PDA

View Full Version : using a dust extractor with a lathe

joseph84
20th May 2006, 09:33 PM
My neighbour is a keen turner and he hasnt got access to the internet and wants me to ask the wood turning experts out there a question on his behalf.

He has just purchased a 1 hp dust extractor for this lathe and wants to know what attachments you can buy that suits a wood lathe. Or if possible (seeing his a pensioner) if its possible to make a jig that connects the hose to the lathe some how?

Any ideas appreciated :)

cheers

Joseph

journeyman Mick
20th May 2006, 10:23 PM
Joseph,
my brother has a "Y" fitting under the lathe with a big dust chute under the ways of the lathe plus a smaller chute on an adjustable arm behind the lathe. Seems to catch most of the dust and shavings. Check out Gary Pye's or Carbatec website as they stock a lot of plastic fittings that are suitable. My lathe is in pieces somewhere in the shed (well actually in several places in the shed). One day........

Mick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th May 2006, 10:36 PM
Sadly,lathes aren't the easiest equipment to hook dust extraction up to. I've settled for a compromise setup to increase it's versatility:

A movable stand with a basic hood/scoop that connects to my ductwork, so I can move it into approximately the best position while turning. A floor sweep, which is basically a scoop on the floor, also connected to the DC, that I can sweep shavings into.

It doesn't get all the shavings, not by a long shot. But it does collect the worst of the dust/small particles during turning and the heavier shavings aren't a health hazard... they're also quickly and easily sent to the floor sweep with a flick of the broom. :)

The hoods can be made from MDF, tin, a cardboard box, anything to hand. The hardest part was bulding the stand to put it on. ;)

joseph84
20th May 2006, 10:44 PM
thanks guys, i will print off the posts for him and he can do as he pleases. Ive seen some home made versions but i dont know how you can see what your doing behind all that perspex!

rsser
21st May 2006, 05:43 PM
Cos the shavings and dust go everywhere from a lathe there isn't a simple way of trapping it.

The best option is to suck up the dust as much as possible when sanding, and there are devices around that may help. Check out the online retailers for ideas that can be replicated at home. I'm told that carpet sellers may have heavy 4" cardboard tube that can be used for ducting.

Other than that, it's a pan and brush job after the deed is done.

hingston
22nd May 2006, 02:59 PM
I put one together recently. You should be able to do it for undrer $20 and be don in less than 1hr. You will pick up just about all the sanding dust and about 75% of the turning shavings.

I have my lathe mounted on a open style bench I built an plenum from some constuction ply (scraps from building site - free) attached "jointer connector" to one end for the dust collector.

Next I dirlled a few holes thru the bench into the plenum. In between the rails and to the back.

For maximum suction i have a bit of ply to block of holes that arent collecting anything.

Works pretty good and cleanup afeter a turning session is easy.

Let me know it it is too confusing and I will try and post some pics.

hughie
23rd May 2006, 02:11 AM
Hingston,

Yep, I would appreciate some pics, my dyslexia runs riot with the instructions :D :D :D

hughie

hingston
23rd May 2006, 02:31 PM
I will work out how to do it and have them up in the next couple of days

Dean
23rd May 2006, 03:36 PM
These things are handy for use with the lathe, particularly if you have room to swing them around a bit :)
http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/dust-picker-13372.aspx