PDA

View Full Version : Spindle and Detail Gouges

macca2
31st May 2006, 06:06 PM
I have what sounds like a dumb question to ask the experts out there.
I don't understand the difference between a Spindle gouge and a Detail gouge.
Do they look different.
Are their uses different

"Please explain"
Thanks Macca

TurnedAround
31st May 2006, 08:40 PM
I have looked at both of them side by side in a local woodturning supply store here in Atlanta (Highland Hardware, www.highlandhardware.com (http://www.highlandhardware.com)). From my casual observation, they appear to be the same gouge with different angles ground on the tool. The detail gouge has a much more severe grind than the spindle gouge, but the flutes are identical.

Hope this helps, Larry

RETIRED
31st May 2006, 08:46 PM
I have what sounds like a dumb question to ask the experts out there.
I don't understand the difference between a Spindle gouge and a Detail gouge.
Do they look different.
Are their uses different

"Please explain"
Thanks Macca
Yes there is a marked difference. Uses are not much different.

Until "round" gouges came on the scene most gouges were stamp forged. IE , a flat bar was hammered until it became dished down its length. For some unknown reason these are now called European or God forbid Hybrid gouges.

With the advent of manufacturers discovering that it was cheaper to machine a groove in a round bar these have taken on the name of spindle gouges. They are ground with a very shallow groove in comparison with a bowl gouge. European gouges come in various widths starting at about 3/8" to 2". Round gouges only go up to about 11/16" and for this reason I don't use them much.

Gouges can be used for roughing out, a smoothing cut, beads and coves. In some timbers that will not "clean up" with a skew a gouge can sometimes get a cleaner cut.

Detail gouges were called long and strongs in the old days. If you can imagine a square flat bar with a groove in the top and a rounded base that is a detail gouge. You could work further off the rest with less likelihood of the tool bending (or breaking) than a normal gouge and were particularly handy for doing deep narrow coves (gothic) or high sided beads (also gothic:D ). Because they are narrow in cross section they are only useful for beads and coves. They can be used in bowl work and I do use them for this occassionally.

Go here for pics.http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/ and look under products then woodturning tools.

HTH.

macca2
2nd June 2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks