PDA

View Full Version : trekking or bushwalking poles - crafted handles

tel_braithwaite
22nd May 2006, 11:56 PM
hoping somebody can help me - is it possible to have manufactured in accordance with my own autocad design, a particular style of handle (not the shaft, just the handle) for 'trekking' or shall we say, dual bushwalking poles. The grip is symmetrical, so can be turned by machine.

require a light timber with some character in the graining. Can i supply my own timber to somebody to do this for me? Although i love gidgee and western desert timbers, i'm after lightweight stuff in particular but do not want to add to (in my own little way) the chopping down of Malaysian, PNG, Solomon Is rainforest timbers.

I'm just wondering if there is anybody 'out there' in the woodturning world who has a computerised lathe to enable a consistant reproduction? Potentially down the track, the ultimate idea is to mass market a particular novel product.

live in the north west side of Brissy, but would avail myself of anybody's expertise from anywhere if the above could be facilitated.

regards,
tel

CameronPotter
23rd May 2006, 10:17 AM
I'm sure that someone in Brissy would have a CNC woodlathe, but it might be best to look in the phone book?

Good luck

Cam

silentC
23rd May 2006, 10:18 AM
I'd imagine that the majority of turned wooden products available these days, such as door knobs, are turned this way. I doubt anybody on here would have a computer controlled lathe but you never know. You might have better luck finding a manufacturer but like a lot of things it's probably cheaper done elsewhere.

There is an attachment you can get for a lathe which allows you to make a copy of an exisiting turned item, or to use a two dimensional template to turn a profile. They're not very expensive - $200 - $300 or so. You could print out your autocad cross section, transfer it to a bit of ply, and away you go.

echnidna
23rd May 2006, 10:32 AM
What level of precision do you need for the handles?
An experienced turner can get high level repeatability easily.
This might suit for your intital prototypes and marketing launch.

If you hit the bigtime and want them by the tens of thousands then thats another matter.

Have a chat to , he hangs off a woodlathe for a crust.

If he can't help and the order is definite and large numbers pm me.

soundman
24th May 2006, 01:01 AM
The common current fixation with CNC machineing I find interesting.

people have been doing repition work on the wood lathe for over a century in fact the wood lathe was one of the first tools of repition engineering.

While CNC machining has very strong advantages in metalwork those same advantages don't necessariliy flow into timberwork as effectively.

Use of templates, jigs and good work method will get you the form you need.
You just need a worker who can read a drawing.

Besides with wood turning, the forming of the shape is only part of the process.
Sanding & finishing is usualy done in the lathe without removing the job from the lathe.
The sanding & finishing may take as much time as the formimg.

may be "the woodworker previously known as Mathew A" might be interested. He has ben known to do repition work & is prety fast by all accounts.
He's up the coast.

cheers

tel_braithwaite
25th May 2006, 11:50 PM
thank U very much for your suggestion, i will take that on board, i'm new to this - thus your advice is triffic and highly esteemed by me.

tel_braithwaite
25th May 2006, 11:55 PM
i may contact , tho at this stage of the game, i'm attempting to do a plaster caste of handles in lieu of the autocad thingy (can't get my computer literate kiddy off games long enough to do proper design). The advice is appreciated.

tel_braithwaite
25th May 2006, 11:57 PM
take on board your comments, i do mean to get the suitable equipment myself at a later date so your advice re. the equipment needed is 'the bees-knees' for me and i thank U for your input.

tel_braithwaite
25th May 2006, 11:59 PM
ta for that cam, i will indeed have a better gawk in the local phonebook.

rsser
26th May 2006, 04:13 PM
FWIW, as a bushwalker/x-country skier, the handles I see on the market at the moment are asymmetrical and made of some kind of high density form rubber. There's one wooden knob version that doubles as a (pretty useless) camera monopod.

tel_braithwaite
30th May 2006, 11:03 PM
ta for the response Ern,

as a bushwalker, perhaps you'll understand what i'm railing on about here.

There is a bunch of so called 'nordic walkers' world-wide (bigger in finland of course) who have used basically extended metal ski poles, that one lifts and plants as one walks - by the very nature of this method of pole assisted walking, assymmetrical grips are Ok.

However, this 'faddy' style of walking/trekking is a bit of bull####e as far as i'm concerned as i've used for some 20 years two much longer WOODEN poles for bushwalking, almost chin height. One pushes along behind and drags the pole back to approx foot alignment before pushing back again. This can be effected with longer poles utilising the natural movement of the arm ,,, cf. the attenuated short stride action espoused by the nordic walking 'fraternity' - silly beggars actually run courses, have trainers, produce videos etc etc etc. and they all have 'the wrong end of the stick' so to speak!

Be that as it may, the big fad lies in production of cold hard steel/carbon composites/rubber etc. by leki and other manufacturers - none of these products can match the warmth and 'living' beauty of carved timber handles, screwed and glued onto light-weight poles ,,,, certainly not onto a dense hardwood pole. And good timber is hardly ever likely to break - well certainly not the carved handles - and i've never broken my timber shafts.

Symetrical grips from the sense of a different walking technique with longer poles, are more advantageous, allowing greater flexibility in the use of bushwalking poles in diverse terrain.

I've got a novel idea for the particular shape of hand grips that promise better functionality when venturing off the track and i think symetrically carved timber would be the better way to go, as opposed to the nordic walking 'mania'.

regards,
tel

rsser
31st May 2006, 01:52 PM
You sound passionate about your idea tel, which I'm told is an essential quality of entrepreneurs! Go for it.

The longer pole and method you mention sound similar to what's used in XC skating technique. It's not good for leaning on, which is bad form in any kind of XC skiing in any case.

scooter
1st June 2006, 01:36 AM
tel, what about using bamboo for the poles?

tel_braithwaite
1st June 2006, 01:58 AM
yep thanks for that, suitable treated i spose bamboo can be strong and reasonably durable and used for bushwalking probably has the appropriate 'give'/absorption of shock and perhaps can be affixed to other type of wood handles ,,,,, food for thought - ta.:)

tel_braithwaite
1st June 2006, 02:11 AM
i note also ern, that XC skiers use fairly long poles - with the emphasis on thrust behind, same effect basically can be used for bushwalking, as i say proponents of nordic walking have not tweaked to the 'shushing' effect of long poles because they think ergonomics are different when there is no snow about ,,,,, but i beg to differ, just a case of getting used to the style of longer poles.

Yep sorry to bore U with this but yor right, i'm passionate on this issue cos i seem to be out of step with millions (or so nordic walking converts tell me) millions worldwide who use bloody downhill ski poles ,,, or a slight variant thereof!!!!! and i think they're all crazy.

regards,
tel