PDA

View Full Version : free to good home ...

Jenny Brandis
22nd May 2006, 11:24 PM
I bet that title got you interested :)

Actually I am offering the good home for the tool that makes captive rings - if you have one that you don't want anymore.......

The trick will be that I will be doing (or at least attempting to teach myself to do) captive rings on the lace bobbins I make. Please remember that the bobbin blanks are approx 1/4 inch square so the rings are going to be - shall we say - smallish?

Cliff Rogers
23rd May 2006, 12:46 AM
G'day Jen, here's a tip, make your own....

Next time you are at the hardware shop, have a look for long concrete nails.
I found a packet of 10 concrete nails about 60 or 70mm long (can't remember) for about $5.
I wanted them to make awls from but at one of the turnouts that I went to a couple of years ago, a bloke 'borrowed' one off me, turned a handle for it & then carefuly ground it to make a miniture ring cutting tool.

The concrete nails are good tough steel.

Make the handle first, drive the nail in point firts & then grind the head to the shape you want/need. Point or hook. ;)

Jenny Brandis
23rd May 2006, 01:22 AM
Fantastic idea Cliff, now how do I make a handle? Well, maybe I should have asked how do I get the hole for the nail in the rignt place as every time I have tried to drill in the end of the weed pots I tried to make, the &%#( drill was off centre - even when I put the drill in the jacobs chuck in the tail thingy on the lathe. :(

Yes I know guys, a bad workman always blames his tools but I is female LOL

hughie
23rd May 2006, 01:56 AM
Fantastic idea Cliff, now how do I make a handle? Well, maybe I should have asked how do I get the hole for the nail in the rignt place as every time I have tried to drill in the end of the weed pots I tried to make, the &%#( drill was off centre - even when I put the drill in the jacobs chuck in the tail thingy on the lathe. :(

Yes I know guys, a bad workman always blames his tools but I is female LOL
Jenny you can drill through your tail stock ie a long drill - no chuck, or just simply drill it first and turn it afterwards. That way it should be on centre.

http://www.recordpower-usa.com/mastering_long_hole_boring_by_al.htm

http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/site/articles/techniques/drilling.html

hughie

arose62
23rd May 2006, 08:42 AM
Here's my first captive ring, using a tool I made from a concrete nail.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9524&d=1118223289

Cheers,
Andrew

Jim Carroll
23rd May 2006, 08:51 AM
Jenny drill the hole in the end of your wood blank first on your pedestal drill.
Put the blank between centres on your lathe with the live centre going into the hole you have drilled. This should help with it runing true between centres.
Plan B drill the hole as indicated push the nail into the peice of wood then put the nail with the blank into a drill chuck on your lathe and bring up the tailstock for support. If the drilling was not perfect it will not matter too much as the tail stock will support the handle and you can then true up the blank, turn to your desired shape.

Cliff Rogers
23rd May 2006, 05:06 PM
What Jim says. ;)

Hambone
23rd May 2006, 05:13 PM
Hi Jenny,
Not wanting to appear a smart #### but I have made mine out of an old small flat file .I sofened the tang end removed the tang then ground the end so that it had a small piece sticking out about an 1/8" I then with a small round jewelers file made a hollow into the 1/8" bit .I then shaped the metal around the hollow so that it looked like a hook on the straight bit .Being flat the tool can be easily controled on the tool post .Now I bet that is as clear as mud .Depending how often you are going to use the tool it could be made out of a bit of flat bar .Go to the local Fang Farrier he may have some old tools that could be converted easily.

Ron

JackoH
23rd May 2006, 05:17 PM
What's been said above. Plus, you can also make them from old allen keys. Saw off the shortend and carefully grind and shape and sharpen with a file, make a handle as above and bingo!
Now,is that quite clear?

arose62
23rd May 2006, 06:17 PM
Jenni,

I assume you haven't replied yet because you are making one of each suggestion, and are going to post the definitive web site reviewing all options, and showing them in action, complete with pros and cons.;)

Cheers,
Andrew

Jenny Brandis
24th May 2006, 01:12 AM
It is a sad day for me, I thought I was going to get a Jet lathe, scroll chuck and pin jaws - all to myself! I had even got to the ordering stage - and it ended up being that the freight to this piece of earth was the deal breaker. :(:(:(

Now, my husband has decided we should "share" the delta midi he has been monopolising rather than buy me a mini lathe of my own :( but I had got my heart and hopes up.

But, I have bought the nails, scrounged a handle from an old jigsaw and waiting for the aradite to set hard before I take the next step. Will keep you informed.

Jenny Brandis
25th May 2006, 09:08 PM
Go to the local Fang Farrier

Just worked out who you meant:) Shall try to get down to see him tomorrow - Monday at the latest.

My first effort is a fizzhog - but will ground down past that and try again in the morrow.