hands with a chainsaw wielding crocodillian of extraordinary magnitude and
this photo comes to mind.
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0%2C20281%2C18966655-5001022%2C00.html
How do I do this safely?
No, really.
tm

Cliff Rogers
18th May 2006, 08:30 PM
Take your left thong off, ( the one on ya foot), cut the heel off it, wrap ya 80grit gouge around it, point it DOWN, advance it towards the spinning object til it makes a purring noises, now change grits as required.
Job done.

If you are a power sander, same thing without the thong.

cedar n silky
18th May 2006, 11:00 PM
Cliff your talking to a yank there and they might not know what a thong is. I think they call them flip flops or something like that!:D

CameronPotter
19th May 2006, 10:21 AM
Regardless of what they call them, it sound like good advice!

I had wondered the same thing myself.

Thanks

Cam

Hickory
19th May 2006, 11:29 AM
Check out Jim Ketron at http://www.flyingcurls.com/Ketron.html He seems to be pretty well versed on the ordeal. Look at his videos, takes a time to down load but worth the wait.

Cliff Rogers
19th May 2006, 02:10 PM
Cliff your talking to a yank there and they might not know what a thong is. ...

That's why I said "the one on your foot" :D

rsser
20th May 2006, 11:29 AM
And this doesn't thin the leading edge more than the trailing edge?

(To avoid this I've used a power sander with the piece stationery, using even strokes and a light touch.)

Cliff Rogers
20th May 2006, 01:40 PM
And this doesn't thin the leading edge more than the trailing edge?

(To avoid this I've used a power sander with the piece stationery, using even strokes and a light touch.)

It does if you push too hard, yes.

ticklingmedusa
22nd May 2006, 01:56 PM
Cliff, that worked well for me. I listened for a purr as mentioned but it was more of a low mumble with a stutter. It was a nice blank of Coolabah burl and now everyone who sees the bowl wants one like it.
Hickory, I tried the Ketron video clips and only
could get the audio. i'll speak to the computer wizard here and try again, its bookmarked.
Can I put my thong back on now? :eek:
Greenies & thanks for the replys,
tm

rsser
22nd May 2006, 02:10 PM
Cliff, that worked well for me. I listened for a purr as mentioned but it was more of a low mumble with a stutter. tm

Seems we have differences here in accent or even dialect .. as to how you recognise a dipthong.

Cliff Rogers
22nd May 2006, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a crossword puzzle clue...

15 Down. a low mumble with a stutter, 4 letters. :cool:

rsser
22nd May 2006, 07:12 PM
Sorry, should have been diphthong .... laboured pun on dip-thong and the different sounds it might make. :o

K, back to the workshop.