PDA

View Full Version : Can't change the belt, help!

Tiger
20th May 2006, 03:20 PM
Dear all,

The v-belt on my lathe frayed and broke:mad: and so I bought a new one, which is an M23. I have not been able to put the replacement one on though. It uses the pulley system where as you move the lever, the diameter of the pully changes so that the flanges either move closer or further from each other. I have had to move the lever to the highest speed just to get the belt on, but then as soon as I turn it on, the belt just slips off. What I am doing wrong, the headstock pulley is very narrow and I can't see how to widen it easily. Thank you in advance for any help.

Tiger
20th May 2006, 04:06 PM
Just worked out that the headstock pulley can be expanded enough for the belt to sit on:o and now the belt will sit in the pulley. Was a bit worried about prying the delicate pulley with a screwdriver but seems to have withstood the screwdriver. Nice to be able to answer my own question ,thanks Tiger, now back to the lathe.

DanP
20th May 2006, 06:06 PM
Tiger,

Had the same problem with mine. I removed both outer pulleys, the one on the motor and the one on the headstock shaft and cleaned up the insides with bit of emery plus all the mating parts on all four pulleys. Get the pulleys sos that they move freely on the shaft and then reassemble with a little bit of lubricant. You'll be amazed how easy your speed change is after that.

Dan

Tiger
22nd May 2006, 12:45 PM
Dan,

Just a question or 3 what does sos mean? You say you took off 4 pulleys do you mean the sides of the 2 that are there and did you have any trouble with the circlip?

DanP
22nd May 2006, 07:24 PM
Sorry Tiger - typo. Should be 'so'.

when I say 4 pulleys I mean both halves of both pulleys. I have circlip pliers so they weren't an issue. Get some, they don't cost much.

Dan