PDA

View Full Version : a couple of eucalypt burl bowls

hughie
30th May 2006, 01:18 PM
All,

Heres a couple of eucalpyt burl bowls still in the final stages of finishing off. The darker one is the resinous type. It opened up a fair bit during the drying process, some bits of resin flew out as it was turned and so on. I like the effect of all voids. As you can see the lighter one has some dark veins of resin nothing compared to the other.

Feel free to comment on shape, form, colour etc.I find shape/form sometimes the most difficult thing to get a hold on :(

The pics are a bit ordinary, sorry for that, its my expertise with the camera showing through. :D

hughie

OGYT
30th May 2006, 01:55 PM
Hughie, those are pretty nice bowls. I LOVE that eucalyptus wood. A friend sent me a couple of small pieces, and now I'm gonna try to turn something out of it.
Any good wife would love to have these for fruit bowls, or as any other type of decorative item.
I like the shape of the lighter one the most... can't put my finger on why...looks like you've added a decorative ring to the other one... that may be the reason. I like the wood figure of the other one the best.
Good stuff... thanks for posting...
Hmmm... wonder if I could get one of those to grow really fast in Texas???

hughie
30th May 2006, 02:34 PM
TTIT,
The dark bowl has a raised edge-- hard to see - sorry :(
Shoulda put the sizes, the light one 8x3, dark 7.5x4. inches of course...showing my age now :)

The burls come from Tassy and mostly from regrowth forests especially after a big fire :confused: . http://www.aussieburls.com/
They are available in the US but.....$$$ :eek: here, I guess by comparison they given em way. http://www.leetreewoodworks.com/Burls_and_Wood.htm This guy buys them in by the ton, at around 2500AUD per cubic metre plus frieght green. Got a price on dry....6000AUD..........:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: we are in the wrong business....:D
http://www.leetreewoodworks.com/Tassie_Eucalypt.htm
Texas..why not? you have a lot growing in California. Come to think of it there quite a lot of bush fires in that state from time to time, must the odd burl around some wheres.
hughie

CameronPotter
30th May 2006, 03:14 PM
Nice work mate.

I too prefer the lighter one. It may be the photography, but the darker one doesn't look like the finish glows the same way.

Also, the raised lip on the darker one seems to disappear more into the colour of the bowl.

Still, very nice work.

Cam

rsser
30th May 2006, 05:37 PM
Nice work Hughie. That stuff can be 'exciting' to turn but it sure has great presence.

I like the rim treatment of the first one a lot.

It's hard to see the base though - maybe the photo angle doesn't do the bowl justice - looks a bit lumpy. Does it have a foot?

I can recommend Raffan's Turned Bowl Design for design ideas. Found a 2nd hand copy on ebay.

TTIT
30th May 2006, 05:56 PM
Ah-ha - we finally get to see some of your work other than the tools you make - nice stuff Hughie:D Can't say I've seen a burl with figure like that first piece before - would hazard a guess at Bimble box maybe!?!?!

So which of your hollowing gadgets did you use on those pieces???

hughie
31st May 2006, 12:09 PM
[- would hazard a guess at Bimble box maybe!?!?!

So which of your hollowing gadgets did you use on those pieces???
[/QUOTE]

TTIT. as far as I know, its eucalyptus burl, as for gadgets mainly the proforme to remove the bulk, then the ring cutter for general shape and finished off with a scraper. The out side a 3/8 bowl gouge.

Apologies for the poor qulality pics Iam gonna have another crack at it this week and work on lighting etc. As for a foot, theres not much of one. A minor mishap and lost a bit of the foot :D these things do happen.
hughie

Gil Jones
31st May 2006, 12:53 PM
Hughie, well done on the two bowls!!
Fine shape, and nice rims. If I had to choose,
I would pick the light colored one.
Great looking wood too.