PDA

View Full Version : OK... So now I am just showing off...

CameronPotter
21st May 2006, 09:47 PM
G'Day,

Well, here is a bit of proof that the compressed fibre and resin (pseudo-micarta) can be used for others things than pens...

I have never made a bracelet before, but this seemed to work.

I used Skew's idea of using the pen mandrel. I glued in a 10mm tube and turned the bracelet, but I had trouble parting it off. It was a little awkward getting in and cutting the inner bit on the lathe. I could probably make a tool to make this easier, but I did not do it this time.

Thus, I attacked it from two sides trying to part it off by scraping with the point of a skew chisel, but the two edges didn't meet up very well, so I needed to do a bit more filing afterwards.

Still, I am thrilled with the result. :D

ss_11000
21st May 2006, 10:31 PM
cool, great stuff cam......so wats u making next with this stuff?

CameronPotter
21st May 2006, 10:49 PM
I am getting a hankering to make a knife again, but that is a pretty time consuming thing as I am not really properly set up for it right now...

I would love to make a bowl, but the size of the cloth lay up would be HUGE... :(

Anyway, thanks - but tomorrow I show my toughest critic, my girlfriend... ;)

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd May 2006, 10:21 AM
I am getting a hankering to make a knife again, but that is a pretty time consuming thing as I am not really properly set up for it right now...

I know how that goes... but I've just had a metre of 4x38mm Damasteel (Odin's Eye pattern) fall into my lap. http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

So can you guess who's going to unpack the Smiths jig and PASC for the bench-grinder? (If I can find where I've stowed it all... :o ) It's worth too much to experiment with though, I'll play safe and probably end up with a traditional shagreen-wrapped hilt; no pseudo-micarta or turning involved. :(

Has your critic passed verdict yet?

CameronPotter
22nd May 2006, 10:35 AM
How did you manage that?!?:eek: :D

Actually, I am in a similar situation.

I have three blanks of kevin cashen damascus that I am terrified to touch. I figured out how much each was worth and I can't bring myself to touch them.

One day... What was that you were saying about your 200th birthday on another post? ;)

The critic sees it at lunchtime. :D

Cam

jmk89
22nd May 2006, 11:00 AM
Your mentions of the "critic" reminds me of the description that Arthur Ransome (author of the Swallows and Amazons children's books) had for his SWMBO - who was a very tough critic of his work.

He called her "The critic on the hearth" (those who read Charles Dickens will remember his Christmas Story, "The cricket on the hearth").

Actually, Mrs Ransome was an interesting woman, she was Russian and Ransome met her in Russia during the Russian Revolution when she was Trotsky's secretary.

I hope your critic likes the bangles

Jeremy

rsser
22nd May 2006, 02:02 PM
Hope she fared better than Trotsky did.

CameronPotter
22nd May 2006, 02:59 PM
All clear fellas.

Actually, I got the much coveted reply of - "You should make more of these and sell them..."

:D

Cam

jmk89
22nd May 2006, 03:09 PM
Hope she fared better than Trotsky did.

Yes, she died of natural causes in England in 1976.

ss_11000
22nd May 2006, 07:27 PM
All clear fellas.

Actually, I got the much coveted reply of - "You should make more of these and sell them..."

:D

Cam

but does she wear them???

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd May 2006, 10:59 PM

http://www.ubeaut.biz/approval.gif

CameronPotter
23rd May 2006, 10:29 AM
but does she wear them???

There is only one but I took a photo of both sides and with my usual flair with the camera managed to underexpose one picture... But, yes she put it on immediately, although it was a little tight.

It is more like the colour of the brighter version.

I have some more plans on track, which I will write up if I figure out how to heat the resin so that it sets. I might build a heat box with a globe...

I might also build a glass box which I could simply leave out in the sun? :confused: