PDA

View Full Version : Wood for Knife Handles

lateral
24th May 2006, 09:54 PM
Hi guys

I have a number of really good bread knifes etc that have had the handles ruined due to misuse and being put into the dishwasher etc....

I want to make some new handles and would like to know what type of wood I should be using...

Thanks

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th May 2006, 01:13 AM
Really there's no "should" about it. Any wood will do... but obviously some are better than others.

The things to look at? Hardwood is generally more durable and takes knocks better. A fine, straight-grained timber is easiest to work. Oh... and if they're going to be used for food, it'd be a good idea to select something NON-TOXIC! Cocobolo looks nice, for example, but I wouldn't bring it within 2 rooms of my kitchen. ;)

Redgum, Jarrah, Blackwood, Tas Oak, Vic Ash are all common timbers that I've used in the past and look pretty damned good, given careful selection of the pieces for nice grain.

The choice of finish is another matter... I like oiled handles, but it's not the best choicce for a dishwasher. PolyU is probably the best choice there, although to my mind it makes the handles feel plasticky.

Another option is to look at synthetics; acrylics, dymond wood, etc. Dishwasher friendly and they look good... and no need for a finish beyond sanding/polishing to a very fine grit.

lateral
25th May 2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks mate

Where can I get Dymond Wood from?

(I am in Sydney).

CameronPotter
25th May 2006, 09:28 AM
Pen turner's paradise.

Also, I would underline that it should be hardwood (although dymondwood is by definition very hard).

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th May 2006, 06:46 PM
Or Australian Knifemaking Supplies (http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/) who do mail order. Last catalogue says $11.50 for scales (25.5x4.1cm) or $12.50 for blocks (13x4x3cm) They've also got some nice timbers listed for $6.50 in either scales or blocks.

BTW, blocks are generally used for through tangs (drilled in) and scales for full tangs (a piece on each side.)

lateral
25th May 2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks mate,

I luv this forum!:) :) :) :)

CameronPotter
25th May 2006, 10:33 PM
Or Australian Knifemaking Supplies (http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/) who do mail order. Last catalogue says $11.50 for scales (25.5x4.1cm) or $12.50 for blocks (13x4x3cm) They've also got some nice timbers listed for $6.50 in either scales or blocks.

BTW, blocks are generally used for through tangs (drilled in) and scales for full tangs (a piece on each side.)

I did not know they had Dymondwood...

They are good people to deal with though!

Cam

Ianab
25th May 2006, 10:47 PM
Dishwasher will eventually kill any wood handle :(

Jarrah, blackwood etc will handle it longer, but if you make a nice knife like that, dont throw it in the dishwasher :eek:

Cheers

Ian

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th May 2006, 01:41 AM
You only do it once. :D

BobL
7th June 2006, 10:39 PM
The cheese knife handle in the photos was hand carved out from a TS bit of red-gum from my firewood heap. We've had the tree in our backyard for 28 years and following poor advice that it was riddled with white ants mistakenly had it cut down last year!!! so it's been drying for about a year.

For carving which does not require strength and to give handles a bit of character I often go for bits of timber with a bit of ripple grain in it (try the armpits of branches junctions), or with a few few cracks and defects,. Finish is a 400 and 800 grit organoil rubs followed by a bit of U-beaut Trad wax. Definitely NO diswhaser for this or any of the handles I carve.

Buzza
11th August 2006, 11:29 PM
I have a picture of a veggie knife in The Scrollers Forum that I did recently. I think the wood is Meranti or something like that. It was from a woodwork class bin. It is easy to shape, and yet appears to be firm on the steel. I'm almost done replacing the handle on an old butchers knife right now, and will post a picture of that soon.:cool:

Buzza. :)