PDA

View Full Version : MILDURA - Timber Supplies

masoth
21st May 2006, 02:09 PM
A few members show their location as Mildura and I have a question for them (in particular).
Where, locally, do you get wood? I don't mean Bunnings, etc., but, say, a block of decent quality, seasoned wood to be creative with.

I'm sick of ringing to be told "Nah, Mate. Dunno.", or, "I can let Ya have trailer lots for $xxxx ".

Please, :mad: soth

Gabrielle
29th May 2006, 11:54 PM
Good day to you.
Have just joined this forum, stumbled on the site by accident tonight boy is it full of great info. Now the woodies delima - where to get good wood at the right price i.e. for nothing - I'm located at Torrumbarry about a 1000 kms up stream from you and am surrounded by beautiful wood. Not to be had because of it being in the bush. I work with slabs, stumps and sticks for bush furniture and some horrible woodturning projects!!! I have pounded the pavement and touched base with a number of licensed loggers with some success. Have managed to get hold of some really nice lumps of really good dry wood for just a few $$ and some free. Also am thinking of placing an add in local paper in the wanted to section. What type of wood work do you do? Hope this has been helpful. Work well and stay safe. Gabby

rev
30th May 2006, 01:09 PM
G'day masoth,
A good place to start is the woodturners club that meets at MADEC; if they don't have what you want there is usually someone to point you in the right direction - very helpful blokes really. Otherwise, try the Merbein sawmills if you want redgum. You could also try Richard Baker who has opened a Mik International franchise if you want exocit blanks; reach him at [email protected]
Cheers.

conwood
11th August 2006, 01:56 PM
Hey Soth,
Can't help with big stuff in your area, but I have played with almond and apricot timber. It's very nice and grainy and hard. Peach would also be good.

Or, go to garage sales etc and buy cheap old furniture items which can be dis assembled and the timber used for your projects.

And, keep an eye for trees being cut down in yourt neighbourhood.

Conwood-
ex Renmark down the road from you

masoth
12th August 2006, 10:49 AM
Good day to you.
Have just joined this forum, stumbled on the site by accident tonight boy is it full of great info. ...................................... What type of wood work do you do? Hope this has been helpful. Work well and stay safe. Gabby

Your first statement is VERY true - I spend hours sorting through the topics which takes me away from my playroom. I try to 'do' all things, and specialize in none, but I particularly like to start with some part of a dead tree; not stuff from Bunnings.

Thanks, Conwood and Rev. Rev what day and time does the Mildura woodies meet?

soth