PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of ground fleas

reybec
20th May 2006, 08:55 PM
just wondering if anyone knows what i can put on the ground (non poisonous) to get rid of fleas,we have recently noticed (within the last 2 weeks) a lot of fleas in the yard.
other neighbours are complaining of this also and one suggested spreading lime.we haven't had this problem before.
would this or something else work.

please help as it's sending the dogs crazy and costing us a fortune in flea control stuff for them.

ozwinner
20th May 2006, 09:03 PM
just wondering if anyone knows what i can put on the ground (non poisonous) .

Huh??
You want to entertain the flees?
If not, you have to poison them.

Al :confused:

reybec
20th May 2006, 09:11 PM
with what?

ozwinner
20th May 2006, 09:27 PM
I have no idea, but if you dont kill ( poison ) them, they will just keep breeding,

Al :confused:

journeyman Mick
20th May 2006, 10:44 PM
You'll need to spray something on the ground to poison them (check with your vet or rural supples/feed store) plus you'll need to give the dogs something to stop the breeding cycle of the fleas, otherwise they'll just reinfest the ground. If you don't treat both the dogs, the ground and your neighbours don't do the same you'll never get rid of them.

Mick

ptc
21st May 2006, 11:47 AM
Move !

reybec
21st May 2006, 01:26 PM
Move !

no i want the fleas to move:)

journeyman Mick
21st May 2006, 03:10 PM
no i want the fleas to move:)

They outnumber you :eek: ;)

Mick

outback
21st May 2006, 03:17 PM
Deildron, Agent Orange, 245T, Strychnine, none of these is listed as unsafe for purchse by the householder. :D

OK, none of them are listed anywhere for use. :rolleyes:

If they are your ordinary garden type variety fleas, ya gotta get rid of them on the dogs et al, work in with the neighbours and have a controlled and co-ordinated attack. Wash or whatever dogs, bedding etc. It's the only way of having any hope, a half arsed effort will result in wasted time and itchy dogs.

Cliff Rogers
21st May 2006, 03:23 PM
Ground fleas????
Is that anything like ground pepper? :rolleyes:

ele__13
21st May 2006, 04:24 PM
rock salt or lime work .. had them when we lived in NQ but as others have said u need ur neithbours to do the same and u also need to make sure ur animals cats dogs are flea guarded as well ..... cheers jules

ps u also make sure u re treat every month so u dodnt get them back

another thing we use dto do is recycle the water we had washed our dog in so the flea wash did a second job ... on its suroundings

reybec
21st May 2006, 08:03 PM
They outnumber you :eek: ;)

Mick

but i'm bigger:p

but i think they're smarter

JDub
22nd May 2006, 09:52 AM
Nice avatar ;)

Markw
23rd May 2006, 08:27 PM
We use a product called Malaban. Comes in a 4 litre container and stinks something horrid especially when applied to the dog. It also stays in the hydrobath pipes forever.

But it works.

Mix up for application to dog but in a watering can and water the lawn. Our lawn is buffalo and kykuyu and it doesn't kill it. It is an insecticide not a herbacide.

You'll need to re-apply a few times as per instructions to get rid of the eggs once they hatch. Can't get em before they hatch.

You'll also have to do inside the house - use Mortien ?? Flea Killer - its the purple aerosol can at the supermarket. Safe for just about everything except fleas and fish; cover or remove tank. Spray all your carpets and don't forget to treat under house too

JackoH
25th May 2006, 10:20 AM
Fleas(like everything other living thing) need two things to maintain the species. Sex & Food. To get these they hop onto a passing animal, preferably a cat or dog, or human! They have sex, lay their eggs, which later drop off the animal onto the carpet or wherever, and later on hatch hop onto a passing....and so on. Whilst on the animal they also have feed of blood.
It is therefore important that the life cycle is interrupted. The best place to do this is on the animal. So treat all cats and dogs which have contact with each other, yours or the neighbours,with one of the proprietry brands on the market (such as Frontline) strictly according to the directions. Spray all areas where the cats and dogs sleep or lie around and "bomb" the house, again there are plenty of products on the market for this.
Some people only treat their dogs as they believe that their cats don't have fleas.Wrong! Cats are often the major carriers. It is a fact however that cats will tolerate quite a large population of fleas without showing any outward signs, apart from an occassional scratch.
Using the above regimen it will take about three months of diligent application of the various treatments to get rid of the little varmints, but it can be done if you stick at it.
'Google' fleas. You will see what I mean.

echnidna
25th May 2006, 11:51 AM
An old homemade insecticide will do the grounds but don't use it on people or animals.

Soak a large jam tin full of cigarette butts in water overnight,
Drain off the liquid into a 20 litre bucket
add a couple of table spoons of hot chilli powder
and a couple of caps of liquid dishwashing detergent.
Fill the bucket with water and stir,

Apply to lawns, gardens and ground with a watering can.
(Keep agitatng it to keep the chilli in suspension.)

It will get rid of the fleas and all other insects.

Don't get it in your eyes and wash your hands throughly after use.

(p.s. tobacco was widely used as an insecticide before DDT was invented)

The first time I used it on my garden there was a large cloud of insects escaping from the tomatoes.

Bob38S
25th May 2006, 03:10 PM

(p.s. tobacco was widely used as an insecticide before DDT was invented)

Does this mean I shouldn't have any bugs in me???
Haven't smoked a cigarette since 1977 ~ [Un]fortunately I smoke cigars - as they are bigger - does this mean I can get rid of bigger bugs???

Bob
:D:D:D

echnidna
25th May 2006, 05:00 PM
It means all your butts can be recycled into insecticide.